More clear-cut changes and respawning

On 8/3/2022 at 11:54 PM, Mike23Ua said:

This is a double-edged sword by making things renewable, the player is also less likely to take caution in making sure it doesn’t end up going extinct-

for example.. in the old days a player would’ve built ice flingo machines around reeds or takin caution in NOT letting Bearger or Deerclops destroy all the Catcoon Dens.

But NOW those things renew.. so you can literally just let whatever happens to them happen to them and wait for them to renew. 
Deerclops crashed it? Meteor Field smashed it? Wildfire Blazed it? Beefalo Grazed it? Moon Gravity uprooted it? Bearger done looted it? Is it starting to look diseased and colors losing green? Has a Tornado or Hurricane came through and blown it entirely off screen?

It doesn’t matter because wait a few days and they’ll reappear.

If Klei is going to renew the PASSIVE stuff like Reeds & Catcoon dens- then they should also renew Swamp Tentacles and Angry Bee Hive Biomes.

In fact: I PRAY the next QoL update will make it so that when a swamp is cleared of tentacles, new ones can randomly spawn anywhere within the biome over time.

This again is a double edged sword because- Endless Tentacle Spikes/Spots.

But at least the world wouldn’t become VOID OF DANGER like it tends to do in longer term worlds..

(and people wonder why I delete my worlds and start new ones on around day 300..)

That's a good thing, you needing to take precaution in a survival game, as if you're also playing a world management simulator is just plain stupid. If things get destroyed, which they will, you should be able to recover. There is no double-edged sword beyond breaking balance by respawning things too immediately, you're just making extinction of resources to be a good thing when it never has been, it's always been unfair to expect the player to take such precautions. It shouldn't be the player's job to do so in such a game. Otherwise it just means that fun, destructive mechanics that are chaotic in nature become a taboo by those more experienced so as to make sure they can keep surviving indefinitely, no more fun, everything has to be clean or we lose resources forever, and if we do, rollback or something.

If things respawn in a different location but the same biome I think is the most fair solution, seems some resources just respawn where they got destroyed if they can last I checked, which is pretty stupid.

Tentacles too, I agree, but they should be in random available spots on the biome (if still covered in marsh turf for example). With ruins resets, we have both the resources and the dangers respawning, which is not only fair, but most entertaining. Everyone more or less gets to experience ruins content as you would the first time someone goes there after resetting them, it's not a time-gated experience, strictly speaking.

I don’t have much of an opinion since I don’t play in these kinds of world. But I would like to be a fly on the wall in a world where everything can go extinct.

On 8/4/2022 at 1:42 AM, Bumber64 said:

What if you could do something to cause pig king to summon elite pigs?

This is the best idea yet for renewable pig skin. The PK is too passive anyway. Trying to give him something very offensive (to him) could spawn guards.

1 minute ago, abrocator said:

I don’t have much of an opinion since I don’t play in these kinds of world. But I would like to be a fly on the wall in a world where everything can go extinct.

This is the best idea yet for renewable pig skin. The PK is too passive anyway. Trying to give him something very offensive (to him) could spawn guards.

We have renewable pig skin from werepigs during the Lunar Staff event. 

4 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

That's a good thing, you needing to take precaution in a survival game, as if you're also playing a world management simulator is just plain stupid. If things get destroyed, which they will, you should be able to recover. There is no double-edged sword beyond breaking balance by respawning things too immediately, you're just making extinction of resources to be a good thing when it never has been, it's always been unfair to expect the player to take such precautions. It shouldn't be the player's job to do so in such a game. Otherwise it just means that fun, destructive mechanics that are chaotic in nature become a taboo by those more experienced so as to make sure they can keep surviving indefinitely, no more fun, everything has to be clean or we lose resources forever, and if we do, rollback or something.

If things respawn in a different location but the same biome I think is the most fair solution, seems some resources just respawn where they got destroyed if they can last I checked, which is pretty stupid.

Tentacles too, I agree, but they should be in random available spots on the biome (if still covered in marsh turf for example). With ruins resets, we have both the resources and the dangers respawning, which is not only fair, but most entertaining. Everyone more or less gets to experience ruins content as you would the first time someone goes there after resetting them, it's not a time-gated experience, strictly speaking.

I kind of think you missed my point, Disease was a “World Ending” Mechanic- there was no proper way to cure it if you had been careless enough to let it take over your world. Lots of people Hated Disease for this very reason & it eventually ended up removed from the game completely.

In a online multiplayer Sandbox Survival game (like Ark, Atlas or Conan Exiles) Resources DO RESPAWN however.. all of those games I just mentioned also have something else in common- incredibly hostile enemy mobs & world weather hazards that come through destroying everything in its wake (to Respawn later)

What I am trying to point out is that now that Resources are becoming Respawn-Able: then there is no excuse in the world NOT to add new challenging mechanics that lets All Hell Break Loose.

For example- Now that Catcoon Dens Renew over time: A Tornado, Hurricane, Flood, etc could go through the area destroying those things and eventually new ones will Respawn in the Biome.

Or.. Another less Harsh example- Beefalo can actually “Eat” Grazing over Grass or even Reeds as if they were human players harvesting those resources because eventually- New resources will regrow again.

Yes- in world settings you can toggle resources so they do NOT regrow by selecting “None” but your missing my point…

None Used to be the ONLY OPTION for some of these things.. but now that they CAN be Renewed- new dangers in the form of weather hazards or mob behaviors can be added into the game.

@Mike23Ua thanks for clarifying, your point was rather confusing. I would love more dangers too, but things have to respawn for this to exist. Respawn first, then add dangers to destroy everything even. I think it will dip into how mega-base and resource farms you can really expand upon and build to keep sustainable, but I definitely think that's a worthy sacrifice for the dangers that could wreck things, if they are easy enough to repair sooner or later without too much effort that is.

If the fun of chaos comes at a too high cost, you'll just not want to play or bother or just try to seclude yourself so stuff doesn't get destroyed so much again. Destruction can be a teaching mechanism if repairs are almost equally as easy to do. If I have to for example spend hundreds of rocks and logs to repair stuff that's burnt, that's no fun. But if it's a couple dozen to repair a full base or so, I do not mind an occasional destruction.

Archived