Last Minute Changes To Maxwells Servants

I think most of us would agree that prior to the rework, Maxwell's shadow servants were in a good place. One could choose the servants as they pleased: choppers, miners or shovelers. They followed the player everywhere and were indefinite for as long as the player chose them to be. Shadow duelists on the other hand were always lackluster but I believe they’re in a good place after the update and should be left alone. All this brings me to my point, shadow servants should be reverted to follow the player indefinitely, similarly to pre-rework Maxwell, and the option to choose which type of workers we want should return. Something like adding additional icons to the servant wheel to select from. A suggestion to balance out these changes would be to simply require more durability from the codex when spawning servants.  

Maxwell was always a gathering type of character and these suggestions could return Maxwell to his original state while maintaining the improvements brought on with the rework. Currently, when servants are summoned, the player is tethered to a small set location which discourages a proactive play style. Should the player move too far away from this circle the shadows despawn, which becomes bothersome when you have to continuously re-summon your shadow servants to finish chopping a patch of trees or when mining boulders.

I understand that servants have been made stronger in the sense that they now pick stuff up for you, but my issue with it is that it's only just a bit faster than picking stuff up yourself. Now don’t get me wrong, I like that servants pick stuff up, it’s great, but is it really worth sacrificing shadow servants being permanent and following the player everywhere for it? I’d much rather have them cost more and be permanent, at least until the player decides to get rid of them, rather than have to summon them frequently to complete tasks. What do you guys think?

And while we’re at it, would it be possible to get minions that till soil for you or is that too much to ask for? 

They're over 10x cheaper, you can effectively have twice as many, they work independently of you, they gained the ability to do more things, and they're actually fun to use. This is an enormous buff to Maxwell and reverting them is reverting the entire rework. 

The servants prior to the rework sucked. Not in a power-game sense, obviously having them permanently follow you for all eternity is strong, but it's boring. Maxwell is still pretty boring to me but atleast all aspects of his kit have some interaction as opposed to the one and done deal of pre-rework.

2 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

having them permanently follow you for all eternity is strong

What's so strong about it? The only thing I can think of where having infinite tools like that would be strong is the ruins, but the old servants were prone to getting run over by rooks. The new ones are over 10x cheaper and work in a huge radius (after the rooks died) so I can't think of any advantage the old ones had over the new ones. The only thing they did better was make people repeatedly accidentally grief twiggy trees and marble farms. 

30 minutes ago, De_Gatherer said:

I think most of us would agree that prior to the rework, Maxwell's shadow servants were in a good place. One could choose the servants as they pleased: choppers, miners or shovelers. They followed the player everywhere and were indefinite for as long as the player chose them to be. Shadow duelists on the other hand were always lackluster but I believe they’re in a good place after the update and should be left alone. All this brings me to my point, shadow servants should be reverted to follow the player indefinitely, similarly to pre-rework Maxwell, and the option to choose which type of workers we want should return. Something like adding additional icons to the servant wheel to select from. A suggestion to balance out these changes would be to simply require more durability from the codex when spawning servants.  

Maxwell was always a gathering type of character and these suggestions could return Maxwell to his original state while maintaining the improvements brought on with the rework. Currently, when servants are summoned, the player is tethered to a small set location which discourages a proactive play style. Should the player move too far away from this circle the shadows despawn, which becomes bothersome when you have to continuously re-summon your shadow servants to finish chopping a patch of trees or when mining boulders.

Idk I think alot of people would be upset with this change me included pre rework servants ended up getting in the way when you didn't need them and were far more expensive vs their current versions whom you can get to prioritize much better.

understand that servants have been made stronger in the sense that they now pick stuff up for you, but my issue with it is that it's only just a bit faster than picking stuff up yourself. Now don’t get me wrong, I like that servants pick stuff up

This I disagree with alot build a base with a lot of things needed to be harvested in set areas and try to compare the harvesting speed they harvest so much faster it's not even a competition.

but is it really worth sacrificing shadow servants being permanent and following the player everywhere for it?

Yes because the improvements alongside the cheap cost simply make them better hands down.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

What's so strong about it? The only thing I can think of where having infinite tools like that would be strong is the ruins, but the old servants were prone to getting run over by rooks. The new ones are over 10x cheaper and work in a huge radius (after the rooks died) so I can't think of any advantage the old ones had over the new ones. The only thing they did better was make people repeatedly accidentally grief twiggy trees and marble farms. 

Theoretically you'd spend much less nightmare fuel using the same three servants you spawned at the start of the game than even the most efficient use currently as long as they don't die. Maintenance of servants over time seem to be the issue people have with the current servants after all, so they must be looking at very long play times in order to see the servants paltry cost and time to use as an issue worth noting. Oh also permanent lowered sanity makes for easier fuel farming via insanity which you can't use as constantly now.

It's only strong from a nightmare fuel perspective, otherwise the servants are basically a direct upgrade given how cheap and easy they are to use now.

21 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

Theoretically you'd spend much less nightmare fuel using the same three servants you spawned at the start of the game than even the most efficient use currently as long as they don't die. Maintenance of servants over time seem to be the issue people have with the current servants after all, so they must be looking at very long play times in order to see the servants paltry cost and time to use as an issue worth noting. Oh also permanent lowered sanity makes for easier fuel farming via insanity which you can't use as constantly now.

It's only strong from a nightmare fuel perspective, otherwise the servants are basically a direct upgrade given how cheap and easy they are to use now.

You can make 40 servants for less than what the old 4 servants cost, and they're multipurpose so you need less. They have a huge work radius, the only situation that the old ones were cheaper is if instead of summoning them in dense clusters of trees (especially ones you made yourself) you're intentionally spawning them in really bad places to act like they're expensive. You even spawn with a full Codex AND 6 nightmare fuel so it's a very long time before you even need to consider getting more fuel. 

I think people don't like the new servants because they saw that on paper they could keep the shadows forever and be "free", except those free shadows were doing more harm than good. You don't need to have a bunch of griefing minions following you around when you can just plant a thick forest (or go to a natural one) and get several chests full of boards for one cast before punching them away. They can still do that, their best use, but they do it 10x cheaper and much faster.

44 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You can make 40 servants for less than what the old 4 servants cost, and they're multipurpose so you need less. They have a huge work radius, the only situation that the old ones were cheaper is if instead of summoning them in dense clusters of trees (especially ones you made yourself) you're intentionally spawning them in really bad places to act like they're expensive. You even spawn with a full Codex AND 6 nightmare fuel so it's a very long time before you even need to consider getting more fuel. 

I think people don't like the new servants because they saw that on paper they could keep the shadows forever and be "free", except those free shadows were doing more harm than good. You don't need to have a bunch of griefing minions following you around when you can just plant a thick forest (or go to a natural one) and get several chests full of boards for one cast before punching them away. They can still do that, their best use, but they do it 10x cheaper and much faster.

not to mention you'd need to kill the servants before fighting anyway, if you want to use duelists in the fight.

41 minutes ago, skile said:

not to mention you'd need to kill the servants before fighting anyway, if you want to use duelists in the fight.

Another good point. Even looking at a hypothetical best case for the old ones and a hypothetical worst case for the new ones the new powerful duelists being on the same max sanity resource would naturally negate their permanence.

When they were permanent many times I would see Maxwells with a bunch of minions following him for no reason until something with AoE like deerclops one shot them all and made him start getting killed by shadows because his sanity was permanently so low.

10 hours ago, De_Gatherer said:

I understand that servants have been made stronger in the sense that they now pick stuff up for you, but my issue with it is that it's only just a bit faster than picking stuff up yourself. Now don’t get me wrong, I like that servants pick stuff up, it’s great, but is it really worth sacrificing shadow servants being permanent and following the player everywhere for it? I’d much rather have them cost more and be permanent, at least until the player decides to get rid of them, rather than have to summon them frequently to complete tasks. What do you guys think?

And while we’re at it, would it be possible to get minions that till soil for you or is that too much to ask for? 

Highly disagree. The previous servants were a pain to have. They would mine/ chop everything on sight, even the things you don' want them to. It's always a risk to bring them to base if someone planted marble trees nearby, or someone dropped a stack of stone fruits in base. you would need to kill them and resummon them constantly as needed, and it would cost you 2 nightmares+ a tool each time. You would also have to kill+ resummon whenever you need to change the type of servant you needed depending on the type of work you want. Also, it's a lot faster to gather now with 6 workers instead of the previous 4 and you can spread them a bit now, unlike before.

The only change that I see would be good is if they can manage to make the servants not despawn if they are not on screen. 

The only disappointing thing about current servants is their radius - i wish they would operate on a longer distance as atm. the game basically forces you to join them as you can't really do your stuff and go away only watch or help them

43 minutes ago, grahm said:

The only disappointing thing about current servants is their radius - i wish they would operate on a longer distance as atm. the game basically forces you to join them as you can't really do your stuff and go away only watch or help them

you dont need to be in their radius, just not unloaded them and be in the radius when they are picking stuff since they will wait you to give the stuff they picked and, if they cant reach you, they despawn after few seconds

but if they are working you dont need to be next to them

4 hours ago, grahm said:

The despawn distance is pretty big. You might not be able to instantly wormhole to the other side of the map, but you can have them be a few screens away and they'll still work. If you place a big cluster of trees near the base they can work on it while you do whatever base stuff (organizing chests, making structures, cooking, turfing, etc) or you can just summon 6 so you fight a bunch of shadows while they work. 

Also, even if they kept the area loaded if you aren't nearby when they're done they'll be unable to give you their stuff so they just die and stop working. Then you need to go there and pick the stuff up anyways.

Archived