Woodie QoL changes

So its been 3 years since the Woodie character update came out. Jeez how time flies by. Its safe to address that Woodie is not everyone's cup of tea for sure due to his nature of being an early game character. Now, i myself like Woodie a lot, have been for a long time a Woodie fan since the early days of DS beta back in the "strange new powers" Update. And i was quite a big fan of the Woodie rework despite all the backlash about it. Does it mean it was perfect? no, but it's impossible to meet the standards of everyone and for the time being the changes was good. But DST is evolving rapidly and the game changes a lot, and has changed a lot since and as of now Woodie feels kind of lacking. The ideas are there but most of the werepowers doesn't feel very rewarding to use in the long run. So i think its fair after a good number of years he could use a bit of QoL changes. right? So-

(Btw these will most likely be easy changes to Woodie and not an entire Woodie rework 2: electric boogaloo full of new powers kind of thread.)

Moose:

Let's just get the biggest over with. Moose: Moose is a great idea but the problem is, despite its very low cost it doesn't feel very worth to use it. obviously, it can't be used in every scenario realistically like in raid boss fights due to the inability to heal, use certain items (panflute etc.) buuut while it's supposed to be a hard hitting tank its merely outclassed by just using a regular hambat (despite doing the same dmg), a cane and a football helmet, all items which are pretty easy to get later on, making moose kind of an obsolete choice So, here's my proposal to Moose:

- Make its speed slightly faster in walking speed. Not to outclass beaver but maybe normal speed considering when people fight they always use some form of speed item so to compensate for that give it normal walking speed, this will not affect charge speed.

-Have the dps bigger than a hambat, but lower than a dark sword- in around the middle between the 2. around.. 63-65 dmg (darks sword does 68).
Bonus: on top of that charge attack does exactly dark sword dmg or slightly higher

-Hp upscaling.I think it'd make sense if moose hp would upscale up to 200. All were-forms have 150 hp just like regular Woodie but it kind of makes him a very bad tank, and with the inability to heal it gets even worse so i think its fair his hp would scale up as moose. (in addition to that beaver would still keep 150 hp and goose would only have 100hp cause its small and not meant to fight, though this does complicate the dmg taken by the idols themselves. i suppose it will only affect human form after using the werecurse)

-Lower the drain before moose meter considerably decreases outside of fighting. (Obviously it will still go down at considerable speed if you aren't fighting after an extend period of time) This will make it so you don't feel like a ticking time bomb to try and fight something after being done or charging away from something so you feel like you can go back fighting something without losing a chunk of your meter.

I think all these changes are fair to moose in the long run. With the inability to heal and being stuck in a wereform its already a big penalty on its own, so with better speed, better dps, more hp it will make him a better choice in most cases. obviously this is not to make him outshine other methods cause it won't, but it'll help him establish a spot and as a reason to use moose in the first place. 

Beaver:
Beaver is an odd case due to how it works. It's one the worst efficient ways of getting wood due to the nature of being stuck in wereform with no way of collecting the wood you gnaw down. Until after you're done being beaver and you use a whole day collecting up everything. I think you see where i'm going with this-
On that note, i do like where Beaver is rn despite this predicament. The problem is most of the things i want to suggest is probably more work than just a few changes here and there, but let's just get on with it-

-Beaver should be able to pick up things. Obviously not everything but wood, twigs, grass, (and the plantable resources as well you gnaw down), this would obviously slow down the weremeter when doing so. this will make it at least slightly better to play as beaver instead of just going ham with lucy for a few min with the same result but everything is already picked. Now, this would need a new animation for picking up things which is probably the hardest part about this change (and as i said i try to make most of these changes to a realistic proportion)

faster gnawing speed. since the QoL where chopping has been increased significantly Lucy feels much better of a choice when it comes to chopping rather than using beaver.

This is honestly more of a pet peeve of mine but-
-Make Beavers moustache orange. I was a bit sad when i saw his cinematic trailer the moustache was orange, then in-game it was still the same texture.
(also the texture of beaver feels very out-of-place compared to the lovely color palette of moose and goose but- again pet peeve mine. it annoys me more than it should. I wouldn't mind a revisit wink wink nudge nudge.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cc2e92f0ccf1d9c5a64fb09862882d60.png

image.png.9625f481e56898eaeb2326d2a54c8c8d.png

There isn't much to be said about Beaver. due to how it works it will never be in the crowd of the maxwell choppers, or bearger but these changes should give it that small pow to make it better. 

Goose: 

This is going to be a short one cause goose is actually in a fine spot. 
The only thing i would change is-

-Goose is able to traverse through sinkholes. Since its the explorer perk it only make sense to make it able to traverse through sinkholes to not slow you down. (and i also totally didn't get killed this way due to my sanity being low, having 2 terrorbeaks on me and couldn't escape them.)

Alter event: 

So ever since Eye of the Storm, Woodie has had a terrible downfall within his full moon curse. He struggles the most out of all people when you start up this event. Being stuck in wereform is such a detrimental situation when you want to do the wagstaff moonstorms, and or wanting to defeat Celestial champion. He feels very left out. Sure you can just swap to a different character via the celestial portal but it feels like such a copout situation, especially when you really like the character y'know? He's practically unplayable.  He needs something that can stop him from transforming during the event. I'm not quite sure how though i have some ideas. though most of these doesn't make sense in terms of his lore but some chains gotta get broken for this to work.

solution 1 -Woodie does not transform during Alter event whatsoever.

solution 2 -He has some form of item that keeps his curses at bay (like Wilba yes) like a.. silver maple leaf item (not a necklace) in lore it could be perhaps Wicker and him (like the idols) together helped making this item to control his curses better. This does contradict to one of his only downsides he has of being transformed on a full moon. Like Wilba's necklace it would give you a huge sanity drain. (although this downside is useless later on at Alter's event but it would definitely help him later on.)

Lucy:
What was pretty sad to see in Woodie's rework was Lucy kind of got left out a bit. no new quotes, or anything to make her feel more alive. That's pretty all i want for her, just some fun quotes about her, Woodie and small remarks on other characters. So-

-New quotes

It always kinda annoyed me in the cinematic Lucy was the one who destroyed the treeguard, all the powers were useless against it, until Woodie used Lucy as a weapon. But in-game there is no upside to trying to kill treeguards with Lucy you might as well use your hand. So a good dmg boost to treeguards would do wonders for her

And that about does it i think. Again, none of these changes are bound to make it in the game But i hope Klei can revisit Woodie for some QoL changes since there are still many who likes him and wants him to be just a bit better. Even if it's just some of these i would be more than pleased <3

If anyone is willing to put some of their own spins on these changes and or want to help figuring some of the more glaring problems about Woodie i will be more than happy to discuss about it.

2 hours ago, PunkShark said:

-Have the dps bigger than a hambat, but lower than a dark sword- in around the middle between the 2. around.. 63-65 dmg (darks sword does 68).
Bonus: on top of that charge attack does exactly dark sword dmg or slightly higher

-Hp upscaling.I think it'd make sense if moose hp would upscale up to 200. All were-forms have 150 hp just like regular Woodie but it kind of makes him a very bad tank, and with the inability to heal it gets even worse so i think its fair his hp would scale up as moose. (in addition to that beaver would still keep 150 hp and goose would only have 100hp cause its small and not meant to fight, though this does complicate the dmg taken by the idols themselves. i suppose it will only affect human form after using the werecurse)

i like these 2 suggestions but i would suggest that he should have some kind of stunlock resistance (like how works beekeeper hats vs bees) since he is suppose to be used against hordes of enemies but these can stunlock to death quite easy if you dont time the atacks perfectly

2 hours ago, PunkShark said:

solution 2 -He has some form of item that keeps his curses at bay (like Wilba yes) like a.. silver maple leaf item (not a necklace) in lore it could be perhaps Wicker and him (like the idols) together helped making this item to control his curses better. This does contradict to one of his only downsides he has of being transformed on a full moon. Like Wilba's necklace it would give you a huge sanity drain. (although this downside is useless later on at Alter's event but it would definitely help him later on.)

i like this. Since nf is suppose to be a opposite force he should be safe by wearing some kind of new item based on nightmere magic

On 2/4/2022 at 5:34 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i like these 2 suggestions but i would suggest that he should have some kind of stunlock resistance (like how works beekeeper hats vs bees) since he is suppose to be used against hordes of enemies but these can stunlock to death quite easy if you dont time the atacks perfectly

i like this. Since nf is suppose to be a opposite force he should be safe by wearing some kind of new item based on nightmere magic

I feel like it'd be too much for stunlock resistance. that's kind of why the charge attack exists which can go horribly wrong if you don't know what you're doing. 

I was thinking it was going to be a lunar related silver item since, the moon is the main source of transformation. But NF could work as well i suppose. 

Archived