Automation help - Alternate signal over 4 ports

Hi folks

I may need some help on an automation design.

My  goal is to turn On (green/enable) 4 automation ports. But I need to do it alternatively, one after another, and to set a few seconds timer between each change. The timer needs to be the same for each lapse.

- I know that I can do a 4 x Y segments liquid loop (Y being the number of sec between each change) with a single packet and 4 liquid sensors to get the result, but thing is I want it only on background layer, so no building is allowed - that makes me allowing only elements that exclusively stay on automation layer -

So far, the only way I'm thinking about is by using 4 memory gates, by having each one turning on the next one and turning off the previous one. But I feel it might exist an easier way to do so.

Also FYI, each 4 ports will go into the same ribbon, so if there's a way using the signal counter gate for example, it's of course welcomed...

Thanks in advance ;-)

A signal distributor? By cycling the two control inputs, as: A red B red, A red B green, A green B green, A green B red you get green at output 1,2,4 and 3. Assuming permanent green at the distributor input.

Ok, it's not necessarely easier and that gate is bulky, but it's something that does just what you asked while staying in the background.

Edit, I slapped this together to be more clear:

Spoiler

SignalAlternator.thumb.png.21a0eab6d0ee2a953416f77ffefddf2c.png

As you can see it's pretty big and not necessarily elegant! But the large gates are cool. You can make some real abominations with this. :D You can ditch the memory gates and only use filter/buffer timers if you want.

Spoiler

SignalAlternator2.thumb.png.6759643c2f5079358b825aa90a9e5f73.png

@6Havok9 well, thanks ! indeed it does the job, and it's a good idea to use readers to get the signal back into the main computing ! It may cost as much, or even more metal than my actual option, but it fits in a smaller area, which may be good in my situation.

Like me you're using 4 filter gates, it would be cool (only for fun/challenge, let's be clear) to find a way with only one. In that case, you'll have to use the distributor like you did, and a pulse I think.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:06 PM, OxCD said:

it would be cool (only for fun/challenge, let's be clear) to find a way with only one.

My very soul hurts just by reading that and my brain shuts down. Nope.

I slap two buffers, two filters, and concede defeat without fighting.

SignalAlternator3.png.34573f0a6a4938e91fb4bbd51b18611e.png

Left buffer-filter at X seconds, right buffer-filter at X/2 seconds. Green at output 1/2/4/3 as before. No readers, it's not dependant on its own output signal (This makes me uncomfortable, I don't know why. Feels less "controlled"?). Less flexibility, since you can't set different timers for each port (Well, technically you could, it's not fun nor immediate). But if you need equal intervals it just works.

I don't like it tho. I don't know if automation delay can screw this up, and that's no good if it's a critical application.

You're kicking it ahah ^^

I have no time to spend right now trying  to find the "best", well, a "satisfying" way to do that for me, but when I'll come back to my laptop I'll give a new shot too ;-)

Anyway thanks for your brainworks on it. Hope you had fun ^^ and no worry anyways, we already have three designs that answer the need, and metal quantity isn't that critical, so each one is fine :-)

9 hours ago, kbn said:

I couldn't find the topic because it's a very old memory, but I think someone was making something like this.

94233760_.gif.33cc0b3537b3b460df5c7738ebdaac10.gif

Wow !! Nailed it. Really in love with this one, it's brilliant ! Thanks !

@SharraShimada I'm only playing Vanilla gameplay anyway :-) I only use mods for QoL, or correcting bad mechanics, or for decoration (purely optional). I don't use any mod that bring new utility element ;-)

3 hours ago, kbn said:

I couldn't find the topic because it's a very old memory, but I think someone was making something like this.

94233760_.gif.33cc0b3537b3b460df5c7738ebdaac10.gif

Aww, this is so much better.

However, as a fan of Rube Goldberg machines and avid player of TIM3, I say it's TOO much better, and has no failure condition! That's simply unacceptable. Thumbs down!:wilson_incredulous:

(I've not used the signal counter since spaced out launch. I would have never figured this out, unless by mistake!)

Archived