Automatic sorted sweeping storage

I haven't found that many ideas on designs for dupes sweeping debris (without a sweeping command) into some sort of infinte storage so I figured I'll put my design here and see if people come up with better ideas.

The problem: every time you build/deconstruct/dig something debris is left all over the place and you need to manually put sweep orders or have tons of storage bins.

My solution:

image.thumb.png.8f12deb6c83285e79ddbf444f4d3733f.png

The 3 bins where dupes are standing, are the "Input" bins for 6 different types of materials. The bins on the left are the "Output" bins. The priority of the input bins is 1 and the output bins are 2 (they just need to be higher). The dupes will bring all resources into the the input bins and the (input) auto-sweeper will put them on the (unnaccesible) infinte storage on the center. The (output) auto sweeper will load from the infinte storage area into the output bins. 

I've made a bigger version of this for more than 6 materials but I like the idea of having a small modular version, I also prefer to avoid loaders since become a bottle neck quickly (imagine, moving 400kg materials for an insulated tile at 20kg/s, so 20 seconds per tile).

If you come up with a design or idea I would love to see it!

On 6/21/2022 at 4:52 AM, degr said:

I never care about debris, because if everything lay everywhere, no need to care about construction materials delivery, most probably they are already in place.

If it's laying around in large quantities, yes. But if you have building materials scattered around all over it can cause your dupes to need to take extra trips to collect them.

I tend to use Granite, Igneous, Sedimentary, and Obsidian in large quantities for tiles and pipes. I also tend to grab 20T of them at a time for away missions. So I like to set up a room with a bin for each set to priority 3 or 4, so that dupes who would otherwise be idle can collect them all into one place. Then when I need them a dupe with +20 Strength can go and grab a couple of tons of it at a time.

@Occam Blazer I never thought of using the priorities system! that's very ingenious and space efficient, I was having trouble with dupes delivering from bins to dispensers but never thought I could split the jobs. I do would like everyone to have access to everything around mid-to-late game, but it's super straight forward to set up early on since it doesn't require engineers, so I'm definitively using that for my early game.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:52 AM, degr said:

I never care about debris, because if everything lay everywhere, no need to care about construction materials delivery, most probably they are already in place.

Yeah, I understand, I (and I'm sure others) have a bit of an OCD about debris being everywhere, like it is literally a post about automating keeping things clean XD. Also, on late game I would try most things that improve FPS.

Here's how the center of my base looks like now, the only issues is that every time I get a (up to 6) new material I need to make a new module and the space is taking.

image.thumb.png.e5a1776c497fe0906fcea68423425da9.png

Archived