Suggestions on the beta

Overall a nice set of changes

Typing them as I see them

- Turf-hat-itator hat can auto-dig entire farming plots (apparently devs stated it is intended)

- Tall bird recipe might be a tad too strong (150 hunger, 60 health). 75 hunger, 60 health would still be top-tier great.

- Typo found here ("other means" is the correct version)

image.thumb.png.73949295e97fdee16b0256862d32bf77.png

- I had an issue where I couldn't hover a blueprint over a cartographer, but I am not sure how to reproduce it. I spawned it from console and it didn't seem to want to convert.

- Scarecrow is low quality (confirmed to be known)

- Found recipe cards should show the minimum viable crock pot ingredients to actually teach you the recipe

- The new easymode parameters in world gen should have a few options that go in the opposite direction for each of them in a harder direction

image.thumb.png.e56a7a8ffa8fa4b3663bfa369fc43cb0.png

For instance, the full spectrum could be

Nonlethal - Default - More - Insane

(the "Take less damage" config might have to be reworded as "Damage taken" though and flipped)

- A new "Insanity" gamemode preset could add the above presets at max values all with one click

image.thumb.png.a5234d1269a283630a62d0b8e3a24cf0.png

- Additionally, while we are at the topic of cool changes, I would love for Willow to have her infinite lighter back

A fun beta, good job team

2 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

"another means" is grammatically correct. "other means" would fit, also. They are analogous in this context.

I have never actually heard it in the form "find another means"

It would be correct if it was "find another mean" (singular, instead of plural) I think

Declaring language as "correct" and "wrong" is silly. No language follows conventions so strict that things like this become significant. The important part is the message and I could not see any native English speaker confusing the meanings. (I presume the majority of staff at Klei is native English).

2 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Declaring language as "correct" and "wrong" is silly

Okay, then to rephrase, I will say the form "find another means" is less commonly used instead of incorrect.

I have never heard that form. Am I the only one?

I'd like to see an alternative for the cooblestone turf, the red/blue/gray mosaic one, could be an excellent anternative for new roads with a speedboost. I'd like to see these new turfs not only for their aesthetics at the base, but with some useful application ;)

28 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Okay, then to rephrase, I will say the form "find another means" is less commonly used instead of incorrect.

I have never heard that form. Am I the only one?

No, you're not. Sounds weird to me too.

33 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Declaring language as "correct" and "wrong" is silly. No language follows conventions so strict that things like this become significant. The important part is the message and I could not see any native English speaker confusing the meanings. (I presume the majority of staff at Klei is native English).

While I am a strong proponent of language flexibility and phrase and word experimentation, and I am aware that languages evolve based on how people actually speak, I think declaring phrases and other language constructs correct or incorrect based on some official set of rules is not silly, but desirable. If you don't belittle the people making a mistake, or insist on them changing it even if it was on purpose, it's ok to point out inconsistencies.

This thread turned into a grammar thread, but it's cool I am learning stuff.

I figured out why it sounds weird

find another = find an other thing (singular)

find some other (singular)

find some others (plural)

"an + other" implies a single thing

so, when you combine it with multiple things

"find an other things"

"find another things"

^singular other vs ^plural things

it sounds weird to my brain bc of that I feel

the etymology of the word "another" is "an other" (One more; an additional)

image.png.8905500871b391e59ae2b551f0faae12.png

All of them are ONE thing (singular)

Even if it is used in some other corners of the world, it mixes a singular (another) and refers to a plural (means) which has some wonky logic to me

Archived