Wickerbottom should be able to slap enemies with books

As we know that book slap is part of Wickerbottom's movesets in the Forge, I think it is possible to reuse the animation in her rework, not an essential addition, but fun enough LOL the question is that right clicking on books is already set to trigger their uses, so in order to not causing inputs to conflict, I would say changing Wicker's fist attack animation into a book slap would be a better alternative. What do you guys think?

Joke aside, I was thinking early-game, before one starts Wicker's old & new farm shenanigans, she is missing a "selfish perk", something specific to her alone from get-go & usable on-the-move that would bring some immediate and distinct fun to her character. What you propose, OP, would be quite amusing and particular (akin Forge's mechanic): being able to also equip in hand slot each of her books and, depending on book type, they could do different damage plus adjacent effects, taking from their durability for balance purpose. For example: slapping enemies with On Tentacles, aside 51 damage (or 1/2 of this, namely 25.5), consuming 2-5-10% durability, has also a certain chance to spawn 1 Baby Tentacle per swing. Would be quite neat, both in functionality and comedic factor.

Could just add another book something about self defense, that cannot be read for spells, but instead can be equipped and used as a low damage weapon. Hit enough times to get a buff that reduces sanity cost of next spell cast via book

I love this idea, but it needs to be a HUGE enormous book., something like “The Librarians Guide to finding all the books in a library” you know the Huge book the desk clerks use to skim through to keep track of which books were checked in/out and where they went when returned?

yeah.. that kind of huge book.. and it should deal decentish damage.. not just be completely useless you ever been slapped by a Encyclopedia? I can embarrassingly say that I have.. and it’s equivalent to having a baseball hit you in the face.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:58 PM, Parusoid said:

Could just add another book something about self defense, that cannot be read for spells, but instead can be equipped and used as a low damage weapon. Hit enough times to get a buff that reduces sanity cost of next spell cast via book

Cool XD hopefully they'll find their time sufficient enough for this

On 7/16/2022 at 7:45 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I love this idea, but it needs to be a HUGE enormous book., something like “The Librarians Guide to finding all the books in a library” you know the Huge book the desk clerks use to skim through to keep track of which books were checked in/out and where they went when returned?

yeah.. that kind of huge book.. and it should deal decentish damage.. not just be completely useless you ever been slapped by a Encyclopedia? I can embarrassingly say that I have.. and it’s equivalent to having a baseball hit you in the face.

Maybe, well, book slap can be a decent source of damage, or it can just act as a comedy relief element, depending on the design XD

On 7/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I like the idea of a big book Wickerbottom could equip in her hand slot and smack mobs with. Initially I was thinking of a big phone book (it's a cultural joke in my country that the Police used them to ask questions), then I read people thinking it should be a maths book, and it clicked : a Calculus Book, made of papyrus and rocks (since calculus means small rock), making spear-like damage, and refillable with rocks. It could be nice early game Wicker-only weapon.

New book: "The Neverending Story"

Infinite durability, can be equipped in hand. Does the same damage as a walking cane, and killing an enemy with it has a small chance to drop papyrus.

You can also read it, but all it does is makes you go insane as your character endlessly reads it waiting for the book to get to the point... Until you go fully insane and your character throws the book away.

34 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

Or a ruler!

It'd be hilarious being able to slap enemies with a ruler to lose their aggro while Wicker yells out "Shh!".

sounds cool XD and it become even more hilarious when I just realized in Terraria you CAN actually use a ruler to stab monsters LOL

I want this to be an actual part of her rework, “The book of PAIN”

Plenty Annoying Insects Nullified.

give her quotes like “Suffer Worm!” Or I’ll squish you like a bug!” While she wacks enemy mobs with it.

Whatever the name and effects may be, pls KLei consider the classic gold comedy attached to "old lady hits things with big book" concept - you already went with it for Forge, the will is there for a way. Aside amusement brought by said concept, it also provides a personal, Wicker-only early-to-mid game direct/out-of-gate perk. Something whimsical like "The Ever-Ending Story/Book of Pain&Pleasure/etc" for a hand-slot weapon equipment (even if it does Cane-level damage and is infinite in use, no other effect bound) will surely be appreciated, even if solely for its inherent meme charge :grin:

9 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

(even if it does Cane-level damage and is infinite in use, no other effect bound) 

if it would have an effect, i think it would be funny if it had a small chance to cast a simplified effect of another books upon atacking. nothing powerful, just some chaotic fun. 

like, you smack an enemy and there's a chance a lightning strike hits the enemy as well, or you summon a baby tenticle, or a friendly birchnut(closest to her plant books i could think of) etc 

Archived