My wishes around DLC2

Let me just start this is not a thread about DLC2 content ideas - there were plenty of those already, I'm sure Klei has tones of cool stuff to consider and as much I love sharing new ideas - this is not a thread for this. I wanted to talk about overall DLC strategy, not content specifics.

Looking back at "Spaced Out!" DLC, as much as I love it, I don't feel it is really finished... Radiation feels like several cool ideas that were randomly added to the DLC, without bigger testing as long as it overall worked. Radiation sources have two sollutions: either plants/critters available at cycle 0, or massive reactor that will overheat steel equipment and require thermium to be reliable, and nothing in between... Plant mutation system took a lot of time and effort to implement, but final balance makes it absolutely useless in the game. Slug critter idea was great, but again - balance and/or lack of morphs discourage player from using it. Radbolt network is fun, but it lacks reasons (rec buildings?) to incorporate it into main base, and it always stays in some safe and boring distance from it

I understood and supported decision to release it in December in current state, having faith that final adjustments and missing pieces of the puzzle will come in next Content Pack. Fast Friends theme was perfect opportunity to address at least some of the DLC issues, but none of this happened, sadly... I understand that Content Packs must remember about vanilla players who don't have DLC, but it wouldn't hurt to add some DLC-specific things to show us that the DLC is not forgotten. Without this, I started to fear that we won't see anything that SO! is in dire need of... And that makes me wonder - will future DLCs be unfinished and forgotten as well?

Ofc it doesn't mean SO! is bad! I feel it is currently the only "correct" way to play ONI and there is plenty cool additions that come with it - stress is now more important to manage and shows more often as you colonize new planets or travel in space. Radiation sickness is currently the only disease that you are willing to risk being exposed to for some other gains. Research tree cannot be rushed and require more effort to be completed. And tere is long-asked Demolish feature, it's so good! TLDR - the game is more fun with the DLC

So, here is what I believe the DLC2 should do (without any content specifics):

1. Wait with Early Access start until DLC1 is polished and feels complete (one, maybe two more Content Packs)
  2. Focus on adding/expanding only one game system
  3. Do not add a few things from 2nd game system to leave them uncompleted
  4. Don't rush things
  5. For new threats, make sure there is a reason to risk them
  6. Add evergreen, ever-desired features (eg true airlock doors)
  7. Early Access and community feedback worked well so far, keep this approach on

And how do you thing? Is there something else that DLC1 does well and should be continued in the future? Or is there a lesson from some failure that I missed?

On 7/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, pether said:
  • Focus on adding/expanding only one game system

This is the big one for me.  Spaced Out added two new systems: space exploration/multi-asteroid colonies, and radiation/nuclear power.  The former was more than enough to carry the expansion while the latter feels half baked.  The radiation system should have been reserved for a second DLC, where it could have been fully fleshed out.  As is, it's unlikely the developers will improve it once they've moved onto to ONI's second expansion.

42 minutes ago, goboking said:

This is the big one for me.  Spaced Out added two new systems: space exploration/multi-asteroid colonies, and radiation/nuclear power.  The former was more than enough to carry the expansion while the latter feels half baked.  The radiation system should have been reserved for a second DLC, where it could have been fully fleshed out.  As is, it's unlikely the developers will improve it once they've moved onto to ONI's second expansion.

Fully agree! I still have some hope for Content Packs that would somehow improve radiation...

On 7/26/2022 at 10:00 PM, pether said:

Fully agree! I still have some hope for Content Packs that would somehow improve radiation...

They did a good job improving unfinished systems in the past (with some exceptions) so `im optimistic about them updating it "along the way". Hopefully whatever the new dlc has in store it will find a way to incorporate this system as well and warrant some improvements.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Hopefully whatever the new dlc has in store it will find a way to incorporate this system as well and warrant some improvements.

Addressing a mechanic introduced in one expansion with a subsequent expansion is going to be tricky. 

1. It would be real cool to intorudce gas-mix and liquid-mix, which will force users to be more carefull with gases. For an example, oxygen, clorine, natural gas make a mix, which may be unbreathable even oxygen is present. Hydrogen and and carbone dioxide always going top and bottom and can't make mix. Water, salt water, polluted water make mix, which can't be use as any resource. 

In that case liquid and gas filters may separate mix into single resource, while pipe sensors just detect gas or liquid is present in mix. Think it could be real cool.

Same can happen with naphta, crude oil and petroleum. Not sure about viscohel, think it should be "unmixable" because of it light density.

About new features - introduce fireplace, which make top cell more hot. It may use petroleum, ethanol, liquid oxygen or liquid hydrogen. Output temperature depends from input liquid.

And of course make optional liquid output ports for gas, petroleum generators and oil well.

2. Nice feature is start-up phase for generators, something like first 3 sec after generator receive green signal, petroleum and gas generator iddle, while steam turbine should speed up it shaft during at least a minute, and only then become 100% efficient.

3. Additionally about generators, I don't know how it work, i'm not a scientist, but think coal generator and wood burn generator should consume oxygen. In that case it is make sense to make them more powerful.

4. Add control to big and small transformer, which may limit outgoing wattage 

5. Include mode "no-manual delivery" in base game, include "pliers" mod in base game.

Archived