[Suggestion] Capture or Walk the plank.

With the introduction of the Powder Monkeys, and subsequently their roaming ships/ monkey attacks, there is a lot of opportunity to expand upon the concept of pirates in the Constant. I would like to suggest an expansion of such mechanics including the ability for Powder Monkeys to take prisoner or make players walk the plank off their own boat.

If players become fully disarmed in a raid, they would be forced to walk the plank and wash up ashore, wherein the monkeys pilot the ship to their island and the player gets a section of their map revealing the location of Quay Island.

If players are badly HURT, they are captured and taken prisoner instead, put in cages and brought to Quay Island where (maybe) they would be fully cursed and released on the island.

I love the inclusion of pirate battles at sea since I've always been a huge fan of pirate-based stuff and these suggestions I believe would make Powder Monkeys even more pirate-like.

Damn this idea would add so much, since we have drowned transition to land, it would be cool if we let ourselves be taken by the pirates by simply not holding a weapon in our hands and not killing them. The drawback could be lose everything in your inventory for a free trip to the monkey island where you start fresh and need to find a way to get rid of the curse so you appease with the queen and go back to the main land.

2 hours ago, Zerobillion said:

Care to explain what those problems are, or is this a completely meaningless comment?

Ok lets imagine what the idea would be like:

The player is just wandering in the ocean, and all of a sudden they get ambushed by a moonquay raft, the powder monkeys relentlessly steal all of the boat's content and the monkeys decide to spare the player and they take them with their boat to the moonquay island for them to be judged by the queen.

The idea sounds cool as ****, but it ignores stuff that would make it incompatible with the dst experience.

- They would have to redesign entirely the boat AI, right now as far as im aware they just run away from you after they done looting, they cant dodge seastacks, land, or even park their boat at moonquay island.

- They have no light source with them, assuming they would beat you up with their cutless and steal everything from you, if the night comes by when you are being transported you are screwed basically.

- Powder monkeys are really silly, ive never had problems with them, i tanked them without armor (except the captain) so them stealing the stuff and the player letting them do so to trigger this "capture" event makes it even more staged.

2 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

Ok lets imagine what the idea would be like:

The player is just wandering in the ocean, and all of a sudden they get ambushed by a moonquay raft, the powder monkeys relentlessly steal all of the boat's content and the monkeys decide to spare the player and they take them with their boat to the moonquay island for them to be judged by the queen.

The idea sounds cool as ****, but it ignores stuff that would make it incompatible with the dst experience.

- They would have to redesign entirely the boat AI, right now as far as im aware they just run away from you after they done looting, they cant dodge seastacks, land, or even park their boat at moonquay island.

- They have no light source with them, assuming they would beat you up with their cutless and steal everything from you, if the night comes by when you are being transported you are screwed basically.

- Powder monkeys are really silly, ive never had problems with them, i tanked them without armor (except the captain) so them stealing the stuff and the player letting them do so to trigger this "capture" event makes it even more staged.

Hmm, good points. Perhaps the cages could have torches on them? I mostly suggested "disarm" because I had no better idea than that, but I agree they may be too weak to fully disarm players. Perhaps that too could have a different criteria?

1 hour ago, Owlrust said:

Hmm, good points. Perhaps the cages could have torches on them? I mostly suggested "disarm" because I had no better idea than that, but I agree they may be too weak to fully disarm players. Perhaps that too could have a different criteria?

well, 0% expectations for this to become a thing, but i think the most coherent idea would be if they kind of like knock you down, since when you are asleep you get darkness inmunity, though you would still starve.

Honestly I'd want Monkey based kidnappings to be a thing either way. That sounds hilariously awesome.

I do honestly think that it'd make for an extremely unique/funny way of finding out about the island too though. 
It'd be much more unique and interactive over finding a map! It also shows how ruthless they can be and how mighty elusive they are...

Archived