Cleaning germy water not working?

I was playing on my main save game and was going to clean some germy water by snaking a pipe through a large chlorine filled room and cycling it repeatedly until there were zero germs and then outputting it but the germs aren't going down. I decided that maybe I had a mod conflicting so I turned them all of and started a separate game and tried but it still isn't working. Has anyone experienced this happening? It was recent. I used to set this up in my past games and it always worked just fine. 

21 hours ago, Neotuck said:

if it's in chlorine the germ death rate is the same

I can be wrong. I'm used to decontaminate clean O2 and H2O. But i remember, when designing my decontamination automation, that germ death rate is in fact the same, but PO2 and PH2O has germ inhibition rate, so germs dying off cuz of chlorine is affected by new germs being introduced cuz of inhibition properties. Maybe it was fixed at some point, but i clearly remember that i've tried to automate decontamination of PO2 and gave up on it cuz it's either too slow, or required too much space.

1 hour ago, Lomion said:

I can be wrong. I'm used to decontaminate clean O2 and H2O. But i remember, when designing my decontamination automation, that germ death rate is in fact the same, but PO2 and PH2O has germ inhibition rate, so germs dying off cuz of chlorine is affected by new germs being introduced cuz of inhibition properties. Maybe it was fixed at some point, but i clearly remember that i've tried to automate decontamination of PO2 and gave up on it cuz it's either too slow, or required too much space.

Depends on quantity of germs introduced into the reservoir, if it's a simple bathroom loop you only need 130s to decontaminate

Doesn't need much space ether, about 4x3 is all u need.  Pipe Germ sensor with buffer gate set to 130s opens a horizontal mech door

Here's some screenshots from my current game

20220221223352_1.thumb.jpg.00b76b5769aecbb0d73de45cafef3fce.jpg20220221223412_1.thumb.jpg.a734cccdd49aa6fa232ca7a5488b7274.jpg20220221223418_1.thumb.jpg.fcc0f27984c2aa0d2781e8c87ed478fb.jpg

5 hours ago, meekay said:

By the way, if you're playing with Spaced Out, you can just lock a couple of wild Shine Bugs in the room with the clean water reservoir. They emit enough radiation to sterilize it. Way easier than dealing with Chlorine, IMO.

how many shine bugs would need to be flying near the reservoir to sterilize it at the same rate as chlorine?  I tried it with 4 (starting amount on my colony) and the germ death rate was 80% average

as for the "way easier" claim that is up to interpretation.  You can't capture shines with ranchers so you'll need to transport the eggs which is laid once every 25 cycles.  Also you'll need to trap them with a water lock or they will get glum due to the tight space

14 hours ago, Neotuck said:

how many shine bugs would need to be flying near the reservoir to sterilize it at the same rate as chlorine?  I tried it with 4 (starting amount on my colony) and the germ death rate was 80% average

The germ killing rate with radiation depends on the number of germs. It kills them faster when there is a smaller amount. For i think around 20-40,000 germs, one shinebug is enough to match chlorine. As most of the time is spent at the lower germ numbers, probably that means one shinebug is pretty similar to chlorine efficiency in most cases.

14 hours ago, Neotuck said:

You can't capture shines with ranchers

You can if you use "auto-wrangle" on a critter drop-off. They will whistle at it until it flies over and wrangle it. They won't capture babies this way, but it's quicker than waiting for eggs.

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

can the effect stack

yes it seems so. I also checked using multiple bugs and it did increase the decontamination rate, but i'm not sure of the exact formula, as it didn't seem linear. But you can see both chlorine and radiation effects as separate stacking germ death rates when you select the liquid and go to the "germs" tab.

1 minute ago, Yobbo said:

yes it seems so. I also checked using multiple bugs and it did increase the decontamination rate, but i'm not sure of the exact formula, as it didn't seem linear. But you can see both chlorine and radiation effects as separate germ death rates.

good to know

I've been using a standard chlorine decontamination for bathroom loops and had to use buffers set to 130s.  The time has limited how many schedules I can use for one bathroom so if I can reduce the time with shine bugs I can have more dupes without building more bathrooms

When I played around with it if you can get bugs as close to bottom/right or left? tile of reservoir then 5-6 of them will be enough to have about 1 cycle cleaning time. Not sure if adding more will make it faster didn't try that far.

I don't play the numbers as much as you hardcore folks. :D. I just find experimentally that having two bugs in my 16x4 water handling room is enough to keep the clean water reservoir sterile, at least on the default difficulty level. Sterile enough that I can even dump recycled pee or slime back into my irrigation supply when all my geysers go dormant and I have a drought.

And yeah, wrangling live ones is a pain but I either just wait for an egg or use a phosphorite lure, and then I'm good forever.

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 4.12.41 PM.png

Archived