Beefalo Dishes Could Give Extra Obedience

Thanks for the two new beefalo dishes! I can especially see the cheaper dish as a more convenient way to feed beefalo if I'm specifically not riding to tame. However, the big reason why I would opt out of using these exclusively for active taming is because of the obedience. Beefalo lose 50% per day if not starving, so feeding a beefalo 2-3 of these new dishes will not provide enough obedience to prevent saddles from getting shaken. This is especially notable in the treats which can max out hunger with just two but only provide 10% obedience each. So even if I used these dishes I would have to supplement obedience with grass/twigs which would likely overfeed them.

If these dishes were meant for beefalo then it makes sense to me that they would provide some bonus obedience. Imagining these dishes as potential all-in-one solutions for taming is very appealing, and I would certainly use them if they were more feasible for maintaining obedience.

I thought those dishes were more specifically for 'gaining domestication points when player is sitting in base and doing something else' situation. Farming crops exclusively for feeding beef felt like a vicious cycle for me (you feed because you stay in base but you stay in base because you have to feed). Collecting some twigs and turning them into much more effective form of keeping hunger above 0 is great alternative for what we had so far.

If you fear that saddle will be shaken off, you have saddlehorn, which is exactly meant for that situation.

14 minutes ago, Losparkeros said:

I thought those dishes were more specifically for 'gaining domestication points when player is sitting in base and doing something else' situation. Farming crops exclusively for feeding beef felt like a vicious cycle for me (you feed because you stay in base but you stay in base because you have to feed). Collecting some twigs and turning them into much more effective form of keeping hunger above 0 is great alternative for what we had so far.

If you fear that saddle will be shaken off, you have saddlehorn, which is exactly meant for that situation.

That's my point. We don't use dishes for active taming because they're impractical. But if I could feed my beefalo once per day and not worry about a saddle shake for an entire day would absolutely give me incentive to use them.

36 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

That's my point. We don't use dishes for active taming because they're impractical. But if I could feed my beefalo once per day and not worry about a saddle shake for an entire day would absolutely give me incentive to use them.

I think that lack of easy obedience stat management is intentional. Let's look at ornery beefalo - 16 more damage with no speed downside for inconvenience of additional feeding (which can kill you if you can't use your meet shield when you need it the most).

Also, taming beefalo is an investment and it is meant to be liability (especially as long as it's not fully domesticated). Dishes fill void that was present for passive taming (unless you were drowning in vegetarian food) making it a little more viable option than it was before, compared to constant riding.

Of course I don't want to put words in developers mouths, but if obedience is intended to be as annoying as it is, they would have to either keep dishes only for hunger issues, or make them much more complicated (which defeats the purpose since they are meant to be used before your base is stuffed with resources).

tl;dr: Unless devs want to make beef taming suuuuper easy, I doubt they will give us "potential all-in-one solutions for taming" uncomplicated dish.

5 hours ago, Losparkeros said:

I think that lack of easy obedience stat management is intentional. Let's look at ornery beefalo - 16 more damage with no speed downside for inconvenience of additional feeding (which can kill you if you can't use your meet shield when you need it the most).

Also, taming beefalo is an investment and it is meant to be liability (especially as long as it's not fully domesticated). Dishes fill void that was present for passive taming (unless you were drowning in vegetarian food) making it a little more viable option than it was before, compared to constant riding.

Of course I don't want to put words in developers mouths, but if obedience is intended to be as annoying as it is, they would have to either keep dishes only for hunger issues, or make them much more complicated (which defeats the purpose since they are meant to be used before your base is stuffed with resources).

tl;dr: Unless devs want to make beef taming suuuuper easy, I doubt they will give us "potential all-in-one solutions for taming" uncomplicated dish.

Passive taming is much less common than active riding/feeding, so it makes less sense to me that the new dishes were designed solely for that niche. But at the end of the day I won't spend too much effort guessing at developer intent regarding obedience. I'm just stating what improvements would make me more likely to utilize the new content.

10 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

Passive taming is much less common than active riding/feeding, so it makes less sense to me that the new dishes were designed solely for that niche.

Its less common because it requires 4 dragonpies or the equivalent of 300 hunger in veg food every day for ~20 days.

The addition of high hunger cheap dishes specifically for beefalo has completely changed that and made passive taming much more feasible even early on. They have made food taming no longer a late game thing. 

Going from 300 hunger worth of veg food or 32 twigs to just 12 twigs for 3 steamed twigs per day is huge. 

I personally dont see something wrong with the riding style of taming that would require something new to deal with obedience.

obedience has always been much easier to raise and keep raised than a beef’s hunger.

7 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

Passive taming is much less common than active riding/feeding, so it makes less sense to me that the new dishes were designed solely for that niche.

For me it makes perfect sense. Something is underutilized/feels clunky? Buff it. Or implement new mechanics that will make it more viable option. Nobody was using one-man band until Reap What You Sow update. Or even beefalos before introducing bells. I understand that some people will never use introduced dishes for taming. Some players don't even bother to farm crops.

17 hours ago, marlamade said:

Farming is rarely worth it, and I say this as a wurt main. I have several worlds in which I killed every boss and never planted a single seed.

Does it means there was no point to improve obsolete farming mechanics?

If active taming works well, I'm not sure if additional buff is needed. And since we have tools against shaking off saddle, I don't really understand why would we implement another tools to replace current ones and make them redundant in the process of doing so.

Archived