Similar to crude oil, lumber may possible be converted into ethanol through heating. Also maybe even produce some kind of combustible gas for the natural gas generator. While it should have down side and/or complexity similar to crude oil,

Initial thought on the conversion is lumber becoming ethanol gas and something another with 2:1 ratio or something.
And lastly as becoming an element, lumber might possible be tagged as raw material or something with negative overheat modifier.

Lumber is already a resource from Arbor Trees, which you can refine into ethanol, if you play on some other planetoids, you will see it available to you. Refining it into ethanol is way too expensive and requires too much space right now, something that could really be improved upon.

Would love to see it used as a building resource requirement for regular ladders and some other buildings that clearly are visually seen as being made at least in part out of wood. That would require other sources of some early lumber, say mealwood for example, as its name suggests.

51 minutes ago, pond_grass said:

What I meant as a element, is instead of being a genetic ooze, it is a element that have state changes.

Imo it works better as a unique resoirce since it`s not mied but harvested similar to food items. But if it was an element then it should probably change into coal when heated. I`d also add a kiln recipie for that and add it to the list of hatch food but i`m not sure it would be worthwhile since i didn`t do the math on that.

12 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

unique resoirce since it`s not mied but harvested similar to food items.

There are elements that are not mined, such as steel and plastic and the space materials. The point is to allow unique state transition, which would require unique element of it's own, instead of using genetic ooze.

4 hours ago, pond_grass said:

The point is to allow unique state transition, which would require unique element of it's own, instead of using genetic ooze.

a unique state transition does not require a unique element. for example, raw eggs, when heated to a certain temperature, turn into an omelette.

22 minutes ago, Sanchozz said:

a unique state transition does not require a unique element. for example, raw eggs, when heated to a certain temperature, turn into an omelette.

Oh, I didn't notice that, then I guess that is possible to.

Change into coal + crude oil + petroleum +  ethanol + natural gas + steam + CO2 when heated, which is somewhat true to real wood pyrolysis? Then it's like the oil refinery: either boil it yourself or have a machine that is less efficient resource-wise.

Difference from oil boiling: The temperature is lower, maybe 200C, allowing steel aqua-tuners to be used. On the other hand, you have a solid material which is harder (mechatronics research) to pipe around, and you have to deal with *seven* output streams of solid, liquid, and gas. Thus petroleum boilers are difficult due to the very high temperatures involved, while wood boilers are more difficult due to the logistical complexity. So the challenges feel quite different.

I'd love to see lumber better implemented in ONI.  How far do you have to travel in your home to touch something made of wood?  I can touch 4 things made of wood without leaving my keyboard.  And yet we can't make anything out of wood in ONI.  Even if we could only use lumber to craft ladders it would be an improvement, especially since ladders look like they are made from wood anyway.

1 hour ago, tuxii said:

And yet we can't make anything out of wood in ONI.

Yes, hot tubs are the only wooden object and they are *very* niche and finicky temperature-wise.

I found a really beautiful (for both us and duplicants) mod with wooden structures: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2026560107. In a rock-poor asteroid it would be even more of a stable of base construction!

20 hours ago, calibayzone said:

Yes, hot tubs are the only wooden object and they are *very* niche and finicky temperature-wise.

One of two; second being the sauna which is arguably even more niche and finnicky.

Anyway i could see lumber as a replacement for some materials. Heck maybe even allow us to create plywood out of it via the rock crusher and use that as a replacement to raw rocks but with better insulative properties.

Archived