Mutant plant seed farming?

I am currently thinking about farming mutated plants for training science skills. But I am missing some information about how mutation actually works in order to select which plant I want to do. Can anybody shed some light on the following questions?

1. Is the decision mutant or not taken once when a seed is generated?  If it is, that would mean shorter cycles are better or rather highest number of seeds harvested per cycle (probably Sleet Wheat with 1 seed per cycle domesticated and 1/4 seed per cycle wild as it drops 18 seeds per harvest). 

2. Does radiation intensity have the same absolute effect on seed mutation chance or is it tied to percentages of what a plant can maximally tolerate?

3. Do wild and domesticated plants have the same percentage of mutated seeds give all other conditions are the same?

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I am currently thinking about farming mutated plants for training science skills. But I am missing some information about how mutation actually works in order to select which plant I want to do. Can anybody shed some light on the following questions?

1. Is the decision mutant or not taken once when a seed is generated?  If it is, that would mean shorter cycles are better or rather highest number of seeds harvested per cycle (probably Sleet Wheat with 1 seed per cycle domesticated and 1/4 seed per cycle wild as it drops 18 seeds per harvest). 

2. Does radiation intensity have the same absolute effect on seed mutation chance or is it tied to percentages of what a plant can maximally tolerate?

3. Do wild and domesticated plants have the same percentage of mutated seeds give all other conditions are the same?

1. afaik, normal/mutant seed + variety are decided at harvest -> radiation exposure only matters at the moment of harvest. Even if it was decided when you start growing the plant, there doesn't seem to be a way to know until you harvest it... Sleet wheat and nosh sprouts give 18 and 12 seeds to analyze individually each time they produce a mutant crop (all of the same mutant variety), so you might want to consider those.

2. haven't verified that one

3. afaik, same chance

Thanks. Seems pretty clear that it is Sleet Wheat or Nosh Sprouts because of the superior seed numbers. As they are pretty close in radiation tolerance and Sleet What drops almost double the seeds per time, the choice is clear.

Also helps that I already have an establishes wild Sleet Wheat farm. Probably just going to plant some non-wild WWs between them. Hmm. Seems I finally found an application for Lead-Suits and Decon-Showers as well!

This is the best I could find to answer #2

• Increased maximum seed mutation chance from 0.33 to 0.8. Seed mutation chance now scales up to each plant's maximum radiation level. 1

So, the maximum chance for a mutation is 80% (0.8) at the maximum radiation level the plant can handle. 

One of the best radiation sources mid game are crashed satelites, with the center bottom tile having close to 2200 rad per cycle. There is a guaranteed satellite on irradiated (insert variant here) asteroids, but the crashed satellites world trait gives you something like 3 satellites on the planetoid that has the trait, usually near the surface, which is cold and perfect for sleet wheat and nosh beans.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/129835-spaced-out-update-463486/

On 1/11/2023 at 6:46 AM, Gurgel said:

Thanks. Seems pretty clear that it is Sleet Wheat or Nosh Sprouts because of the superior seed numbers.

Wheat also demands the most radiation, 10k rads/c; most other crops blossoms included cap at 3,6k so if you can't reach those numbers you'll be turning dirt into food instead of mutated seeds.
On another note, the infrastructure to study grain or beans will be more complicated than the one for 'regular' seeds as you'll want to sort the mutated grain/beans from regular ones and afterwards, store them in a place your duplicants can access while automatically sending regular seeds to your food storage. You could also place botanical analyzers in your kitchen.

Archived