Indepth Ecosystem

Well, even if I'm currently hiding some not-so-guilty secrets about this game(which I will eventually unveil, trust me), I thought of an intuitive yet complex way to set up a more dynamic and indepth ecosistem in Don't Starve.

I'm Italian: my English may or may not suck.

schemaw.png

• Pigmen: These hunchy big fellows simply love cute, fluffy and juicy things. Unfortunately, one of them uses to be running around really damn fast.
  • Bunnies: Hopping and leaping around, a rabbit (also known by sciencists as "tendero bunnis") may eventually find a carrot magically stuck in the hardened ground. Once this happens, he shall wait (or be scared away in the process) for another companion to come and help him angle out the orange tuberous; after that, a third bunny will "appear" into the newly dug hole, and they'll be all happy and satisfied.
  • Crows: Crows are often found rasping the very ground, but their house and diner is a berry bush. One berry bush equals one crow: this is what we call convenient! And, since they never completely plunder a bush of his berries, you don't have any reason to exterminate them! Or do you...
  • Beefalos: Their smell is legendary, their meat fabulous and their burning extraordinarily enjoyable(though all they leave, in this case, are their bare ashes). They use to much grass from dawn to sleep, pooping around in a fashionable way. Their steps don't usually spare small and petty plants, burying under the recognizable ground even the stumps of the previously eaten grass.
  • Monsters: They all occupy a precise position in the food chain(a pretty high one too), but, as for now, they don't deserve my attention and respect: they're such mindless pieces of fangy claws...
  • Vegetables & Plants: They spread depending of the biome as animals breed according with their food's availability. Too much vegetation in a single area may turn it (thanks to Zeus, Thor and all the gods of lightning) in a ravishing wasteland. And yeah, Mr Optimus Pine, there's nothing you can do this time around.
  • Weather: From rain to hailstorm, to sandstorm from tornados(?), the sky knows how to devastate your meaningless beloggings.
  • Lightnings: A blessing from above, thundering proofs of your insignificant will, lightings will enlighten the darkest storms and blaze the safest woods.

Edited by Xaphedo
Errata Corrige

Great article and presentation, but don't forget to fix the typo in the tags :p

You should mention in your post that this are just suggestions and most of it ain't in the game. You don't want to confuse your readers.

I cannot disgree: depicts the simply ecosystem we have in Don’t Starve sounds like I meant to show what we actually have in the game right now, when I'm instead suggesting a "new" ecosystem(there actally isn't a proper one, as for now).

My suggestion would be an animal ecosystem like so:

*Bunnies eat carrots/vegitables on the ground/crops in gardens

*Crows eat seeds/vegitables on the ground/crops in gardens

*Beefalo eat grass...maybe berries too

*Tall birds eat berries

*Spiders eat pig men, beefalo, tall birds

*Pig men eat spiders

*Frogs eat fireflies

*Tentacles eat frogs, pig men, and everything else that gets near them...

And I think if beefalo and tall birds have babies that the environment would limit their numbers if they needed to eat in order to avoid starving. So if there are too many beefalo they'll eat all the grass on the island (bad luck for the player too...maybe) and then those that cannot eat will starve and eventually die. The same could be true for tall birds.

Maybe a mob that hunts rabbits during the day, like wolves for example, would also affect how the player hunts.

Great ecosystem there Mobius and with some extra animals and monsters it will really become a living world.

Thanks. It goes without saying that spiders and pig men should eat any meat-based foods that are lying on the ground as well. I mean, spiders already eat monster meat, the little cannibals. This way players won't leave food just lying around on the ground... which is what I do right now when I run out of space inside chests and yet none of the animals are interested.

My suggestion would be an animal ecosystem like so:

*Bunnies eat carrots/vegitables on the ground/crops in gardens

*Crows eat seeds/vegitables on the ground/crops in gardens

*Beefalo eat grass...maybe berries too

*Tall birds eat berries

*Spiders eat pig men, beefalo, tall birds

*Pig men eat spiders

*Frogs eat fireflies

*Tentacles eat frogs, pig men, and everything else that gets near them...

And I think if beefalo and tall birds have babies that the environment would limit their numbers if they needed to eat in order to avoid starving. So if there are too many beefalo they'll eat all the grass on the island (bad luck for the player too...maybe) and then those that cannot eat will starve and eventually die. The same could be true for tall birds.

Maybe a mob that hunts rabbits during the day, like wolves for example, would also affect how the player hunts.

Oh well, there's not just one way to balance an ecosystem out. I didn't take monsters into role just because there may be more of them coming, so I'm waiting for that to extend my suggestion over the dark side of nature.