Dropped swept objects should still be sweep errands

Sweep hatchling egg to my critter storage facility. Dupe rudely drops egg mid-route because their shift ends. Egg hatches. No, don't eat my precious food!

If a dupe stops a construction errand because of the shift ending, O2, etc, the errand still exists. If it has a high priority it will usually still be finished in fairly soon. Same with every other errand, EXCEPT sweep errands. The object just drops to the ground with no sweep errand attached to it.

This creates a micromanagement burden on time-sensitive items (eggs mainly) where you have to check the dupe's path for the item and re-sweep it. It would be nice if the game simply did this for us automatically and the item kept it's "sweep" attached. However, this would only apply for dropped items if they were originally picked up as sweep errands.

3 hours ago, GuyPerfect said:

lump this with my request for "finish what you're doing idiot" behavior where they won't literally "drop" what they're doing the instant the clock says it's feeding time.

That would affect the game balance of the shift-morale system, but in a sense the yellow-alert already can be used to exploit the downtime.

My sweep idea would only change the micro, as it would be equivalent to the user following the dupes around and clicking sweep whenever they drop something they swept.

There is "Rest for the weary" mod that adds new schedule block "finish what you are doing, don't take new tasks". You might want to check it out. Just be careful, because the game won't be able to load your save if this block is in your schedule and you don't have mod installed

1 hour ago, pether said:

There is "Rest for the weary" mod that adds new schedule block "finish what you are doing, don't take new tasks". You might want to check it out. Just be careful, because the game won't be able to load your save if this block is in your schedule and you don't have mod installed

I wonder how this should be morale-balanced? Maybe let one block count as "break" but more than one not?

Critter eggs, liquefiables, nuclear waste, lots of examples. I play with only QoL mods, but I would love to see this fixed in the base gameplay. It's not a bug per se, but it's pretty dumb behavior. Even if the item gets dropped due to a shift change or whatever, resetting the sweep tag on the dropped debris would be a dramatic improvement.

20 hours ago, meekay said:

Critter eggs, liquefiables, nuclear waste, lots of examples.

The worst are bagged critters. Once they drop one it starts crawling in a random spot (or flying). Sometimes they can even drop a hatch into water. If they let the items keep the sweep errand they should also make the critters keep the wrangle errand.

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

The worst are bagged critters. Once they drop one it starts crawling in a random spot (or flying). Sometimes they can even drop a hatch into water. If they let the items keep the sweep errand they should also make the critters keep the wrangle errand.

Tier list:

S: Bagged critters.

A: Eggs. Extreme-value critter-would-eat such as wort seeds with pacu.

B: Substances that would melt to soggy feet. High-value critter-would-eat such as Berry Sludge with hatch. Perishable food.

C: Substances that off-gas (slime, oxylite, bleach stone, etc) or phase-change without soggy feet concerns (i.e. phosphorite at high temperatures). Low-value critter-would-eat such as igneous rock with hatch.

D: Default tier which includes most items.

F: Items that don't lower decor as debris, such as seeds.

Archived