Let Torch Be Inserted In Ground And Stand Providing Light

I'm inspired by this week's twitch drop's skin.

Give it a right-click action for this.

Give it a long animation as balance

Give different length of animation for different turf, like grass turf, short animation, forest turf, longer, rocky turf or ruin turf, impossible

Allow to show off the torch skins.

Allow you to create birthday candles on the ground.

Edit: Allow you to delete extra torches in the server super easy, and pretty.

Just thought about your idea- I like it, but I had a few more ideas.

This could be an entirely new kind of torch, a bit more expensive, and maybe even make it refuelable!

It'd use the alchemy engine, maybe 3 sticks instead of two, two ropes... And some light bulbs, why not. We could even make the lightbulbs be what refuels it!

At that point we could call it a Lantern, I think it'd be pretty worthwhile to work on and see this in the game.

In all seriousness, I can't believe we got another torch skin... Possibly one of the worst items to receive yet another skin

12 hours ago, Well-met said:

they dont last long enough for this to be worthwhile

I was thinking the exact same thing at first, but then I thought it would be useful for early game to continue working in darkness before you get a lantern. At the very least it might be nice just to have placing it as an option.

7 hours ago, Auth said:

This could be an entirely new kind of torch, a bit more expensive, and maybe even make it refuelable!

It'd use the alchemy engine, maybe 3 sticks instead of two, two ropes... And some light bulbs, why not. We could even make the lightbulbs be what refuels it!

Sounds great in concept, but wouldn't that conflict with the Mushlight/Glowcap? Give it a short duration and you're better off with a firepit, but give it a long duration and this would be better than either of those even with a reduced radius.

22 hours ago, Auth said:

This could be an entirely new kind of torch

From game design point of view, it's conflict to the current system. This kinda torches have too much overlap with firepit, mushlight, and night light, and pig torch. It's not unique enough to be a new item, especially compared to fire pit because this kinda torch is basically fire pit.

But it can be a good idea for mods.

OP I get where your head and heart is at, but between lanterns, mushlights (and the few other stationary lighting options) this is far too conflicting, honestly.

The only suggestion I'd have is that torches will constantly burn like you're holding them, even if you drop them... but they'd burn things that are too close and flammable. The only way to save the durability would be in your inventory or a chest essentially. It would throw returning players for a loop I'm sure lol

@Bones Junior

what sets torches apart is their massive disadvantage. Disadvantages include:

- Short life span (2 to 3 ticks out of 24? ticks a day), 

- Tiny radius

- unrefillable (unlike stationary mushlight or stationary lantern, which you can add stuff to them)

I forgot add one more advantage: for servers that have lots of redundant torches, right click placing them on the ground is a very nice way to delete them (with sparks of light)

On 1/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, Well-met said:

they dont last long enough for this to be worthwhile

That's exactly why it's balanced, cuz its not overpowered, but only very convenient in very few specific scenarios. I don't think overpowered torch is a good idea.

Archived