2-dupe Colonization rocket design

So here's my contribution to rocket tetris. This can be either a 2-dupe colonization rocket or for drilling.

I hope you find this useful.

Let me start with my requirements which were (in that order of priority):

• It supports atmo suits BUT if the rocket is in the home port these must not be useable to avoid dupes trapped because their suit wore out.
  • The rocket must auto-disable when in home port, but nowhere else (important for colonization rockets)
  • Should provide all morale bonus room types; if I have to choose, it's Great Hall, then Washroom and Bedroom with the least priority
  • Should provide as much rad protection as possible

And with that, here it is (the rocket is in the home port):

image.thumb.png.776d5a0f56a044e23f4e3b03a71ae678.png

Before I go into all the overlays a couple of notes:

• The logic 'is at home port' is implemented using a starmap location sensor
  • This build can support gas tanks as part of the rocket or oxylite within the rocket
  • I am not proud of the gas element sensor placement on the bottom, it should be ideally closer to the pump
  • You cannot move the mechanized airlock closer to the rocket exit, it will block it (I tried), otherwise this build could have supported three dupes.
  • On first build you may want to make the rocket believe it's not in its home port to fully charge the atmo docks (ie close the door)
  • I am not using mechanical filters, there's some potential to get two more tiles freed up for those who do. This comes at the price of not being able to just get rid of everyhing which isn't oxygen - especially be wary about dupes in soiled suits or running out of clean water. I am a messy player it happens more than I like it.
  • If you want to have a battery but cannot afford one outside of your rocket (that's eg interesting for drill rockets), you can move those two fridges to the bottom. More specifically the storage bins will be fridges instead and you can put a (smart) battery at their place instead. This will not break the Great Hall.
  • If your rocket engine does not provide power (notably radbolt engine) OR you use it for drilling then this build requires solar panel modules. The rationale for the drilling is that I believe a rocket which isn't moving doesn't get power from its engine.
  • One of the refrigerators is filled with rad pills, the other one is for the actual food (berry sludge in my case)

Automation overlay

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ef57aba0298b7d26d4b440837f02c63e.png

• Startmap location sensor on the left, checkbox set for rocket home planet(s).
  • The gas (element) sensors are all set to detect Oxygen

Gas piping overlay

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fde0359b496f713f84baee469557e787.png

• There's probably an easier way to do it. My first version (this was built in survival) was even worse and made me chuckle hard.
  • It has a gas sorting loop on the top to let oxygen get through into the rocket first, then the atmo suit docks and finally - if you have it - to the gas tank storage.
  • If you don't use a gas tank storage (but oxylite) there has to be some kind of 'empty pipe' sensor to activate the pump so that the atmo suit docks are provided with oxygen
  • For the gas to exit at port (i.e. rocket platform) it has to be connected to a vent on the outside. This is particularly important on your colonizing planet.

Liquid piping overlay (nothing exiting here)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5d048a2d307a744c813ecda0dc85d022.png

• There should be water in these pipes rocket, I haven't done that yet
  • I have seen rocket builds which pipe through the liquids to provide means for external cooling

Power overlay

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1190bcb9ab5230bd9f78e04eaf84e077.png

• If you can afford the morale you may want to not power the party line phone, it creates quite some heat (that and the power draw).
  • Powering the door is optional, too

Sample radbolt engine based colonization and drill rockets from the outside

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Jann5s said:

I doubt that the mini gas pump will be able ro keep those atmosuits filled.

Yeah you are probably right on that one. I guess it's better to dump the door (and the +1 morale for the Barracks) and replace it with a 'grown up' pump.

You guys still use atmo suit dock and atmo suit check point? What i do is put 4~8 fully charged lead suit in the rocket, and let dupe equip manually when they about to land, and those much lead suit is enough time for them to build an lead suit set up for further mining, so i can send 4 dupes per rocket in one go.

5 hours ago, Tranoze said:

You guys still use atmo suit dock and atmo suit check point? What i do is put 4~8 fully charged lead suit in the rocket, and let dupe equip manually when they about to land, and those much lead suit is enough time for them to build an lead suit set up for further mining, so i can send 4 dupes per rocket in one go.

Interesting take - we seem to have very different play styles (which is a good thing!). I have kind of stopped using lead suits because even on hard settings I have never experienced radiation to be much of a problem. That and these suits want glass instead of fibre to repair but that's more of a "haven't thought about this supply chain yet" problem. Although this is only a detail, what you propose - if I get you correctly - works just as well with atmo suits.

My solutions usually deal with my attention deficit to details when it comes to a running base, but I can imagine your setup solves that problem equally well (or even better).

Sounds like you have an interesting solution - Care to share a screenshot?

26 minutes ago, sirloxley said:

I have kind of stopped using lead suits because even on hard settings I have never experienced radiation to be much of a problem.

On further asteroid where space radiation reach 250~300, as one bath room only remove 100 radiation, you either have to give them 3 bathroom use time per day or lead suit, and i choose lead suit as it is much easier to repair than atmo suit (since i bring glass to build solar pannel anyway).

Also in my farm it usually 600~900 radiation, which could kill dupe easily if they dont have lead suit so i just skip atmo suit.

If you havent tried mutant farm yet, it is really fun and rewarding.

Anyway this is screenshot, rocket building is much easier if you dont have to worry about gas filtering.
image.thumb.png.2b9107a0a29d3584b7d068eabed69c05.png
And this is what i build outside for lead suit usage
image.png.904c001d132f3e69809b3ef8f8c68405.png

45 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

On further asteroid where space radiation reach 250~300, as one bath room only remove 100 radiation, you either have to give them 3 bathroom use time per day or lead suit, and i choose lead suit as it is much easier to repair than atmo suit (since i bring glass to build solar pannel anyway).

That 250-300 rads is per cycle. I put something (most of the time plastic tiles) above their working areas and those rads only matter for a couple of seconds. Farming is a different beast, agreed.

35 minutes ago, sirloxley said:

I put something (most of the time plastic tiles) above their working areas

Im kinda a planet wiper (which is why i need 4 dupe per exploration), i dig everything so my working area is every where. Also one good thing about radiation is they kill germs super fast so when i dig down slime, i leave the space radiation at max. The benefit of lead suit i guess.

5 hours ago, Tranoze said:

I often make Atmo Docks (in the early game mask dock) without a Checkpoint, but I've never used Lead Suits. There are some things to not like about Lead Suits: their dock is more than twice as fat, they only hold 40 kg of oxygen compared with 75 kg for an Atmo Suit (and the dock only holds 80 kg compared with 200 kg for Atmo), they give +10 strength instead of the far more useful +10 excavation and penalize athletics by an extra 2. And if radiation is a problem, which can really only happen on max rad difficulty, popping a rad pill pretty much makes the problem go away, and rad pills aren't nerfed by max rad difficulty. And I usually have lots of reed fiber and use lots of carpet tiles in my Spacefarers, if I forget to bring reed fiber I just replace a carpet tile with a normal tile.

I often like have 4 Atmosuit Docks in a Spacefarer and use them as oxygen stores if I don't anticipate needing to set up a proper refilling setup or as emergency oxygen stores if there is a refilling setup: if the interior of a Spacefarer runs out of oxygen, deconstructing a full Atmosuit dock will refill it with oxygen about 3 kg/tile.

4 minutes ago, blakemw said:

And if radiation is a problem, which can really only happen on max rad difficulty, popping a rad pill pretty much makes the problem go away,

My colony is very farm based, and half of my dupe are working on farm just to feed 52B, so since half of them are exposed to high radiation, might as well make them all have lead suit since i dont want multiple layers of suit check points. Also i have to farm lots of mutant seeds for science training so ...

On 9/29/2022 at 10:38 PM, sirloxley said:
  • If you want to have a battery but cannot afford one outside of your rocket (that's eg interesting for drill rockets), you can move those two fridges to the bottom. More specifically the storage bins will be fridges instead and you can put a (smart) battery at their place instead. This will not break the Great Hall.
  • If your rocket engine does not provide power (notably radbolt engine) OR you use it for drilling then this build requires solar panel modules. The rationale for the drilling is that I believe a rocket which isn't moving doesn't get power from its engine.

If I may, what i would do for drilling rocket is remove hand sanitizer (tried it without it for very long time and never got poisoned, seems radiation disinfects very efficiently). Build one more tile (since without sanitizer you'll loose Bathroom anyway) to create 2x2 space and place generator there (together with your suggested batteries) - no need for external battery or solar panels, with oxylite you have all space at your disposal (minus engine and fuel).

Or, since drilling dupe is usually bored as hell, don't build battery at all and let dupe constantly run on generator to improve athletics and machinery.

On 9/29/2022 at 10:38 PM, sirloxley said:
  • I am not using mechanical filters, there's some potential to get two more tiles freed up for those who do. This comes at the price of not being able to just get rid of everyhing which isn't oxygen - especially be wary about dupes in soiled suits or running out of clean water. I am a messy player it happens more than I like it.

I didn't ever get the taste of using oxylite as source of oxygen (I like to automate rockets as much as possible and my rockets need only manual delivery of food and rad pills - power while grounded, water, oxygen and CO2 removal is automated). When you go with version with outside gas tank, you need only one gas pipe from tank output trough normal vent to docks and second one from small pump trough gas filter (first sensor detecting oxygen, then NOT gate and then overpressure vent right behind sensor) to output port (cabin white port) to get every gas other than O2 out of rocket.

What I really started to like is to connect outside port (cabin green port) with Gas Intake Fitting, that way I can refill oxygen on all planetoids (but main base) without Gas Rocket Port Loader and use multiple pipes (mentioned pipe with few Loaders) to very quickly refill oxygen on main base.

Hopefully, my post isn't a mess, I find hard to name each port to differentiate them properly :-)

I must say I really like your design, my playstyle prefers luxury and automation :-) 

Archived