Taking it slow

I used to rush building a base, killing bosses, etc. but that just meant I ran out of things to do after a while and just waited until the next boss was available.

In my latest solo game I'm in my second autumn and have just a modest base, only killed klaus and haven't explored the ocean yet (did do some ruins to get star caller).    I'm enjoying the languid pace and it gives me so much to look forward to and I have more time to decide where my mega base will be.     

That's my playstyle. Always stuff to do, planning long term but doing random things i didn't plan in the mean time, killing bosses when I feel like it instead of getting every possible thing as soon as possible.

Good luck with your world, playing slow is fun.

Honestly I love to play by living entirely off the land, yes I can build a base- yes I can put stuff in my base, yes I can grow trees or grass at my base but here’s the catch- I can not Dig Up & relocate any resource from its biome, if a Meteorite hits it or if it gets destroyed in some other natural way then it becomes free game, but until then.. I can not say just go gather all the berry bushes and plant them in my base, I instead need to go to where they spawn to gather food.

And if people watch “YouTube or Twitch streams” of other people playing this game- they only do and follow what they know, they don’t for example: die trying to steal Tallbird eggs because they know how to get eggs much easier.

And that’s something that people just don’t take into account- people have varying playstyles, & I enjoy living off my randomly generated world & its resources- the fun in that is greatly lessened when you bring the resources to your base.

Its a very very slow playstyle- but it’s a playstyle to where if you forget to get X before Y thing happens: You can’t rely on Thermal Stones and Beefalo Hats & instead you just gotta run around winging it because you forgot to get pigskin for umbrellas, or you forgot winter was starting- 

Then the best part: once you know where everything spawns and have learned your map- delete your world and start over on Day 1 in a new randomly generated wilderness.

Its not everyone’s cup of tea..

But really I only bought DS,Shipwrecked, Hamlet & DST to explore wacky randomly generated worlds with weird biomes, mobs to fight, and huge cast of diverse characters to play as.

I did not buy DS or DST to build mega bases and sit around farming or gathering resources to fight some massive high health raid boss.

Sitting up small encampments here or there while running about all over the map.

This is one of my favorite things about the WintersFeast event- you are encouraged to gather resources from all over the game world to build a full buffet of all the food dishes.

Year of the Catcoon also had you quest around the world to find missing Kitcoons.

I wish that certain plants or crops could only be grown in specific biomes, climates and weather seasons..

I want reasons to need to be in X location, and not just sitting in my base singing carols while everything I could possibly ever need is a few inches beside me in the form of farms, berry bushes, etc..

and by playing the game at a slower pace and leaving resources in their naturally spawning areas, it provides a little bit of that

Good luck, have fun- and remember, once you become to familiar with your current world you can always delete it and get a brand new randomly generated world full of things that hate you and want you to die.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

thread

So like, scienceless? Gee, running around under a tree w/a whirly fan all summer sure sounds fun. Or building/repairing a grass raft every 20 minutes to splash water on yourself.

I spend so much time farming crops because It is so satisfying as Wormwood. Only boss I actually kill quickly is Bee Queen so I can get bundling wrap then I farm her for Bees Wax to make my crops not rot.

52 minutes ago, oregu said:

So like, scienceless? Gee, running around under a tree w/a whirly fan all summer sure sounds fun. Or building/repairing a grass raft every 20 minutes to splash water on yourself.

No.. I said you can build a base, and put stuff in your base, but what you can NOT do is relocate any resource that is firmly planted into the ground from its spawning location back to your base-

This means- Grass Tufts, Berry Bushes, Banana Bushes, Saplings, etc can not be brought to your base- UNLESS they are removed from the ground by nature itself (such as if a meteor hits it)

Basically: the TL:DR it’s playing the game without being able to use a Shovel or Pitchfork.

You can build anything you want, science machines, shadow manipulator- Houses made of Marble walls- but you Can NOT relocate naturally spawning resources or mobs back to your base.

This is how I’ve always played DS/Shipwrecked/Hamlet/DST- it forces you to go to the biomes or locations to get the supply’s you need for extended survival.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

No.. I said you can build a base, and put stuff in your base, but what you can NOT do is relocate any resource that is firmly planted into the ground from its spawning location back to your base-

This means- Grass Tufts, Berry Bushes, Banana Bushes, Saplings, etc can not be brought to your base- UNLESS they are removed from the ground by nature itself (such as if a meteor hits it)

Basically: the TL:DR it’s playing the game without being able to use a Shovel or Pitchfork.

You can build anything you want, science machines, shadow manipulator- Houses made of Marble walls- but you Can NOT relocate naturally spawning resources or mobs back to your base.

This is how I’ve always played DS/Shipwrecked/Hamlet/DST- it forces you to go to the biomes or locations to get the supply’s you need for extended survival.

so u dont even replant pinecones

I can't do optimization anymore, it makes playing the game unbearable for me. I enjoy taking my time, even if that makes things much more hectic. Although I would be lying if I said I didn't rush a couple ruins gear or two. :afro:

13 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Not sure how having a calm and slow gameplay is related to a challenge most people don't like.

I was speaking to the people who rush to do boss kills, optimize bases and/or decorate to very high levels.    

to put it in a better context, it's about spreading out new experiences over time so that by day 250-500 or so you're not limited to treadmill reruns

Archived