An idea on implementing mods for console ports of DST.

So this idea popped up in my head a while ago and I just wanted to share it here.
There are a lot of people who would love to play with mods on console, but can't. So here's what I had in mind - Klei could port mods from the workshop, bundle them into little expansion packs (let's say 5-10 mods per pack) and put them as DLC in the console stores. There could be quality of life modpacks (Global Positions, Geometric Placement, Night and Dusk OST, etc.)
There could be content packs including mods such as Cherry Island, Uncompromising mode, maybe even Reforged or Re-Gorge-itated so console players finally get the chance to experience them.
There could also be character packs with mods like Whemy, Weston or Wilton.
Of course these modpacks would be free, with all credit given to the original creators.
I don't know all the technical stuff about how DST works and all, so I don't even know if all this would be possible.
Anyways, let me know what you guys think about this, just putting this out there.

That would make Klei responsible for upkeeping those mods on console, and as far as I'm aware Klei does not want that to be the case. It is time and resources that are better spent for them elsewhere.

Making mods work on console as well would probably be a pain, since most mods have only ever been developed for PC. I'm guessing there aren't many modders who mod for PC but also play on console.

If I can recall, I believe Klei never intended to add DLC as it'd split the playerbase into people who played on either, say, a DLC expanded world or a non DLC world. A lot of people wanted Shipwrecked content into DST and wanted it as potentially a DLC.
Again, I don't like putting words in peoples' mouths so I'm not really sure if this was the case!

3 hours ago, Pixil said:

If I can recall, I believe Klei never intended to add DLC as it'd split the playerbase into people who played on either, say, a DLC expanded world or a non DLC world. A lot of people wanted Shipwrecked content into DST and wanted it as potentially a DLC.
Again, I don't like putting words in peoples' mouths so I'm not really sure if this was the case!

From what I understood that was to not split the playerbase between people who paid money for the dlc vs people who didn't want to buy them.

The odds of this happening are as low as Wes survival odds in the compendium (Aka None)

there are several reasons why- Sony/Microsoft aren’t as relaxed on their rules about modding so you only see very few console games being able to do it (mainly Skyrim and Fallout 4) the mods that are approved on Console pale in comparison to what they let exist on PC.

Sony/Microsoft also love to make money too, Minecraft is evidence to this- on mobile or Pc version you can download as many skins and mods as you want for free and can even make your own, but on consoles you have to buy them all separately with in game transactions.

The likelihood of Klei being allowed to do this is highly unlikely.

Archived