Bigger zoom out when sailing

It would be nice that when sailing, the camera could zoom out more so we can see more of the ocean.

Using a camera mods to zoom out a bit when sailing is actually very nice since you sometimes go so fast, you can't react fast enough to deal with incoming sea stacks.

Also, a larger light radius on the light upgrade to sails would be nice for visibilty reasons. I end up using a firepit instead due to the bigger light radius.

I agree with the deck illuminator, a light above you should light a larger area around you than a light on the ground; not only does it just make sense, but it's a very fair tradeoff for being a fire you can't cook with. Heck, deck illuminators should be bright enough for people to be considering building them on land rather than considering building firepits on boats!

I don't agree with increasing the zoom to give you earlier warning against sea stacks and other obstacles though. Just my opinion, but to me it's part of the experience, the need for caution when exploring uncharted waters. It's one thing to be zipping along at high speed on familiar routs, but you'd be crazy, and likely to receive a very fair boat kicking as a result, for doing that where you don't know what's lurking just out of view. We already have boat bumpers to protect from accidents at sea and boat patches (among others) to remedy accidents at sea, I feel like yet another safety net for that problem is overkill.

17 hours ago, ShadowbirdRH said:

I don't agree with increasing the zoom to give you earlier warning against sea stacks and other obstacles though. Just my opinion, but to me it's part of the experience, the need for caution when exploring uncharted waters.

Ever since the Waterlogged update that made boats better, what I end up doing is I just row in uncharted territory rather than sail.

The bumper kits are nice, but even with them, I still row in uncharted territory since it's just easier and safer for me. 

The only time I use sails is if I've already explored the area.

The main reason I suggested the zoom was because I've tried using the strident trident when sailing but the speed of the boat is too fast for me (at one malba sail) to effectively clear the path for my boat.

20 hours ago, ShadowbirdRH said:

don't agree with increasing the zoom to give you earlier warning against sea stacks and other obstacles though

already achieve by sailing with the map open 90% of the time. Not a good game design if you ask me and, without the map, it feels claustrophobic and makes you go slower

I figured that much at least was already implied. Where these kinds of things matter is, as already mentioned, uncharted areas, where having the map open 90% of the time will only help you die.

As for needing a larger field of view to use the Strident Trident more effectively against obstacles, I'm less sure of how effective that would be, all the more so if you happen upon a densely packed group of obstacles. I've not actually tried blowing down sea stacks with one, let alone while in motion. I've only ever used mine to collect bull kelp. I generally rather keep most sea stacks around, in case I want to plant sea weeds on them, but if when I do want to destroy them, I find it faster, easier, and more satisfying to just smash on through and slap down some tree jam to repair the boat.

1 hour ago, ShadowbirdRH said:

I generally rather keep most sea stacks around, in case I want to plant sea weeds on them

Ironically, I have a project where I want to clean the ocean of every seastack there is and just use Crab King for my Sea Weeds since that's Sea Stacks are renewable there (and there are more than enough for my purposes).

I've had creative worlds where qll the sea stacks are gone and the difference in sailing is night and day.

Archived