Walter's slingshot

3 minutes ago, h2mk said:

what if it had longer range and he could use it while running? 

Personally I feel like his range and speed are already in a good spot in terms of risk and reward but I wouldn't mind them trying out increasing either during the beta to see how it'd turn out since this won't effect live servers and is easier to tweak here but I feel like moving and shooting would make him too safe.

4 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Base slingshot is meant to work alongside melee combat not replace it. E.g kite klaus normally with hambat then when he enters the more dangerous chomp phase, kill him safely using slingshot, with 5000hp left it doesn't take long even with slingshot using gold rounds.  Atleast that how i've been using it effectively. I'm 100% AGAINST any buffs to the current slingshot or ammo. It would be too unbalanced and stupid, especially considering walter has no current damage debuffs for melee (which i hope never changes pls).

Walter's slingshot is great for a few bosses, especially Klaus. However, for the majority of bosses, using the slingshot is a terrible idea.

When you shouldn't use the slingshot:

• Ancient Guardian (Melee is faster and less risky)
  • Antlion (It's decent at first, but only viable if outside of the circle. Once the attack get faster you're forced into melee.)
  • Celestial Champion (Decent in some parts, but not in others)
  • Crab King (Wastes freeze ammo, and having to switch lowers the sling's DPS)
  • Dragonfly (Moves too fast)
  • Eye of Terror (Moves too fast; creates few opening for the slingshot)
  • Fuelweaver (A myriad of issues)
  • Toadstool (You can use the slingshot, but have fun shooting for 2 days straight. Walter's stomach isn't even large enough to not eat for that long, so you'll need a place to store food.)

When should you use it, then?

The slingshot isn't viable for the majority of bosses. The remaining bosses are seasonal (the easiest) bosses, and Bee Queen, who you're forced to slingshot. Deerclops, Moose/Goose, and Bearger are incredibly easy to kite without the slingshot, and you won't be affected by their auras anyways. Why use the slingshot?

Bee Queen

Other people have already mentioned how awful the bee allergies are. Walter can defeat BQ with the slingshot, but he is forced into doing it. There's simply no other way for him. That said, this does not mean that defeating BQ is at all fun. It's mind-numbingly boring. 

Klaus

He's good at fighting Klaus, though the best method is rather cheesy. It's the only boss worth using the slingshot on that still makes for a fun fight.

General use:

Outside of boss fights, the slingshot is rarely useful. It's usually used to mitigate risk in boss fights, but in general use, it often has the opposite effect. Most mobs are simply too fast to use the slingshot on. The only real use for it is baiting mobs (e.g. Koalephants), or killing small mobs (e.g. rabbits). Both of those can be done with gold or stone rounds. If the slingshot is only going to be useful for koalephants, rabbits, Klaus, and BQ, what's the point?

The slingshot needs a buff.

Something being "OP" shouldn't mean that it has to be made boring. As far as I'm aware, most people play games to have fun. The slingshot does not make Walter more fun; it makes him feel useless.

33 minutes ago, Grim the said:

Honestly this was also why I felt like his slowdown rounds should give more shots per gem or be cheaper as it's his only way to effectively deal with really fast bosses but it's very expensive for what it is vs other character specific crafts. His slowdown rounds and freeze rounds feel like required parts of his kit for higher level fights but require resources that are rather scarce in the early game marble included and while they become more accessible in the end game by that point you've probably found better solutions.

2 hours ago, Grim the said:

The slingshot needs a buff.

Something being "OP" shouldn't mean that it has to be made boring. As far as I'm aware, most people play games to have fun. The slingshot does not make Walter more fun; it makes him feel useless.

Im all for buffing the slingshot... just not the starting one, there should be atleast 2 more craftable slingshots so it feels like you earned the buff. Simpling buffing walters day 1 starting weapon so its viable for all regular combat with all mobs and bosses is such a boring and uncreative fix to this problem.

Also current slingshot is great for killing big and regular tentacles, finishing off mushnome dudes after getting in a few melee hits when they complete their spore spin of death. Niche but its still useful.

For crab king, yes its slighty slower for freezing but it also holds 6 slots worth of ice staffs in one slot... no more juggling 3 or 4 ice staffs, definitely a worthy trade off. 

And its ok for slowing down celestial champions phase 2 with slow down rounds and fantastic for killing its phase 3... no more awkwardly chasing that floating crystal bum to slap it with a dark sword... slingshot is farrrr nicer for that stage than any melee weapon.

95% of mobs rely on melee combat to hit you, ye can't just straight up buff range combat, klei needs to make us jump through a few hoops to earn the op-ness of a viable high-dps boss killing range weapon. Otherwise you lads might as well enable c_godmode () cause thats what it sounds like you want walter to become.

2 hours ago, Gashzer said:

95% of mobs rely on melee combat to hit you, ye can't just straight up buff range combat, klei needs to make us jump through a few hoops to earn the op-ness of a viable high-dps boss killing range weapon. Otherwise you lads might as well enable c_godmode () cause thats what it sounds like you want walter to become.

I feel like I can never help but to bring this up every time this argument comes up but what about followers mobs and even many bosses do not have the ability to handle the power of being ganged on by followers.

Im all for buffing the slingshot... just not the starting one, there should be atleast 2 more craftable slingshots so it feels like you earned the buff. Simpling buffing walters day 1 starting weapon so its viable for all regular combat with all mobs and bosses is such a boring and uncreative fix to this problem.

I'd be in favor of this even he didn't already have to rely on marble, thulecite, or gems for his ammo there comes a point where your asking too much of the character to be on equal footing with what much greater character perks that require much less effort allow I don't think anyone is asking for the slingshot to be anything crazy but it shouldn't be as bad as it is and we shouldn't have to put so much effort to have access to decent damage with the thing.

For crab king, yes its slighty slower for freezing but it also holds 6 slots worth of ice staffs in one slot... no more juggling 3 or 4 ice staffs, definitely a worthy trade off. 

In situations where you would use a ice staff that slower freezing can make a big difference and there's not a lot of scenarios I can think of where you need more than 1 ice staff.

I literally just want to be able to fill a slingshot up with ammo and give it to another player to use..

If Maxwell can read all of Wickerbottoms books- And Wigfrid can craft and give special spears and helms to others, Why is Walters Slingshot locked to playing as Walter?

Woby, Campfire Stories, Portable Scouts Tent, Crafting Slingshot, Slingshot Ammo & Reloading Slingshot- All of that should be exclusive to Walter.. But just dropping it on the ground so someone else can use? Come on Klei…

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I literally just want to be able to fill a slingshot up with ammo and give it to another player to use..

If Maxwell can read all of Wickerbottoms books- And Wigfrid can craft and give special spears and helms to others, Why is Walters Slingshot locked to playing as Walter?

Woby, Campfire Stories, Portable Scouts Tent, Crafting Slingshot, Slingshot Ammo & Reloading Slingshot- All of that should be exclusive to Walter.. But just dropping it on the ground so someone else can use? Come on Klei…

Wigfrid's spear and helm are upgraded versions of items that already exist, while the slingshot is kinda its own thing. Yeah, ranged weapons exist but they're either designed to be expensive to use (darts) or are pretty much just for utility (boomerang). Wigfrid is still one of the best battle characters even with shareable gear because she has other combat perks. Walter doesn't have any other ranged perks to make him better than Wilson if his Slingshot were shareable. He might as well just give the Slingshot to Wolfgang and become a walking ammo station. Plus, Wigfrid's character thematically leans heavily into leading her fellow survivors into battle, so it makes more sense for her battle gear to be shareable.

This would also beg the question of "why aren't the other survivors' unique crafts sharable?" Like the Alarming Clock and all the discussions about Wolfgang using it that that decision would create. But more important than Wolfgang using Wanda's Alarming Clock would be Walter using it. He would tell his one story about the clock killer in the woods, pull out the Alarming Clock, and say "Yeah the clock killer exists, AND IT'S ME." It would be horrifying. Three Terrorbeaks would immediately spawn on top of every other survivor. There would be no escape.

Archived