[Suggestion] Remove cook live lobster

Some countries forbid lobsters to be cooked alive in restaurants, as scientific studies show that they feel pain in the process.

My suggestion is that the player needs to kill the wobster first and then use it in recipes. So much so that today if we kill them it is not even possible to put them in the pan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/19/boiling-of-live-lobsters-could-be-banned-in-uk-under-proposed-legislation

Similarly, round birdcages like the one seen in DST are a super stressful environment for caged birds, as they have no corners to hide in. Unfortunately stuff like this is somewhat common with video games, where as you want features based on real life things to be as recognizable and intuitive as possible for the players sake. In most people's minds, lobsters = that sea creature you boil alive, so that's how it works in-game.

I'd love if Klei were to look at changing such a thing though. It's much smaller of a change than making entirely new art for the birdcage would be, and they've had features in DS before to raise awareness of real life issues, like shark fin soup being a thing labelled as explicitly morally wrong by the game.

While I see your point, the game is set in a fictional universe and boiling the Wobster is just a grimmy reference to how some people boil lobsters in real life, the game already let's you cook animals alive like Rabbits and Birds on a Fire Pit and it's obvious that in real life animals feel pain if they were set on fire.

Lol you guys are playing the wrong game.. I can capture a pet rabbit and then immediately “cook” it in a fire- in fact when I want to ensure that I get meat to eat and not some other resource by gambling with a “chance” when murdering things like birds (which drop feather) I intentionally throw them over into the fire.

But when you play a game where the world gets so hot rabbits scream out in pain as they spontaneously combust on fire- DST was not intended to be- whatever y’all are wanting it to be..

I think changing the recipes would just be a waste of time Klei could’ve spent doing literally any other type of update.

Not to mention you can also do this to birds-

8EC4F705-C83E-4FC0-A862-24FCB40E804D.gif.1b71c76002cfb95ae55821ed5de2ddef.gif

No, it's a game not real life.

With this dumb logic might as well remove death, combat, plants (plants have feelings and when you pick them they suffer extreme pain and die), and all hostile mobs.

Also, need to remove all crafting recipes with tools because can't have players destroying beautiful nature and creating manmade creations.

Magic is also bad in many countries and beliefs so all references to magic must be removed, Wortox also has to be removed and all characters which can do magic as well then.

Servers need to be removed too cause griefers can grief there and make me sad, oh and chat needs to be removed too because sometimes I see mean words.

In fact the entire game should be removed because it is too disturbing and creepy the artstyle!!!!!

56 minutes ago, . . . said:

No, it's a game not real life.

With this dumb logic might as well remove death, combat, plants (plants have feelings and when you pick them they suffer extreme pain and die), and all hostile mobs.

Also, need to remove all crafting recipes with tools because can't have players destroying beautiful nature and creating manmade creations.

Magic is also bad in many countries and beliefs so all references to magic must be removed, Wortox also has to be removed and all characters which can do magic as well then.

Servers need to be removed too cause griefers can grief there and make me sad, oh and chat needs to be removed too because sometimes I see mean words.

In fact the entire game should be removed because it is too disturbing and creepy the artstyle!!!!!

jokes on you but warbucks, long pig and piglets were discarted for such silly reasons as the ones you mentioned

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

jokes on you but warbucks, long pig and piglets were discarted for such silly reasons as the ones you mentioned

I know! I find it ridiculous when things are removed because somebody finds it offensive because anyone can find anything offensive just like my post shows anything in the game can be offensive.

4 hours ago, . . . said:

I know! I find it ridiculous when things are removed because somebody finds it offensive because anyone can find anything offensive just like my post shows anything in the game can be offensive.

I don't think doug27fani considers it offensive, they just want to raise awareness of the topic, similar how Minecraft made cookies toxic to Parrots when people said that cookies are toxic to birds even though it was just a reference of the "Polly wants a cookie" cliche. Though Minecraft, and Don't Starve as well, have Carrots as the only food for Rabbits/Bunnymen as an obvious reference to the popular belief, even though you shouldn't feed rabbits carrots as they have too much sugar content for them, so there is inconsistency on what or not is aware of the real world.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:20 PM, meow meow meow said:

and they've had features in DS before to raise awareness of real life issues, like shark fin soup being a thing labelled as explicitly morally wrong by the game.

The Shark Fin soup was most likely just a reference to the popularity of the dish on it's own and that is illegal in real life.

That's how most of the game is built on, with cartoon logic and pop culture references over realism: rabbits like carrots, monkeys like bananas, sharks are bloodlusted killing machines, dolphins are friendly and innocent creatures, dodos are dumb, etc.; even though these things are different in real life.

48 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

I don't think doug27fani considers it offensive, they just want to raise awareness of the topic, similar how Minecraft made cookies toxic to Parrots when people said that cookies are toxic to birds even though it was just a reference of the "Polly wants a cookie" cliche. Though Minecraft, and Don't Starve as well, have Carrots as the only food for Rabbits/Bunnymen as an obvious reference to the popular belief, even though you shouldn't feed rabbits carrots as they have too much sugar content for them, so there is inconsistency on what or not is aware of the real world.

If he wants to bring awareness to the topic he can go start a gofundme to save lobsters or protest in restaurants which are cooking lobsters alive.

A game is not the place to do it, games are games, they are for fun and to be an escape from reality by going into a fictional world, that's all. I don't play games for the companies to tell me what is right and what is wrong otherwise I would have went to church or a mosque instead.

And like I said, there's far worse things in this game than cooking a lobster alive. What's next DST should remove all combat from the game to bring awareness to the topic that violence is bad! Maybe they should remove wendy and walter and webber because she can get hurt in pvp and they must bring awareness to the topic that child abuse is bad, maybe they should remove lighting fires to bring awareness to the topic that arson is bad, maybe they should remove wurt because she is racist to pigs and they must bring awareness to the topic that racism is bad, maybe they should remove wortox because he is literally a caricature of a devil and they need to bring awareness to the topic that demons are bad!

Games need to stay games, just being pure entertainment, nothing less and nothing more.

i dont see the point, like, the lobster is goin to die anyways or not? i dont need science to tell me that the lobster feels pain being cooked alive, thats no science, thats basic understanding, gettin killed in what way ever is painfuly, if its being cooked alive or not, the end result remains the same, it becoming food, sounds cruel, but thats just how live is, even more so in the wilderness of a strange world, you dont question if something is moraly right or not if your in a live or death situation, like, why would wilson care how he gets his food? as long he dont die again the better for him

live is unfair, and i want so many things in my live wich will probaly never happen, but so is live, you have to deal with what ever comes to you, and its best to make the best with every situation possible, thats 1 more reason why i love analysing humans so much, to be prepared for what ever it takes in live, to have the right answere ready for when the time comes, to be alive means to use every tool at your disposal, and how to enjoy live in general

7 hours ago, PhoeniX19922 said:

There is a good reason why you boil alive lobsters (including cryfish)

being selfish and cruel arent good reasons

32 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

i dont need science to tell me that the lobster feels pain being cooked alive, thats no science, thats basic understanding, gettin killed in what way ever is painfuly, if its being cooked alive or not, the end result remains the same,

one thing is feeling pain for 1 second and other is suffering 10 mins of agony

27 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

one thing is feeling pain for 1 second and other is suffering 10 mins of agony

it's just a game so no lobsters are feeling anything in dst

also we can't forget in nature animals eat each other alive all the time and things would could be even more painful and can last for an hour or longer of them slowly feeling every part of their body ripped off and feasted on

7 hours ago, PhoeniX19922 said:

There is a good reason why you boil alive lobsters (including cryfish)

yep

"Lobsters and other shellfish have harmful bacteria naturally present in their flesh. Once the lobster is dead, these bacteria can rapidly multiply and release toxins that may not be destroyed by cooking. You therefore minimise the chance of food poisoning by cooking the lobster alive."

boiled lobster with butter is delicious! one of best tasting things to exist on earth :wilson_blush:

1 minute ago, . . . said:

it's just a game so no lobsters are feeling anything in dst

i know, i dont mind having this mechanic in the game. That comment looked like talking about real life

2 minutes ago, . . . said:

also we can't forget in nature animals eat each other alive all the time and things would could be even more painful and can last for an hour or longer of them slowly feeling every part of their body ripped off and feasted on

that other animals do that doesnt mean that if we can do things in a less painful way we shouldnt do it

other animals eat their childs, shall we start doing it?

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that other animals do that doesnt mean that if we can do things in a less painful way we shouldnt do it

other animals eat their childs, shall we start doing it?

nope, just saying this is how nature is. also ofc if i can help it and wanted to eat it i would try to not make it suffer as much because but if its my life or health on the line over that animal its life i'm not going to hesitate at all on what i should prioritize

human lives are all that really matter to me, i couldn't care less about what happens to another species unless it was something that's very close to me like a pet dog.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:52 AM, . . . said:

Games need to stay games, just being pure entertainment, nothing less and nothing more.

I understand this as your opinion, and in the end who decides what the game will have or not is the developer. If she thinks her players' criticisms or suggestions are relevant, and whether or not they're going to implement them in the game, that's her decision, whether it's commercial or not.

That's why the discussion forum is important, so that people can express their opinions, and even though I think your arguments are weak in this case, I think it's valid for you to be able to expose them.

Games have never been, and probably won't be, just entertainment. Games may be entertainment only, if the player sees it.

2 hours ago, doug27fani said:

Games have never been, and probably won't be, just entertainment. Games may be entertainment only, if the player sees it.

Actually no, games were originally always for fun and escaping reality and even now 90% of games are. nobody plays games to think or care about real world problems or else we would have popular peta and activist game which all you do is talk about real world problems.

games implementing politics and other nonsense which is pointless to the gameplay is a new trend which a lot of companies do for good boy points and it's lame, sad, and pathetic because it shows instead of prioritizing what is best for gameplay they prioritizing good boy points and will ruin, censor, and make gameplay less fun to get those precious good boy points.

Games always must always be games and only prioritize what is best fun gameplay not catering to people's beliefs, religions, or politics. If you actually want to something meaningful for lobsters then go stop some real ones from being boiled alive or buy some and keep them as pets and feed them tasty lobster food.

4 hours ago, . . . said:

Actually no, games were originally always for fun and escaping reality and even now 90% of games are. nobody plays games to think or care about real world problems or else we would have popular peta and activist game which all you do is talk about real world problems.

games implementing politics and other nonsense which is pointless to the gameplay is a new trend which a lot of companies do for good boy points and it's lame, sad, and pathetic because it shows instead of prioritizing what is best for gameplay they prioritizing good boy points and will ruin, censor, and make gameplay less fun to get those precious good boy points.

Games always must always be games and only prioritize what is best fun gameplay not catering to people's beliefs, religions, or politics. If you actually want to something meaningful for lobsters then go stop some real ones from being boiled alive or buy some and keep them as pets and feed them tasty lobster food.

Games can absolutely convey a political or moral message if the developer wants them to. It's one thing to bring irrelevant ideological standpoints to attention - it's easy to see why that might be irritating.

But this is a game where - as others have pointed out, you are explicitly given the ability to cook creatures alive. It also features a loose "morality" system, where doing "bad" things like killing "innocent" creatures gives you a demon who comes to steal your stuff. And the "badness" applies to things like shark fin soup in shipwrecked. It's not at all unreasonable or overtly against the themes that the don't starve series presents to request an adjustment to the treatment of lobsters in cooking.

Personally I could see something like gaining extra naughtiness for activating a crock pot with a live wobster in it. Perhaps even add bonus naughtiness points for cooking other animals alive. Makes farming krampus easier as a bonus whilst conveying the desired message.

8 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

Games can absolutely convey a political or moral message if the developer wants them to

They can, but usually the developers just unnaturally shoehorn it in for no reason other than to get good boy points and that's stupid :disturbed:

And ultimately I prefer my games to stay games. 90% of actual gamers which play games a lot do not want politics, religious moral beliefs, or any ideologies preached by a faceless company which only exists to take people's money while playing a game which is meant to be about survival, killing things, eating things, building things, and ultimately becoming the god of this world. They just want to have mindless fun playing the games.

If Klei wants to do anything for the lobsters they can donate a few million dollars to lobster relief funds.

8 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

Personally I could see something like gaining extra naughtiness for activating a crock pot with a live wobster in it. Perhaps even add bonus naughtiness points for cooking other animals alive. Makes farming krampus easier as a bonus whilst conveying the desired message.

Now this would be a tasteful way to include it instead of something stupid like outright removing the ability to cook them.

If Klei removes the ability to cook lobsters it's very bad since it is spreading false info that lobsters need to be dead to use in cooking which can lead to someone thinking that's how you are meant to eat lobsters which is unsafe and could lead to them getting very sick or potentially dying.

.WHO GIVES A CRAP. ITS A GAME. IF YOU DON'T WANT FICTIONAL LOBSTERS TO "SUFFER" THEN DON'T CATCH ANY.

if your FRAGILE feelings get "hurt" over stupid crap like this maybe you are to young to be playing "big boy video games" and need to stick to coloring books.

Archived