Night and sleep

I actually enjoy the night because it gives me time to just soak up the atmosphere and plan my next activity. This is kind of why the game really benefits by giving us nothing to do for a little moment is because themeatically the game needs to emphasis loneliness, and nothing is going to do that better than having nothing to do but stare into that dying fire and feel that darkness encroach on you -- you're alone out there, and your only company are scaredy cat pigmen, and they sleep through the night while you stare into that fire and wonder how this all happened.Or you do when you allow yourself to get engrossed in the game. We all need to find our own ways to enjoy things, but, I kind of went into the game expecting to have to wait around for the safety of light, and was appreciative of the games atmosphere and goals, and am fond of those things in general.

Great comment. There have been a few times between cleaning out the inventory, cooking, making components, etc. that my character stops and just stares at me. It's so quiet and peaceful. I actually find enjoyment in 30 seconds of downtime. Odd, but I really like it.

Its the Vashta Nerada!I find night to be one of the best nights to hunt rabbits. You literally are just running to the field of rabbits and bopping them on the head with your torch and you get millions of easy to grab morsels. You could also literally slaughter rabbits next to other rabbits in their sleep and they dont make a peep! (Well they do scream but it doesnt wake up the other rabbits nearby evidently). That being said, why doesnt the Grue eat the rabbits sleeping outside D:

Great comment. There have been a few times between cleaning out the inventory, cooking, making components, etc. that my character stops and just stares at me. It's so quiet and peaceful. I actually find enjoyment in 30 seconds of downtime. Odd, but I really like it.

Agree. Night is a chance to relax a bit, cook the day's food and do some research/building.

i think that at the fullmoon nights we could go out with no light, so we could kill some grues and reset our naughtiness kiling them... but they need to be very very strong, but you could also stay near fire to continue safe from them

I think this is a pretty interesting idea... although I would assume killing a grue would be the hardest thing to kill in the game.

Its the Vashta Nerada!I find night to be one of the best nights to hunt rabbits. You literally are just running to the field of rabbits and bopping them on the head with your torch and you get millions of easy to grab morsels. You could also literally slaughter rabbits next to other rabbits in their sleep and they dont make a peep! (Well they do scream but it doesnt wake up the other rabbits nearby evidently). That being said, why doesnt the Grue eat the rabbits sleeping outside D:

All my rabbits run when the sun sets. Are you filling in the rabbit holes? Doesn't that just deplete the number of rabbits overall? I thought filling in the rabbit hole would not allow another rabbit to regenerate.

Yes, I usually use the night to cook, harvest gathered resources (i.e. grass), craft, and decide what I'm going to do the next day. While I can appreciate that the Devs want the night to become more dangerous... I wish it wouldn't impact sanity. Too many people are now resolving to simply skip nights with the straw bedroll, so in the end how does that help the gameplay? The Devs should simply add more real threats hunting the player at night (other than just spiders), but leave those players who want to stay in the camp's alone, so long as they have a roaring fire pit to keep back the darkness.

Its the Vashta Nerada!

An interesting guess. Actually the reason why we've identified the "creature" that attacks you in darkness as the Grue is because, first of all, that's the Grue's MO. In Zork, if you were in an area without a light source a Grue ate you. The other reason is simply this, in the game's code the routine that injures the player is referred to simply as "Grue". Of course I can understand if the Devs don't want to bring it up officially, what with the Grue belonging to the Zork game series.

That being said, why doesnt the Grue eat the rabbits sleeping outside D:

That's actually a question another forum member raised. He wanted all sleeping rabbits and birds to be "eaten" by the grue, leaving nothing behind. In this way players wouldn't find them around the map sleeping unprotected outside their rabbit holes and whatnot.

i think that at the fullmoon nights we could go out with no light, so we could kill some grues and reset our naughtiness kiling them... but they need to be very very strong, but you could also stay near fire to continue safe from them

That's a tough call, as the Grue from Zork mythology was typically invincible. It was how the game punished players for traveling without a light source, and I can certainly see why the Devs chose the same method in Don't Starve.

That's a tough call, as the Grue from Zork mythology was typically invincible. It was how the game punished players for traveling without a light source, and I can certainly see why the Devs chose the same method in Don't Starve.

I keep coming back to this... GruHah. I can sort of see what people are saying with the Grue killing everything that sleeps on the ground out of light, but you're also a stranger in a strange land. You don't know the rules and you don't belong.

An interesting guess. Actually the reason why we've identified the "creature" that attacks you in darkness as the Grue is because, first of all, that's the Grue's MO. In Zork, if you were in an area without a light source a Grue ate you. The other reason is simply this, in the game's code the routine that injures the player is referred to simply as "Grue". Of course I can understand if the Devs don't want to bring it up officially, what with the Grue belonging to the Zork game series.

Now now Mobius, we've seen the code :PGrue is referred to as "Charlie" in the code actually!(coincidentally that is my real name)(no seriously, its a coincidence)>_>

why doesnt the Grue eat the rabbits sleeping outside D:

for what ever reason it doesnt eat the pigmen that sleep outside after being werepigs or having their homes bustedtecniclly the "grue" is not nessaarly a grue as it is never called one in game it just got named that by the forumsfor all we know its some beast spawned by Maxwell for the sheer purpose of tormenting the player/characteralso you can sleep without a light so long as you do it before the twilight time ends Edited by stormfront

I think it makes sense for sanity to lower at night, although, maybe not as quickly? But if I was alone out in the wilderness and I knew there was a thing waiting to catch me out of the light, and it is always there, I'd probably slowly go insane in the dark too.

I keep coming back to this... Gru

Yeah, to be honest that never came to my mind. :p

Hah. I can sort of see what people are saying with the Grue killing everything that sleeps on the ground out of light, but you're also a stranger in a strange land. You don't know the rules and you don't belong.

Yup. Who knows how this creature thinks? There could be lots of reasons why it doesn't hunt other creatures.

Now now Mobius, we've seen the code :p

You have? I haven't, I just quote other people who have. ;)

for what ever reason it doesnt eat the pigmen that sleep outside after being werepigs or having their homes busted

Yup.

tecniclly the "grue" is not nessaarly a grue as it is never called one in game it just got named that by the forumsfor all we know its some beast spawned by Maxwell for the sheer purpose of tormenting the player/character

Well yes, it really can't be a Grue because Grues are from Zork. So in that regard it's something "else".

also you can sleep without a light so long as you do it before the twilight time ends

So I guess what we could surmise is that the Grue, or whatever, doesn't hunt monsters (maybe it hates monster meat?) or sleeping creatures. So if you go to sleep, you're fine. But if you're awake and in the darkness... it eats you.