my wishlist after 350 hours

Assuming that more updates are planned, here is my list of features that I wish was in the base game.  Listed in approximate order of desire, with #1 being my most-wished-for item.

1. Let me zoom all the way out on the map to see the whole base at once.
  2. Allow use of ARROW keys instead of WASD keys on a keyboard for map scrolling.
  3. Allow cross-pipes to connect immediately on top of appropriate end points like wire bridges can do, without requiring use of an extra tile of distance between them.
  4. The Skills UI with the dupe and their hat should ALSO show the sweater and allow changing it.
  5. Choose a custom color for air and liquid pipes, regardless of the pipe composition or the zone it is in.  (e.g. oxygen goes HERE, polluted water goes HERE, up to my choice)
  6. Add a game setting toggle that will auto-pause the game and re-center the view on the portal whenever the next care package portal opens.  (I hate losing track of time and missing opportunities for more frequent deliveries.)
  7. Let me place custom text onto the map.  OPTIONAL: Maybe make it appear as a constructed sign (like the park sign) but the text always shows on the gui.
  8. Stretch cross-pipes from a minimum distance of 2 tiles away from the starting point to wherever-I-release-the-mouse-button-while-drawing.
  9. Improve the care package mechanism.  Either outright give a reroll mechanism, or allow filtering to certain choices (dupes, minerals, organics, liquids, metals, seeds, fauna, etc.)
  10. Allow me to relocate items (especially furniture/art) rather than waste time on a whole deconstruct/reconstruct cycle.
  11. In the construction gui, show all possible source materials for that items construction.  Do not limit this display to only the items I've already discovered.  This knowledge would lead me to search for new resources rather than toil away in ignorance of possibilities.
  12. Add a new device that can exchange heat in vacuum in a certain direction.  On the surface they could be used in 2 ways.  During day, they would absorb heat from the sky.  During night, they would radiate heat into the sky.  This would require new gameplay to protect/expose them to vertical sunlight with bunker doors, as we protect other equipment but for different reasons.
  13. OPTIONAL: Add a new "unlighted" mode that keeps even explored areas dim.  Simultaneously add lamps to dupe helmets and add new bioluminescent fungi for unpowered lighting.  (Typical lighting adds too much heat over time.)

3 hours ago, MellowTigger said:

Let me zoom all the way out on the map to see the whole base at once.

If you press Alt + S you'll activate screenshot mode, which while active, allows you to zoom out much further than normal.

3 hours ago, MellowTigger said:

OPTIONAL: Add a new "unlighted" mode that keeps even explored areas dim.  Simultaneously add lamps to dupe helmets and add new bioluminescent fungi for unpowered lighting.  (Typical lighting adds too much heat over time.)

Years and years ago, someone did I mock up of what this could look like, and I immediately fell in love with the idea.  There is a mod that does this, but I haven't used it and am thus unable say much about it.

onidarkness.thumb.png.83f593626d40810e21ac3f99d047c2d3.png

On 3/31/2022 at 3:14 PM, goboking said:

If you press Alt + S you'll activate screenshot mode, which while active, allows you to zoom out much further than normal.

Ooh, thanks!  I'd still rather have it as part of the standard UI, but this ability is definitely better than nothing.

While poking around, I also found where I can reassign the WASD keys to arrow keys for normal scrolling too.  Unfortunately, it's buried in a submenu.  They really should push that section out to the main option menu for visibility.  I didn't know.

Speaking of useful mods, I found "Immigrants Reroll" by "echo_ol" in the Steam workshop and have been using it extensively now.  It doesn't allow filtering to particular kinds of things I need, but I've started using it and now find it indispensable.  I still give up on the random number generator and take something I don't need just to make it go away (I think I'd rather have a filter), but... again, much better than nothing.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:54 PM, MellowTigger said:
  1. Improve the care package mechanism.  Either outright give a reroll mechanism, or allow filtering to certain choices (dupes, minerals, organics, liquids, metals, seeds, fauna, etc.)

The duplicant generation settings manager mod (if I've gotten the name correct) allows one to reroll both duplicants and care packages (and more... like starting with one duplicant and changing printing pod interval).

On 3/31/2022 at 6:54 PM, MellowTigger said:

The Skills UI with the dupe and their hat should ALSO show the sweater and allow changing it.

Yes, more dupe customization so we can identify different groups easily.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:54 PM, MellowTigger said:

Let me place custom text onto the map.  OPTIONAL: Maybe make it appear as a constructed sign (like the park sign) but the text always shows on the gui.

I think we could use a whole new overlay for text. There`s just so much you could write about your base you don`t want to forget. Each would be tied to a tile or area and show when hovering over it in regular view.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I think we could use a whole new overlay for text. There`s just so much you could write about your base you don`t want to forget. Each would be tied to a tile or area and show when hovering over it in regular view.

A notepad overlay with blueprint functionality would be wonderful.

Archived