Sorry if this sounds whiny. Felling less excited about playing due to issues with lag

I’ve lost a bit of enthusiasm for DST on the Switch because of difficulties with lag, specifically during combat. I find it near impossible to kite certain enemies with or without lag compensation turned on. As most people already know, with lag compensation on, enemies are able to hit you even if it seems you are out of their hitbox range. However with it turned off I find that the input lag makes it so I end up moving towards and attacking enemies too late. For example when trying to kill a Clockwork Knight, by the time I get close enough to attack after it moves away from me, it’s already hitting me back making it so I cannot avoid taking damage every time I go in for a swing. I don’t know if others have the same problem, but I usually don’t  have this much trouble with kiting most things when playing the single-player Don’t Starve. I’m not going to just drop the game entirely because of this and will keep trying to find a way to survive, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts. 

This thing probably a performance issues, had this exactly the same laggy/fps drop while kitting or when there's a lot of mob around my character on my 5 y.o laptop (2,4 ghz, 500 mb gpu, 4GB RAM).

It's always performance issues when people talking about various bug in Klei games (this including my ONI on my 5 y.o laptop which is currently unplayable due to new update uses more RAM, 4 GB RAM wasn't enough anymore). I regret buying ONI, i'm a full time working man. I'm not buying a new laptop for a games no i won't.

I really wish they focused to fix all their games performance for 4 GB ram which is the amount of v1 Nintendo Switch installed. Can't even fight any mobs i met on switch without using protection gear to prevent massive HP loss from a single hit because the kitting are broken.

6 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:

I don't understand why there isn't a heavier focus on client side calculation as is seen in games like terraria. I think consistency between players matters a lot less than it might in something like a shooter.

No matter how strong the dedicated server is (if you play online), if your PC/console doesn't have enough memory and slow processor you will experiencing fps drop and ping loss.

In this case PS4 has 8GB total RAM meanwhile Switch only has 4 GB RAM, but judging by this video :

It looks like the 8 GB RAM will do works just fine without ping loss even in solo mode.

I heard once in somewhere here that every explored map will use your RAM more so someone told me to delete the explored map, i don't see any change still.

I just wish KLEI team could let me play DST like original DS but with DST dlc without hosting a server if i choose to play single player offline, same like RoG or Shipwrecked. I know a little program language (not very smart tho), but i guess that mean KLEI have to re-build everything from zero if they plan to do this.

Agreed, the lag is ass and it's very hard too kite. Even the graphics are choppy when playing on the TV vs in handheld. I already assumed this was gonna be the case since the switch hardware is outdated..it runs vanilla OK and that's why I took the chance..Hopefully there is a fix coming but idk.

Archived