EDIT: Solved (Help, please: 10 times more steam than I was expecting in my cooling box (from salt water). What happened?)

I have a map with lots of salt water. And I'm lazy. So I used salt water in some thermo aquatuner cooling boxes. (At least I think the salt water is the problem -- I haven't had this issue with any water-filled cooling boxes.)

There is now over 1000 kg of steam in the cooling box, making the steam turbine's liquid output pipe unoperational due to being over pressure.

I solved ("solved") the issue on another similar cooling box by piping water form the steam turbine elsewhere until there was less than 1000kg of steam in the cooling box. But I'd like to understand the mechanic of what happened here.

Has anyone had this problem? Or can anyone explain how/why there is ten times more steam than in an identical setup using water rather than salt water? (Thanks!)

ONI-SW1000kgSteam.png

23 minutes ago, SomeRandomFinn said:

can anyone explain how/why there is ten times more steam than in an identical setup using water rather than salt water?

10 times? You mean you put 100kg of salt water in there and it output 1000kg? If you had full tiles, water would be 1000kg per tile while salt water would be 1100kg per tile (assuming you fill the whole room with 1 liquid). Conversion to steam for water is 1:1 so you will have 1000kg of steam, while salt water would be 1023kg steam (out of 1100kg of salt water) and 77kg of salt.

For steam boxes I usually put two different liquids so they can stack. That way you don't need to put full tiles of a liquid in order to cover two tiles high room.

29 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

10 times? You mean you put 100kg of salt water in there and it output 1000kg? If you had full tiles, water would be 1000kg per tile while salt water would be 1100kg per tile (assuming you fill the whole room with 1 liquid). Conversion to steam for water is 1:1 so you will have 1000kg of steam, while salt water would be 1023kg steam (out of 1100kg of salt water) and 77kg of salt.

For steam boxes I usually put two different liquids so they can stack. That way you don't need to put full tiles of a liquid in order to cover two tiles high room.

Hmm... Yeah, not at all 10 times. I was comparing to the amount of steam in a volcano steam room, not a cooling box (oops). More like double the amount of steam I was expecting. I usually fill my water cooling boxes with only water. And they end up with 500-600 kg of steam. (So just enough water to have filled a two-high box.)

I thought I filled the salt water until it just covered two tiles high. Which, even with salt water creating more steam than water, should have left enough space for the steam. But maybe I just let it fill too much. Will have to pay more attention in the future.

Thanks.

Even if you had half a tile full of sat water for the second row, the vent would still get overpressured momentarily because there will be both water and steam in this two tile high room so the steam on the vent could get well above 1000kg.
This build had one row of full tiles of salt water and second row half full (~500kg)
image.thumb.png.393907da2c6d6f4a9836205f4c9a3c33.png

There is a chance some of the steam or water was duplicated during the process of the vent getting on and off being overpressured after running for a long time but my first guess would be overfilling the room with salt water

Archived