I kept going as some suggested before. I am having many issues. starting planetoid was frozen core swamp. Running into power issues, plug slug room for hydrogen power plant and wires when the slugs sleep. Limited water, clean water. No water vents, one natural gas vent and rest are volcanos (minor and 3 metal). Trying to start space radiation for radbolts but that is super slow. I have safe area but does 104 rad per cycle but charging at 10 rads per cycle. With power issues keep losing the charge, solar would be nice but at this point very difficult for research. 

Now the planetoid that I can teleport to is even harder than the main. It is very cold with lava core (think it is frozen forest). Been trying to set up for water and other stuff. It is about 60% explored but only 4 vents found. Salt water, infected polluted air vent, Co2, and cold slush which keep turning to ice. To hard to grow anything, pips did a lot for seeds. The temp been staying under 50 F to -10 F. There is no coal on the map. The wood making halted from the temp. No other way to make power besides human wheel. My biggest issue is very low oxygen, goes from 24% to 7% or less which makes it hard to have few dupes. No food supply from the cold. No cold wheat seeds. If I had a power source would be easier to do stuff. There is a lot of oxygfens from the pips again making oxygen is slow.

The natural gas vent has polluted water around it close to metal volcano. Like in non dlc, this vent will run out of gas when it sleeps. Same with plug slugs while running out of gas. Only have 12 tons of coal, coal be nice but will run out of coal plus was saving coal to make steel. With no oxygen source had to make suits. 

I'm running metallic swampy start with teleported frozen forest now. I just have proper food and oxygen production in swampy main and teleport them to frozen forest. I plan to use hydrogen vent on frozen forest to heat things up and transfer cold slush geyser polluted water back to main base. Maybe I will use hot water from steel production to heat up frozen forest too. My base is still in a early stage so I'm still working on everything. Hope that can give you some ideas to progress your colony.

what's the temp of your infected polluted air vent? Maybe use it to heat the area around the cool slush?

Also, did you find any glass in the POI to make a solar panel, this maybe give you some backup power. Batteries are a reasonable source of heat.

Metal refinery is a very good heat source, dunno if you can make one yet.

Use the magma core to heat your water.  Make a small vacuum area so you can safely dig down to the magma.  Build an obsidian tile, then a horizontal mechanized air lock (steel if you have it, but iron ore is also fine) automation wire (something that won't melt) up 2 tiles to a thermo sensor, then 2 granite or igneous tiles above the air lock.  Now you've got a temperature regulator that can extract heat from the magma and you'll have 20C water to use for several hundred cycles.  

If you don't have those things researched, just cowboy it up, dig down to the magma, throw in 1 obsidian tile, and start dumping water there.  Some scaldings will happen (have triage cots at the ready), but you'll have useable water.  It's best to build a column of 3-4 obsidian tiles (with abyssalite or insulated tiles on the side).  That extracts the heat in a slower, more controlled fashion.

For the frozen forest, I stopped at 500 F, the next block if I break it will be 2500 F. For the temp at the 500 F block, so far it moved up only 2 titles over 10 cycles. Over 100 cycles.

I finally got some glass to print up. Still need the research for the tech. Now with radiation from space, I would like to increase my rad bolt making via space but afraid with no suits and not safe levels, I have shiny bug but no food for it to eat. The cold plants are too dangerous to get closed to without suits now as they are hazard to health. Would like to do telescope like used in classic but fear, would take too much space radiation.

Radiation is throwing me for a loop. I am careful here but little confused about it. Used to Fallout series and radiation affects.

The frozen forest I explored more, only 5 vents I found....Co2,  inflected polluted air, cool slush, salt water, and chlorine (has title open to space vacuum. Need to warm up area so the trees to grow then I can do wood power until I get solar. The polluted water made polluted air to breath.

Starter base, broke down and put a coal plant for more stable power. Working on natural gas in a big enough area carving out. Food is stable here. Just annoyed with like 5 days to recharge the teleporter. which makes it hard to work on the frozen forest.

Starter base metals/ore...cobalt and gold....metal volcanoes...2 gold, 1 aluminum, and 1 cobalt......under 15 tons of coal (using for power)

Frozen forest ore is iron and aluminum 

1 hour ago, Silverspeedy said:

Would like to do telescope like used in classic but fear, would take too much space radiation.

DLC telescope can be used inside Rocket. Traditional telescope from base game seems to shelter the radiation when using. I believe they won't take too much radiation there.

1 hour ago, Silverspeedy said:

Just annoyed with like 5 days to recharge the teleporter. which makes it hard to work on the frozen forest.

You can use a CO2 rocket to send more dupes in one trip. Since you can use a teleporter to frozen forest you can build rocket platforms on both asteroids. CO2 rocket should make the trip in around one cycle.

I found that storing food in frozen forest is relatively easy since you just put food in a CO2 pit and it will get deep frozen. Dupes will only get Hypothermia there and it won't kill them. I'm using warm water from steel production to keep my base warm. Once you know how to deal with it, it won't be that hard I believe.

Few things happen since last help. I move the tile closer to lava on frozen forest...forgot about the water/steam to crack anything. Manage to put a door in before filling everything with steam. That pocket of lava is now solid rock from the water/steam. Trying to warm up that way failed. Trying to use space heater to warm another part so bathroom pipes stop freezing but feel I cannot get the area over 42 F.

For the swamp world. Did get 1 printed thing of glass for solar panel. When I built the solar panel, for some reason not getting over 220w. I had a few stuff higher by 1 title but nothing blocking it above. Only thing above it is puffets and they are close to no build area, I can barely see it. The solar panel is getting for sunlight. I am 75kg off my second solar panel. Not sure if I have to worry about meteors if I have to explore space more or if it worth putting bunker title or door.

Steel is had to do while plastic is impossible to do. 

For rocket parts, I cannot even tell what mats to use after I research them...guess I need a platform before seeing what I need. Like the CO2 engine, does not show under rocket tab. Some upper parts are shown but no engines, very limited shown.

Around 170+ cycles. With only 12 dupes. Food is stabile while water and air is all over the board. 

You have a swamp world, and want warm water on the ice planet.

So, take some slime and import the slime to the frozen forest.  Clean in chlorine first if you can, but if not possible, oh well... slimelung is not likely deadly!  Refine the slime into algae using an alage distiller, and you get 86 F polluted water from the algae distiller (make sure to always use inuslated liquid pipes or travel a very short distance with the water).  Instead of immediately purifying the polluted water, it's probably best to heat it in a metal refinery (any metal up to and including steel can get made) and then dumped on ice or polluted ice for more water (insulated tiles around the ice might help).  Or just pump in water into a metal refinery and dump that on ice.

Ice can also get melted by putting it into a vacuum, and then repeatedly building tiles or other buildings around it, since buildings have a fixed starting temperature which is about 20 F above the freezing point of water.

A metal refinery can also get used to heat pollluted water coming from a cool slush geyser, given that the wall falls into a completely insulated room which doesn't have debris around.

A liquid tepidizer can get used to heat water once you have enough to cover the tepidizer.  Then the water might get dumped onto ice.

Build a rocket platform.  Then you can build the rest of the rocket parts once you have the technology.  Power will need some research for a solar panel on the rocket.  Assuming you have no uranium ore, which is simpler to use for radbolts, since the manual radbolt generator doesn't require any power, aren't there wheezeworts somewhere on the frozen forest asteroid?

If you can make 50 steel, which is half of a refinery run, the natural gas from your natural gas geyser might also get used for heating with insulated gas pipes pumping it around.

3 hours ago, Silverspeedy said:

When I built the solar panel, for some reason not getting over 220w. I had a few stuff higher by 1 title but nothing blocking it above. Only thing above it is puffets and they are close to no build area, I can barely see it. The solar panel is getting for sunlight. I am 75kg off my second solar panel. Not sure if I have to worry about meteors if I have to explore space more or if it worth putting bunker title or door.

Sunlight is vary on each asteroid. Solar panels won't get full efficiency among all DLC starts. There are only a few asteroids have meteors so no bunker tiles or doors are required in starting asteroids.

3 hours ago, Silverspeedy said:

CO2 engine, does not show under rocket tab. Some upper parts are shown but no engines, very limited shown.

The rocket engines and modules are now in rocket platform menu. You need to first build a platform to see them.

I trying to fix the problems at arise on the frozen forest. I did not get an eye on that steam which that area is going out of control. It was by the sending out teleport area for water and items. The in game obs titles are over 300 F and rising. Had some rust pockets that really increasing the heat. I manage to put insulted tile in at unmined rust at 600 F+ after few cycles it was over 700F +. The steam below is about 1100F. The steam around the teleporter is 290F to 320F. Trying to plug with insulted titles but almost killing my dupes. I was using those areas as Co2 dumps and to grow nosh beans. 

Glad I thought ahead to stop the heat from moving. Areas that were cold, I put in insulated titles just in case the heat try to move. The titles were sandstone not obsidian like I thought. The titles I talked about before are now over 900 F. The steam in the area cools a bit to 750 F then starts to heat up to 1100 at the same time anything beside abyaslite  is also heating up. Even the random chuck of obsidian that was once deep freeze cold is now sitting at 500+ F. Using the abyasite with insulated tiles to stop any heat moving and those tiles are sitting at 114 F. The teleporter area is slowly cool down, was over 200F and now 120F with random rock at 150 F (was over 200 F).

The frozen forest bit more annoying with solar panels...seem a bit lower in power than the starter swamp map.

Huh.  I'd love to see a screenshot.  I'm playing the same start (swamp - frozen core, frozen forest)

Here's what mine looks like.  Bit of a mess that I haven't cleaned up yet, my attention is on the 3rd asteroid where I'm dealing with oil and plastic. There's an iron ore mechanized door controlling temp.  I dug down to the abyssalite, covered it with some insulated tiles.  Built the automation, then diagonally built the obsidian tile in contact with the magma.  Built my metal tiles on top, removed 2 insulated tiles, and put in the mechanized airlock, which my dupes somehow built through the metal tiles.  At first, the cool slush geyser was dripping straight onto the bottom, but now it's running through the metal refinery to make steel (and getting a lot of heat in the process).

Now I've got a water loop heating select areas of the asteroid. Pips are busy planting trees and reeds.  I've got 2 chlorine vents, should get a saltvine farm going.

The solar output on both asteroids should be the same (max 30,000 lux).

frozenforest.png

frozenforest2.png

Here is the heat mess I tried to control... Hopefully does not melt the tiles. The heat is moving in that area. The teleporter area is slowly cooling down. The orange on the right side will be turning red as the heat is moving. The cold plant became a seed from the heat. Any frozen brine or ice is becoming steam. That pocket below the ladder was lava but now solid rock from steam/water. The rust you see the temp is right under the insulated title. Igneous rock insulated tiles. I can switch to obsidian but it will push that super hot rust in the teleport area. 

Oxygen not including heat mess.png

Archived