Modding Guidelines - Supply Closet

With new Supply Closet system being released, it would be good to clarify what is permitted for modders to do in that area and what mods are undesired. Of course, unlocking paid items with free mods is out of the question, but there are plenty of other things modders could potentially want to do there, for example (but not limited to):

- adding more visual variants to Artables, furnitures, etc without using Supply Closet system

- adding more items to the Supply Closet

- adding items that are inspired by official Supply Closet blueprints, but with distinctive moddifications (Art artwork parody, Drywal using the same pattern in different color, etc)

- changing GUI of the Supply Closet or blueprints section in the build menu

- using unlocked items from the Closet (eg. spawning duplicant with randomly generated outfit from the unlocked parts)

@JoeW I'm sure you worked out the rules for similar system in DST, can we have official statement about new ONI system? We wouldn't want to work on something that would cross your modding policies and expectations. Thanks!

I am also very interested in the answers to the first 3 points.

My Festive Decor mod is going to need to be updated to either embrace or avoid this system depending on the answer.
I would really like to provide the festive reskins for buildings as items in the Supply Closet so that users have the freedom to place festive or regular versions of buildings.

Another thing I am particularly concerned about is providing reskins for buildings that seem to be inspired by or too similar to other items officially made by Klei.
I actually have a reskin for the bed that is alarmingly similar to the Puft Bed skin they recently sold on Kickstarter, it's the exact same idea with a different critter. I'm worried that sort of re-skin might be pointless (or even against the rules) to include in my mod if Klei intends to do this same critter for another bed skin in a supply drop.

bump

I would also like to know. I would love to add new supply closet items, which users can unlock in my mods as rewards for exploration or puzzles.

Including necklaces, themed building skin sets, or backpacks for my critters, all which would fit nicely in that menu.

bump

with game-time as new currency for the items, a new question appears: do you permit to mod that feature: eg change unlock time?

I really like the closet feature, but from modding perspective it's very unclear what we can and can't do. Could we get some clarification here? @JoeW @JarrettM

Archived