Your starting cluster at Spaced Out release

Spaced Out Cluster on Release  

24 members have voted

1. 1. On what type of cluster will you start once Space Out releases?

• Easy (survival chance likely or better) Classic Cluster
    • Difficult Classic Cluster
    • Easy Space Out Cluster
    • I hope for a difficult Spaced Out Cluster option
    • Easy (likely or moderate) Moonlet Cluster
    • Difficult Moonlet Cluster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/27/21 at 11:39 AM

Since the poll is closed now, we can summarize that most people here prefer a difficult start. Further, 25% of the people who participated in the poll want a difficult Spaced Out cluster option. We won't get that for release, but maybe in one of the following updates.

3 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Since the poll is closed now, we can summarize that most people here prefer a difficult start. Further, 25% of the people who participated in the poll want a difficult Spaced Out cluster option. We won't get that for release, but maybe in one of the following updates.

I would say the current two "hard" cluster options are just that, trying a 2nd time with one of them. Remember it still needs to be possible to do it and, since this is a simulation, that means there is a maximum difficulty beyond which survival becomes random. That is, of course, not good.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, Hokaeru said:

I'd go for a radioactive ocean start all achievements, grow hatches right off the start 

If only I had time :eagerness:

I tried doing carnivore on rad ocean.

It was a blood bath :lol:

ofc i did not achieve it because 400k cal in 100 cycles is really challenging while managing a regular colony

assume you are not doing it just for the achievement but as part of a regular run (i.e. you don't limit yourself to herding critters with all the power diverted to incubators to speed up pen filling, etc) you must be really lucky with printed dupes!

On 12/8/2021 at 12:09 PM, Isidoro said:

I tried doing carnivore on rad ocean.

It was a blood bath :lol:

ofc i did not achieve it because 400k cal in 100 cycles is really challenging while managing a regular colony

I just got my carnivore on rad moonlet, on "just regular hard" (all options one above "normal") plus dupe-only printables and no teleport. If not for the one guaranteed hatch, it would be pretty much impossible, since pips are half meat and reproduce at normal speed. And need live plants, so a "real" atmosphere.

I got it in the 100th cycle, so skin of the teeth. And many dupes starved along the way, most before locavore (which should be renamed "detritivore" because you're eating more dirt than anything else), then some when I wanted to save labor on fertilization.

It was more frustrating than fun. Rad moonlet has low metal, super-sustainable desalination is expensive in dupe time, all plants require fertilization, pip farms require micro to avoid them planting plants other than trees, hydrogen+salt makes everyone walk slowly, sandy terrain requires micromanaging digging, you can't do much to speed things up because 2plants+2critters.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:28 AM, Coolthulhu said:

I just got my carnivore on rad moonlet, on "just regular hard" (all options one above "normal") plus dupe-only printables and no teleport. If not for the one guaranteed hatch, it would be pretty much impossible, since pips are half meat and reproduce at normal speed. And need live plants, so a "real" atmosphere.

I got it in the 100th cycle, so skin of the teeth. And many dupes starved along the way, most before locavore (which should be renamed "detritivore" because you're eating more dirt than anything else), then some when I wanted to save labor on fertilization.

It was more frustrating than fun. Rad moonlet has low metal, super-sustainable desalination is expensive in dupe time, all plants require fertilization, pip farms require micro to avoid them planting plants other than trees, hydrogen+salt makes everyone walk slowly, sandy terrain requires micromanaging digging, you can't do much to speed things up because 2plants+2critters.

I agree, if either the developers would increase the number of cycles required for it or simply make it unlimited time like all other achievements.

I have a whole set of comments about carnivore as I try to learn how to do it properly but still struggle without doing things that are almost cheating with mods that customize the print pod significantly to have it give me anything.

Starting new colony on frozen forest ateroid... This is something different, having no ways to warm your base and build casual liquid locks is very challenging... Also no fiber, no plastic, only renewable food is hatches, because it is too cold for mealwood and all you can do beside that is eat mush bars. Going without care packages taking up to 9 dupes as they appear on printing pod, you will not have time to care about achievements, you will care for merely survival and possibly melting some ice to have a little bit of water for oxygen and food production...

Recommended for those who want challenge.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:54 AM, hbarudi said:

I agree, if either the developers would increase the number of cycles required for it or simply make it unlimited time like all other achievements.

I disagree about making it easier. I got it on hard mode on hardest world, so it's doable.

I like it specifically because it is the only truly challenging achievement in the game.

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

I disagree about making it easier. I got it on hard mode on hardest world, so it's doable.

I like it specifically because it is the only truly challenging achievement in the game.

Totally agree. Had a lot of fun with it and it forced me out of comfort zone as I needed to build my colony completely different than usual. For this achievement you need to think about meat, think like meat, become a meet. This achievement is clearly not for everyone. It's also not designed to be achieved with every colony.

I imagine if the goal is to get carnivore achievement it is best to take max difficulty at least on hunger, and maybe for stress on binge eaters and of course you must build a dedicated colony for that achievement and better to do that not on moonlet cluster, because of low quantity of critters on those.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:16 AM, WhiteWind36 said:

dedicated colony for that achievement

All achievements should be obtainable on all colonies and this is the only one that is timed to fail, all others (few exceptions) can be done at cycle 1000 or more.

2 hours ago, hbarudi said:

All achievements should be obtainable on all colonies and this is the only one that is timed to fail, all others (few exceptions) can be done at cycle 1000 or more.

Of course they should be achievable. But personally I don't think it's a good idea to struggle completing all achievements on one colony. Especially achieving locavore, carnivore and super sustainable in one run it is extremely difficult 'cause they interfere with each other.

Back to the topic - I would choose desolands moonlet cluster for all achievements attempt (could be a problem with locavore) or second choice would be flipped asteroid especially if using teleporter ('cause it leads to desolands) and these two asteroids have maximum hatches and best possible wild plants for food. Although if you are not into "all achievements in one run" thing - I would say frozen forest is most intriguing to play (especially with frozen core trait).

5 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

Of course they should be achievable. But personally I don't think it's a good idea to struggle completing all achievements on one colony. Especially achieving locavore, carnivore and super sustainable in one run it is extremely difficult 'cause they interfere with each other.

Back to the topic - I would choose desolands moonlet cluster for all achievements attempt (could be a problem with locavore) or second choice would be flipped asteroid especially if using teleporter ('cause it leads to desolands) and these two asteroids have maximum hatches and best possible wild plants for food. Although if you are not into "all achievements in one run" thing - I would say frozen forest is most intriguing to play (especially with frozen core trait).

Given one hatch can be enough for carnivore which others have said is true, frozen forest is likely the hardest, because you have to really get on incubating your hatch's eggs, and set your ranches up so that hatches stay warm enough (this part might not be hard), or use the teleporter immediately.  Also, what are you going to feed your hatches on the frozen forest?  Also, arbor trees might not grow in any place, or only in a few places around the printing pod without heating.  Using the teleporter as soon as possible to go to the desolands and ranch some there I would think highly recommended on that moonlet.  Really, on any asteroid, using the teleporter as soon as possible should help for carnivore, since there's more critters closer to turning into meat if/when that's a concern.  Also, since there's so little water on the frozen forest, there's little backup for mush fry, which might not be necessary if hunger need is low enough and numbers get kept low until ranching is almost ready to go.

Super sustainable just comes as a matter of time.  Building a geothermal power plant isn't anything I've seen in a super sustainable run, which means that doing so that early might be unusual.  Also, getting a glass forge and solar panels is only two technologies that require radbolt research.  Using the manual radbolt generator is fine, and reliable if one blocks off one direction where radbolts get reflected, which probably should get done in any run anyways.  Is there any uranium ore on the Frozen Forest, Mettalic Swampy, Flipped, or the Desolands naturally or is that only on Terrania, Folia, and Quagmiris?

Oh, also if no water for research is an issue on the frozen forest, it's paired with the Desolands which has a cool steam vent guaranteed, and hot water works fine and even preferable for research.

8 hours ago, Spoonwood said:

Also, what are you going to feed your hatches on the frozen forest?  Also, arbor trees might not grow in any place, or only in a few places around the printing pod without heating.

I was feeding hatches dirt, and evolved them to sage hatches to feed them PD. Arbor trees won't grow anywhere without proper heating, same with mealwoods, although last ones could be grower near printing pod for 20-30 cycles until it gets too cold if you will not make some heating.

There is plenty of water in frozen forest just all of this is too cold like brine or PW, or in the form of ice. So you must learn to use all the heat available concentrating it on vital points like plant growing and ice melting.

Also electrolyzers for oxygen and hydrogen which can provide sustainable power. There is also a pretty common hydrogen vent, it is not guaranteed, but most likely to appear from other random possible geysers, just like natural gas vent.

Archived