Issues I Have With Some Characters (Reworked and Yet-To-Be)

These are my personal opinions on some of the issues (and only issues) that I see with some characters, both reworked and yet-to-be.

If you’re opinion is that my opinion is wrong, well that’s what opinions are for :>

This is just my personal feedback on these characters.

Woodie

You don’t want to be Woodie if Alter is awakened for the Celestial Champion quest line and is unplayable if you intentionally want Alter awakened for 24/7 full moons.

Wilson (yet-to-be-reworked)

Wilson has a very nice beard for Winter. 

However, I kill Klaus every year, which means I must shave the whole beard so I don’t overheat to death when fighting Klaus. 

This leads to playing a good portion of Winter without a full beard. 

Wickerbottom (yet-to-be reworked)

Her books are mainly for amassing resources, as she doesn’t have much more else going for her that doesn’t quickly fall out of use (i.e. unlocking T2 science when standing next to a Science Machine).

The delicate stomach perk of halving the stats from food feels like an annoyance at times on Wicker, as stale food becomes 1/8th the value. Some kind of bias is probably at play here though.

Maxwell (yet-to-be-reworked)

As the former king of the world that knows (almost) all about the constant, he’s fallen to a very far place, with the “main role” of Maxwell the Puppetmaster is to use his puppets to gather logs, flint, and rocks :’(

He's more a lore machine to me than a character :'(

He also can't wear the Enlightened Crown as having even a single Shadow Puppet deactivates the crown.

He also has no perks related to Nightmare Fuel despite his obvious affinity to it, even with his wariness of it (as he knows the dangers of it). 

Willow 

The main perk of Willow the Fire Starter is her giant animated Teddy Bear, BERNIE!

The fire related perks are nice, but are more of a side show rather than the main perk.

Winona

Good for bulk crafting, not so great for day-to-day base building in my opinion.

You are always crafting in this game and if you’re a base builder, even more so. 

When I base built with her, I felt punished for it. I’m a slow builder, so I’m always crafting every minute, which means I always lose extra hunger, then I’m met with slow crafting, which means I’ve got to eat more often for simply trying to make my base pretty compared to other chars.

Spoiler

That, and unlike other reworks, she kind of falls into the swap character category rather than a main pick.

Lowkey, Warly faces this issue too, but he's in a better state than Winona imo.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Winona

i think having the slow crafting when hungry downside is enough downside, adding hunter consumption just for crafting 1 thing but later being able to craft tons of items without hunger penalty not only makes 0 sense but is so damn annoying. Unnecessary annoyance for an already not so interesting (gameplay wise) character

Here's an addendum to some more things I remembered.

Wormwood

The bramble traps are pretty bad at killing hounds and in all likely hood, will kill the player instead.  

When Wormwood came out, a friend and I farmed a ton of Living Logs + Stingers with a Wortox+Wormwood combo, and my friend proceed to use all the living logs on the traps. The AoE effect of the traps did not do anything to the hounds and for future waves, we were the ones more likely to die as we'd always forget to wear a Bramble Husk to make sure the traps wouldn't hurt us. 

It was easier to just use tooth traps instead.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang is perfect in almost every regard except one: base building. 

When doing intense base building, you are not doing activities that keep you mighty, therefore you end up being wimpy most of the time, which at times can be a slight annoyance.

In every other aspect though, maintaining mightiness for resource gathering, fighting, and while traveling is very good.

Wurt

If you are like myself and don't want to engage in Merm Civ Simulator, the main thing Wurt has going for her is a wetness immunity and the ability to use the Winter/Summer fish for a reasonable amount of time. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but that's what left if you don't want to build Merms.

1 minute ago, lakhnish said:

If you are like myself and don't want to engage in Merm Civ Simulator, the main thing Wurt has going for her is a wetness immunity and the ability to use the Winter/Summer fish for a reasonable amount of time. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but that's what left if you don't want to build Merms.

well i mean this could go for any character tbh. I don't like wendy cause she relies on something else for everything and doesn't really have anything on your own but i don't think the entire character should be uprooted cause it isn't to my personal taste.

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

I don't like wendy cause she relies on something else for everything and doesn't really have anything on your own but i don't think the entire character should be uprooted cause it isn't to my personal taste.

I do not like farming Wood. It is why I do not engage in the Merms.

Abigail without potions is still pretty good.

Again, this is my personal opinion on things so you don't have to agree with it.

9 hours ago, lakhnish said:

Maxwell

I was thinking about it yesterday before going to sleep. "Should Maxwell keep being a resource gathering character or change completely his role?". I don't think Maxwell likes being compared to Woodie.

28 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Wurt

Wurt is a good character, and I don't think she needs a buff.

7 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Never said she was bad.

Oh, sorry, I may have miss understood you. English is not my main lenguage. 

Now, I'd like to add something. I think Willow"s issue is that she doesn't excel at anything. Most characters have a thing they are good at. Maxwell and Woodie gathering resources, Wolfgang and Wigfrid fighting, Winona setting farms, etc. I think the only reason why someone would play as her is because her personality or her design. I've not played as her much time, but, in my opinion, her perks are not so usefull. Being  a pyromaniac could lead to more interesting mechanics.

Winona's hunger penalty isn't too bad. In worst scenario, you craft a new thing every 31 second, just to trigger the hunger penalty as much as you can, it will cost you only 80 hunger a day, something like a honey ham, which is not bad in my opinion. And that's the woorrst case. Just carry an extra meatball and there shouldn't be too much problem.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, lakhnish said:

However, I kill Klaus every year, which means I must shave the whole beard so I don’t overheat to death when fighting Klaus. 

This leads to playing a good portion of Winter without a full beard.

Couldn't you just fight Klaus on the last day of Winter? Although it would be pretty cool if you could grow a beard on command.

Also, what about Warly? He's really lacking personal perks and interactions outside of both cooking slightly faster and bundling food for other characters.

4 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

Couldn't you just fight Klaus on the last day of Winter?

If I'm playing with people, I can't really do that.

If I do it the last day of Winter, there's a very high chance I will forget to do Klaus all together if I start doing other projects and take breaks, so I do it early so I don't have to stress about it last second.

For Warly, I put him in the spoiler.

41 minutes ago, goatt said:

In worst scenario, you craft a new thing every 31 second, just to trigger the hunger penalty as much as you can, it will cost you only 80 hunger a day, something like a honey ham, which is not bad in my opinion

I did it for 500 days when I played just Winona and Winona alone as a "base mom" (I had a big build project at the time that my friends enjoyed). It was not fun.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, lakhnish said:

Woodie

having a log meter similar to the one in ds (not the one in human form) would be a good first step in helping woodie. It would actually allow you to use wereforms as long as you need without awkwardly being forced out of them after a fairly short timer.

It would even help with the moonstorm disaster since you could tank the moon birds in order to become human fairly quickly.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, lakhnish said:

Willow 

The main perk of Willow the Fire Starter is her giant animated Teddy Bear, BERNIE!

The fire related perks are nice, but are more of a side show rather than the main perk.

I feel like this is kind of just the nature of fire in this game, it's generally a bad thing to have around because it quickly destroys resources and bases but at the same time fire itself is not really that deadly, the only times it's seriously used by players to kill things it'll be through stacking 40 planks or something of that nature, which just isn't a scenario that is likely to naturally arise.

there's good reason why most of her many reworks decreased the association with fire, it's not a good thing to build a character around in this game

image.png.af863e139b6504222b05acb83229795b.png

Willow being able to camp the magma ponds is neat, as well as other interactions like chopping a tree while it burns and burning + shoveling a sapling, but they're not really gamechanging.

Despite all this, she's one of my favourite characters precisely because nothing about her is really gamechanging, and she's certainly not in a bad position right now. I'll pretend the bear isn't gamechanging

If I could change one thing about Willow, it'd honestly be to just let her refuel the lighter with NMF. I'd hang onto it for a lot longer if I didn't need to scrounge up petals for crafting new ones, very annoying since I'm using it most in the caves where you can't get them.

Spoiler

having the light radius scale with insanity would also help, or just flat out increasing it in general. After the first few days I'm ditching the lighter even if it has charge left, and just crafting torches, so something is clearly wrong with it, it's like if football helmets were the optimal headgear as Wigfrid. People ask Wig for her helmets, no one has ever asked Willow for a lighter.

2 hours ago, kirihime said:

Willow being able to camp the magma ponds is neat, as well as other interactions like chopping a tree while it burns and burning + shoveling a sapling, but they're not really gamechanging.

my favourite is to burn a tree and stand inside the fire while fighting spiders/hounds since they wont hit you. 

Archived