[Poll] Twins of Terror being used as a weapon

[Poll] Twins of Terror being used as a weapon  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Twins are too strong when used as a weapon?

• Yes. It isn't fun when my best option is to let the game play itself.
    • No. There will always be ways to "cheese" bosses if someone really wants to and this is just the latest technique.
    • Well... here's the thing... (elaborate in thread)
  2. 2. Do you think the Twins harm the game in their current state?

• Yes. They throw the balance of the game out of wack!
    • Yes... but after a small bit of tweaking they'll be in a good spot!
    • No. They have their own pros and cons and the game as a whole is unaffected.
    • Well... here's the thing... (elaborate in thread)
  3. 3. Would any of these tweaks be a good solution?

• I think they're good as they are!
    • They should despawn in the presence of a "raid" boss.
    • They should despawn in the presence of a "normal" boss.
    • They should always try to seek out a player as their primary target.
    • They should be full health whenever summoned instead of retaining their previous health.
    • They just need health and damage reduction tweaks.
    • Like some enemies do less damage to players than npcs, the Twins should do less damage to npcs than players.
    • They actually need a buff!
    • I've got my own ideas. (elaborate in thread)
  4. 4. Do you plan to use the Twins as a weapon in your future DST endeavors?

• Yes.
    • No.

I like the option. It's funny getting AIs to murder eachother.
If you can do this sort of thing intentionally in a way that actually helps...you'll probably understand the game mechanics quickly enough that nullifying a boss fight isn't much difference. Sometimes you just want a show instead of a fight.
Same with other boss nullification methods; if you get how aggro works well enough to intentionally get mobs to lose it right next to eachother, other ways of AI manipulation like kiting aren't hard to pick up.

...if you do it accidentally, it's just a cool moment.

Couple things to note- The only time this is ever actually useful is winter when nights are long, otherwise the boss only sticks around for a short time.

To even get the “Twins” which don’t even seem to be available at all on Xbox by the way because I can’t find any option anywhere to put Anything into the Terrarium- you still have to first FIND, Activate, and kill Eye of Terror.

And doing that’s going to require: A night long enough to kill it, decent-ish enough weapons/armor to not die trying, if done in Winter.. decent Warmth supplies to prevent dying of hypothermia.

If a player can accomplish all that: Sure why not let them use this thing as a Boss that can be summoned onto other bosses?

Thats what the games Trailer shows your able to do- and someone also showed off an image of the bosses actual programming meant to target players and other “Epic Mobs” aka-Bosses.

There’s also the fact Klei probably has plans for even more ways to make fighting bosses easier/Harder- there IS a QoL #2 still somewhere yet to even be hinted at.. And in my personal opinion- I think boss fights have unique gameplay to them that makes the content worth playing- but…

It can be a Grind from hell/ too hard, and that ultimately discourages people from even caring to engage with them.

Its content within the game that everyone should be able to enjoy-

And having a boss that is ACTUALLY PROGRAMMED to target and attack other bosses I can use as a personal summon.. helps increase my personal enjoyment of those fights.

Klei added the Terrarium to world Gen options- Turn it OFF if you don’t want to use it ;) 

I'm convinced ppl just complain about anything for this game and want the game tailored to them. What happened to an uncompromising world?

You're supposed to use mobs against eachother , it's encouraged since the game came out. 

Git gud or git out 

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Couple things to note- The only time this is ever actually useful is winter when nights are long, otherwise the boss only sticks around for a short time.

And doing that’s going to require: A night long enough to kill it, decent-ish enough weapons/armor to not die trying, if done in Winter.. decent Warmth supplies to prevent dying of hypothermia.

If a player can accomplish all that: Sure why not let them use this thing as a Boss that can be summoned onto other bosses?

Thats what the games Trailer shows your able to do- and someone also showed off an image of the bosses actual programming meant to target players and other “Epic Mobs” aka-Bosses.

There’s also the fact Klei probably has plans for even more ways to make fighting bosses easier/Harder- there IS a QoL #2 still somewhere yet to even be hinted at.. And in my personal opinion- I think boss fights have unique gameplay to them that makes the content worth playing- but…

It can be a Grind from hell/ too hard, and that ultimately discourages people from even caring to engage with them.

Its content within the game that everyone should be able to enjoy-

And having a boss that is ACTUALLY PROGRAMMED to target and attack other bosses I can use as a personal summon.. helps increase my personal enjoyment of those fights.

Klei added the Terrarium to world Gen options- Turn it OFF if you don’t want to use it ;)

Honestly I disagree with almost your entire post, and i think im going to go step by step and explain my problems with it, just because i think people are mostly just agreeing with eachother back and forth, though admittedly i am in the minority here.

1: every boss that this is useful against can be fought in the winter, the only boss this isn’t immensely useful for is klaus, because the damage isnt worth dealing with his enraged state. and waiting for winter shouldn’t me a metric of difficulty since it happens day 20 and finding the terrarium before day 20 isn’t exactly hard, i also havent ever had to kill the eye of terror before spawning the twins. 

2: armor weapons are the default for fighting anything, and a thermal stone can easily cover heat, and the bosses themselves neither cool you down or destroy structures, set up a couple campfires id you’re really worried about heat. 

3: yes it does attack bearger in the video, no i dont have a problem with it fighting bearger, my problem is the stronger raid bosses like bee queen being fairly neatly stomped. While requiring no real setup. its something that a newbie could do if they got six helmets and some blue mushrooms together, then they’d have access to jellybeans. 

4: they as far as i am aware, have not implied boss fighting is on the QOL to-do list. That is not to say that it isn’t something they may implement, its just not something that i have heard of, so i dont think its right to imply that it will be a focus of the yet to be released QOL update. 

5: i’m going to die on this hill because i believe it completely. If you dont have to the patience or skill to achieve something, you shouldn’t be handed it. Its an optional boss with a cool drop, it should be hard to obtain, and if you arent able to get it, you shouldn’t get it. Not that the boss is particularly hard imho, separate them and whittle them down, its fairly forgiving just resource intensive, even death doesnt hurt your foward progress unless you cant safely revive. I dont think you should be able to throw them at dragonfly repeatedly to kill them easily. Or bee queen, just do it on a short night so they dont kill her and watch the fireworks. 

7. Yeah having a boss to fight your battle for you is pretty entertaining, but win buttons arent fun in the long run. You probably won’t use it for very long because it’ll stop being fun to just summon the eye of terror to instakill deerclops. Because anytime a seasonal boss shows up you could just use the eye of terror, or the twins for bearger. Its an easily available button that WILL get boring and boring isnt a balancing feature.

my point isnt that you can just have a boss or two killed, bearger can do the same, but its easy, the eye of terror could super easily just kill deerclops for a newer player, without it being both twins it’s basically a slightly weaker bearger you can sicc on any minor boss immediately, and the twins can kill what should be endgame bosses, hell the video i saw showed them doing SIGNIFICANT damage, getting past the first two phases of what could easily be argued is THE final boss or at the very least is one of two final bosses. And if they mess the fight up, they can try again at the cost of one nightmare fuel and in the meantime they get a free shield. 

its not that it doesnt make sense logically, i just dont think it makes sense mechanically, boss strong enough to kill most other bosses summoned at a touch and is very likely to aggro onto other bosses. 

its just too strong to be this easy. I think its fine that they kill regular bosses, but you cant get any of the other raid bosses to fight one another, and i consider the twins worthy of the raid boss title, as well they should be considering they win quite a few of those fights easily. last time someone had a raid boss fight another raid boss it was the celestial champion and they removed that. yeah it was FUN watching it chainsaw dragonfly down, but i didnt earn that win, i didnt have to make dragonfly fight deerclops, then wake up bearger who was nearby and have them fight dragonfly next, use a panflute to manage her enrage then finish her off. Bosses fighting stronger bosses has always been a thing, and i’ll never stop using deerclops to kill any treeguares i need killed, but there SHOULD be an upper limit. “Raid” bosses shouldn’t be tricked into fighting eachother. 

also “if you dont like it dont use it” is an age old way of saying “its broken but i like this broken so dont fix it”

It’s not “trick” they're apparently programmed & designed to fight one another.

411A4774-C3CE-4925-AE63-EE888C5E0369.thumb.png.79dbc6a6389aec6c11dc458d12eb9f6b.png

The alternative to this would be to add boss health scaling which may or may not still come in the future.

(personally I like summoning an evil terraria eye to do my bidding for me.. instead of getting boring health adjustment toggles..)

Archived