Suggestion: Wolfgang should be able to self-click to use equipped dumbbells

Pretty self explanatory. If you hover your mouse over mighty Wolfgang, he will get highlighted but the only option is to toss the dumbbell. Please don't turn this suggestion thread into an old Wolfgang-new Wolfgang war zone.

(For those wondering, no, I still like the old Wolfgang much more but as I also said, the new Wolfgang is also a good character. I'm all for improvements from this point on. Rest in peace my mighty boi.)

7 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

Pretty self explanatory. If you hover your mouse over mighty Wolfgang, he will get highlighted but the only option is to toss the dumbbell. Please don't turn this suggestion thread into an old Wolfgang-new Wolfgang war zone.

(For those wondering, no, I still like the old Wolfgang much more but as I also said, the new Wolfgang is also a good character. I'm all for improvements from this point on. Rest in peace my mighty boi.)

I’m all for QoL improvements that don’t increase power but improve flow.  Having to click on the item in the hand slot is a little clunky, but I wonder if there’s a use case for tossing a dumbbell at your feet for the aoe damage.

For Xbox/PlayStation PLEASE let the currently Unbound Left on Dpad button Auto-Equip and start lifting the Dumbell, it is unnecessarily tedious to press RIGHT on Dpad to Equip then scroll through my entire Inventory to my hand slot and THEN Press LEFT on the Dpad to Lift…

Why.. just Why? :(

I would enjoy a way to work the dumbbells from his inventory. 

Say you have a weapon in your hand, you click on the dumbbell in you inventory and he starts pumping, but doesn't actually replace what is in his hands. 

I'm having a lot of stress having to work my way down all the way to his hands to click for him to work out on console. 

This would also let him switch from working out from one dumbbell to another without having to swap them (switching from gold to gem).

On console equip is right on the d-pad, "use" can be left on the d-pad. This also improves the flow in battle with quickly switching to your weapon by simply moving.

5 hours ago, Toros said:

I’m all for QoL improvements that don’t increase power but improve flow.  Having to click on the item in the hand slot is a little clunky, but I wonder if there’s a use case for tossing a dumbbell at your feet for the aoe damage.

tbh throwing the weights, or even attacking with them is kinda novelty.  They take far too much durability off, only give you 1 pump of might gain, and don't really deal much damage.  Its fun, but its not effective.  I thought I'd try to use them as a dodge with dfly, the same way you'd use an ice staff to get a dodge on her, but I couldn't make it work reliably.

30 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

tbh throwing the weights, or even attacking with them is kinda novelty.  They take far too much durability off, only give you 1 pump of might gain, and don't really deal much damage.  Its fun, but its not effective.  I thought I'd try to use them as a dodge with dfly, the same way you'd use an ice staff to get a dodge on her, but I couldn't make it work reliably.

I could see throwing gembells in a theoretical fight where:
a) the fight lasts longer than 6.5 minutes
b) you don't have time to get even a single pump in as part of your dodging time.

Their primary benefit is that they aren't very expensive and do aoe damage.  The problem is that they don't benefit from Wolfgang's damage buff and boomerang/blowdart do.  Boomerang is even cheaper and comes back so you don't need to fetch it, so you get lower aoe damage which is of questionable use.  I've hit two spiders, possible to hit 3 which is higher dps than a boomerang, but are you going to throw a gembell twice to kill 3 spiders?
As a weapon it doesn't really have a niche except when you start with it so you might as well toss it at birds or rabbits for free morsels.

39 minutes ago, Toros said:

Their primary benefit is that they aren't very expensive and do aoe damage.  The problem is that they don't benefit from Wolfgang's damage buff and boomerang/blowdart do.

This is part of what makes them a novelty.  Wolf can 1 hit spiders with a hambat making it very easy to clear out large numbers of spiders without doing all the work it takes to line up 2 throws of a gembell even if you get 4-5 spiders with those two throws.  IF gembells did double their current damage I could see throwing them as niche, but useful - as they would help farm spiders killing all normal spiders you can line up in 1 hit, or elemental hounds which could open up several use cases.

I guess for as cheap as the stone dumbbell is, if you were hunting koalephants early game and hadn't make a boomerang for whatever reason, you could throw it to provoke them - maybe goats too... but this is pretty niche considering you can just farm goats at night, or craft a boomerang, and neither of these activities are really pressing either :\ 

On 12/19/2021 at 12:10 AM, Toros said:

I’m all for QoL improvements that don’t increase power but improve flow.

We might have different opinions on the Wolfgang rework, but I'm glad you are also providing your time and effort to improve the new mechanics of the character. Let's hope that the constructive rework threads stay relevant until the suggestions and issues are addressed by the developers.

26 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

We might have different opinions on the Wolfgang rework, but I'm glad you are also providing your time and effort to improve the new mechanics of the character. Let's hope that the constructive rework threads stay relevant until the suggestions and issues are addressed by the developers.

Thanks!  I saw the removal of his speed and max hp as a necessary evil to be able to give him new and interesting abilities as while speed and health are powerful (speed especially) you can’t buff him from that state or add anything worthwhile without increasing the gap between him and other characters.

I was skeptical of the idea of working out to maintain mighty when it first started being suggested, and in practice I find it as tedious or less tedious than having to stay close to 300 hunger and produce way more food.

What I hope is that new Wolf’s flow and niche can get a boost so he’s not trading mechanical power for wasted time.

The longer I play Wolfgang the more I hate the “standing still to pump dumbells” but at the same time: I love the added challenge of NEEDING to stand still to get Mighty: 

So while Wimpy he should stand still trying to pump them, once in average size he can casually lift them as he walks around, but Twirling them while Mighty would still need him to stand completely still: 

This effectively would mean there’s a little bit of danger in getting out of Wimpy into Normal form, but once in Normal form you can carry the Dumbells and still pump them as you walk about, Twirling them when already Mighty would require standing still: Which means there’s danger involved in topping off your might.

So in Short: Wimpy can’t walk with pumping Dumbells, Average can walk with pumping dumbells, Mighty can’t walk while twirling dumbells in the air.

Also allow Average Wolfgang to throw stone dumbells: They’re like my moms fitness weights and therefore should be easily throwable.

(which also helps those casuals/newer players in getting morsels for Bunny Stew or PK golds)

Also for god sake Klei: Changing Potters Wheels so that their learned permanently by the player like blueprints!!

I feel like this would really fix all the problems I “personally” have in disliking this rework.

Archived