[Suggestion] Vertical Crafting Menu Is Better

11 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

But it also only shows 2 new items/scroll while the current UI shows 7 new items a scroll.

Excellence point. But I got a modification as solution: how about scroll horizontally? In which case, each scroll shows 11 new items. My goal is to spark creative solutions from people rather than "black or white" or "take it or leave it" kinda deal.

it feels like it's trying to find a middle ground between the new menu and the old menu

The original motivation was as simple as disliking the new UI and being unable to like it after trying to adapt in personal experience. I don't have other options since I'm not an artist or game dev or game designer. For those who don't like it, we are essentially forced to accept it... or leave it.

You lack the simplicity and intuitiveness of the current menu

I don't get this part. I simply rearranged everything using the current UI assets. I changed nothing literally, just rearranged it so that I takes less space and use a little more top and bottom space. You can say it lacks familiarity that people get from normal web apps, but all the style and layout should be familiar to non-new users. But I don't see it's the issue of simplicity.

13 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

IM glad my small mock up gave you some inspiration to make a much cleaner version

Yeah, thank you. I've been wanting to create this for a while since beta, but didn't finish it cuz busy and distracted. But I was a little angry seeing your post shot down by majority who didn't wanna explore creative ideas, so I finally decided to finish it up. I'm glad I wasn't alone in having same ideas.

6 hours ago, Maksym.12 said:

image.png.27fd38786bb56eaf22be7c3028002bd6.png:

I really like it.

I'm inspired to think it can be made into a hybrid of item/category. If this row has only 1 item, it displays that only item and can be used as quick craft. If the row has more than 1 item, it's displayed as category which can be expanded to become something like in the image.

3 hours ago, TemporarySolutn said:

Title:
[Suggestion] (Opinion)

:spidercowers:I'm very guilty. 

On 3/30/2022 at 8:56 AM, Mike23Ua said:

So Klei’s priorities should be making it as enjoyable to use as it can be on Console controllers first and KB+Mouse being an after thought

You do realize the game started as a chrome store game with mouse controls?

I don't think Klei should prioritize any set of controls, and that's what I think they are trying to do nowadays.

45 minutes ago, Maksym.12 said:

what do you think of this version? it remains only to add that clicking on the filter opens the menu

image.thumb.png.c982cd9de533c82eadbfd9be66561d91.pngimage.thumb.png.db35e296213e1d946a2bb6669cfe3c26.png

hmm interesting. I am still going to have to get used to how the items are ordered in the square but i think this is probably one of the better adjustments especially being able to have the 1 click craft.  this version would have the same APS as the older one. 
I would like to test it out when i can.  But it looks promising!

7 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

hmm interesting. I am still going to have to get used to how the items are ordered in the square but i think this is probably one of the better adjustments especially being able to have the 1 click craft.  this version would have the same APS as the older one. 
I would like to test it out when i can.  But it looks promising!

You can put "Tabs", it works much better. The downside is that this is a server mod.
And I don't know when I will release this version, because I just don't understand what is responsible for deactivating the filters. when the menu is closed I just can't click. Strange...

3 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

this version really helps build upon older operational habits Which i feel klei should have done if they wanted to keep all users happy

Only if it's optional cause this looks awful.. even worse than old UI

15 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Only if it's optional cause this looks awful.. even worse than old UI

Thats the same thing we thought when they first released the new UI
alot of this thread has been more to upgrading and discussing what we would like and it shows some modders are taking interest.
And besides you don't even need to worry about this because i doubt klei will change what they have set so you get to stay happy. 

With that I'll take your disgust and use it to bump the thread thanks for that :) it helps to get people to see a different perspective.

1 hour ago, Maksym.12 said:

You can put "Tabs", it works much better. The downside is that this is a server mod.
And I don't know when I will release this version, because I just don't understand what is responsible for deactivating the filters. when the menu is closed I just can't click. Strange...

Yeah the server only is the only sad part about tabs.
is it toggle able on the server? So, that way people that want to use it can?
If so it would make it much easier to integrate into public modded servers
so that people that want to use it can and it won't mess with those that don't

But this image you have posted is part of the client crafting tweak mod?

3 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

is it toggle able on the server? So, that way people that want to use it can?

The tabs are just added like a recipe. you can survive 100 days and not even suspect that they are on the server. You need to go to the modified items tab and add the tab you need to the pinning slot

On 4/13/2022 at 7:29 PM, EsaiXD said:

Yeah the server only is the only sad part about tabs.
is it toggle able on the server?

i have good news :P

image.thumb.png.53ca9192ea022bdbd16d11d7fdfc2d46.png

I managed to make a light version of the tabs for the craft menu tweak, there is no way (yet) to craft items since the recipe is not saved, but all the functions of the tabs work as they should. I had to go through such workarounds, brrr to make it all work, but it seems to work as it should

6 hours ago, GodIess said:

i have good news :P

image.thumb.png.53ca9192ea022bdbd16d11d7fdfc2d46.png

I managed to make a light version of the tabs for the craft menu tweak, there is no way (yet) to craft items since the recipe is not saved, but all the functions of the tabs work as they should. I had to go through such workarounds, brrr to make it all work, but it seems to work as it should

Thats great to hear! im actually working on a video about the options you can have for UIS
since i feel like most people don't know about the tweak beyond here.

There are things that klei did great with the UI
But they can definitely do better.
I wanted to use these mods to highlight some more custom stuff they could potentially add  Which would not change at all how the default ui works

My main favorites of your mod really is having the filters quick slotted with the 1 click crafting.  It gives the same feel as the older UI while still using the new interface.  Which is what I really wanted. That quick click click done.

4 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

Thats great to hear! im actually working on a video about the options you can have for UIS
since i feel like most people don't know about the tweak beyond here.

There are things that klei did great with the UI
But they can definitely do better.
I wanted to use these mods to highlight some more custom stuff they could potentially add  Which would not change at all how the default ui works

My main favorites of your mod really is having the filters quick slotted with the 1 click crafting.  It gives the same feel as the older UI while still using the new interface.  Which is what I really wanted. That quick click click done.

with the mod, the creation of an item is to click on the pinned tab and click to create an item if you do not need to select a skin)

I would be very grateful if you made a video review of my two mods so that people better understand the possibilities, because I think the description and gif are not very informative for users

Archived