Rocket exhaust melting everything

How do you guys protect your rocket automation?

i build what i can out of obsidian or insulation in the case of hydrogen pipes but the tiny little automation wire has such little mass even with thermium it is still melting

my next thought was to leave a pool of water to collect the heat but that means any loaders/unloaders will also need to be build under water basically a complete revamp of my entire rocket area which at my main base is 6 platforms and 5 loaders/unloaders wide  pls tell me theres another way 

"Melting temperature" and "overheat temperature" are two different things. For static objects like power or automation wires, you want to use tungsten (3421°C) instead.

Thermium boosts the "overheat temperature" of machines by 900°C, but for static buildings and wiring it's got a melting point of "only" 2676°C. But a thermium sweeper arm will still overheat at 75° + 900° = 975°C.

One thing I do for cooling my astroplex is to have a vent for my base's CO2 exhaust nearby. I'm just venting it to space anyway, might as well let it take some heat with it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hydrogen rocket steam is but it's something like 2700°C. Even the pad and loader attachments will start to heat up eventually, but they also start with an overheat temp of 2000°. As for the pipes and ladders I use obsidian just like you.

One can flood a rocket launch lane with a barrage of gas vents, filling the launch lane with tons of gas ( like carbon dioxide as example ).

image.thumb.png.6f3e489d9794f40944ab6156a506b6e8.pngimage.thumb.png.56ccaf146ad39e236b175d30f79bcef0.png

For Michael Bay special looks, one can also drop 10-200 tiles of water down the launch lane...That can look spectacular on stacked rocket launches :congratulatory:

If one needs to lay wires or whatever near rocket engines, one can either use high temp resistant materials or you can bunker stuff up with insulation tiles, where possible.

Currently I have no rockets in the pipe, its the long lane on the right hand side of the map. My lane currently has no temp shift plates, a mix of fast and slow reacting temp plates prevents temperature spikes and sudden temp increases. So building a thousand plates in a rocket lane is great. BTW it will also make your save file grow, increase memory consumption and make your computer calculate more stuff. :ghost:

If one wants to make thousands of tempshift plates, then its good to have some magma volcanos in the map, to have gigatons of rock for the construction of slow reacting tempshift plates. A gold volcano is great for making gigatons of fast reacting tempshift plates. If plates drop and melt like glue, then build more or change to higher temp resistance tempshift plating.

image.thumb.png.8878dd133ab7a177ac04cf1dd6b96c76.png  babba`s world of tempshift plates

Normally I launch rockets from within a giant steam room, but first I`m working on LOX.

Good luck :p

I put a giant steam chamber underneath my rocket pads. We harvest tons of energy from launches and cool things down at the same time. Wires and automation wires are still made of tungsten, ladders are obsidian, but the rocket port loaders and unloaders are actually made from gold. They don't melt because the heat is absorbed by the steam chamber (and a lot of cobalt temp shift plates).

rocketport1.thumb.png.f2553aa2d3e96105e696621fe0e3b851.png

Archived