Eye mask and shield of terror, uses and tips

Ive seen a few people snubbing the mask and shield because of low durability or non-optimal dps, and honestly its kind of annoying.

both of these items are total game changers if you use them right.

for refueling them you need to either use a recipe with a lot of hunger for cheap, meatballs or meaty stew (pls dont debate they both are ok) or decent health restoration (pierogi, froggy bunwich, rabbit stew) or you can go the absolute cheapest option, and go for something dangerous to your health. Red mushrooms restore just as mucu as blue mushrooms, and uncooked monster meat restores a little more than that. Any of these options can easily be used to keep your armor at top shape, I wouldn’t reccomend low restoring high spoilage metas like honey, slamming 10 to restore a football helmets worth of durability isnt efficient. Just go for red caps and use 3 instead.

the eye mask is a reusable football helmet, if its not an extreme situation the mask will beat every other armor piece simply because it’s refuelable, health has always been easier to restore than armor, thats why theres a million pig farm designs, if it was just about the food a lot of people would just hunt as they need it. But with the eye mask, if you’re not going to take more than fifty damage per attack, you might as well have infinite armor. That means no carrying rope and pigskin everywhere, more efficient amassing of pigskin because you arent wasting half of it killing whatever you need to kill. Honestly if you’re not fighting something stronger than deerclops or ruins rushing this helmet has you covered and can be obtained extremely early.

for the more experienced (or prepared) the twin’s isnt that much harder, id honestly just use a panflute or ice staff and fight one at a time, its not cheese its a valid strategy. The shield given is strange but arguably the best weapon available for day to day use. Dont carry a stack of nightmare fuel and living logs, just keep the shield on you and save the fuel for the real threats. Honestly the shield invalidates the need to keep a football helmet on at all times unless you just really didnt see that coming. But you can (probably) survive one suprise hit. If you feel the dps is lackluster then slap on the enlightened crown to boost the damage per hit, worried about durability? Put on bone armor for the ultimate equipment combo. Most attacks wont hurt at all, but even if they do slip by you’re still protected while getting the full benefits of the enlightened crown. 
my point isn’t that they’re crazy strong, the helmet and shield could very easily get broken by carelessness. But they are uniquely useful, and honestly rushing it should be considered in every run, because a permanent football helmet seems worthwhile when you’re spending 3 football helmets and some basic healing for it. 

Without getting too far off topic: don’t forget to mention you can use these bosses as a portable summoning device and make them fight other things in the game. It’s important to mention that because-

Not ONLY can you get this helmet and shield, but you can get them by basically just standing idly by and letting the bosses rip other bosses a new one for you.

Its a “almost completely passive” way of not only lowering the Health of the Eyes of Terror/Whatever boss you summon them into fighting- but of ALSO reaping the loot from that encounter.

So I would say this is a HUGE game changer to DST as a Whole.

for the helmet i just use monster meat, it recovers like +20%

4 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

and honestly rushing it should be considered in every run

rushing the ruins without worry about crafting helmets is a pleasure even if isnt the most noticeable thing

just for how this update adds new choices for early and mid game has become one of my favourite updates. And before this update the only non raid bosses avaraible in early were AG and treeguards

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Without getting too far off topic: don’t forget to mention you can use these bosses as a portable summoning device and make them fight other things in the game. It’s important to mention that because-

Not ONLY can you get this helmet and shield, but you can get them by basically just standing idly by and letting the bosses rip other bosses a new one for you.

Its a “almost completely passive” way of not only lowering the Health of the Eyes of Terror/Whatever boss you summon them into fighting- but of ALSO reaping the loot from that encounter.

So I would say this is a HUGE game changer to DST as a Whole.

I’m not going to lie i hope they shut it down somehow, like make the small eyeballs eat all types of loot except for things the twins themselves will drop, or make them not take damage from any boss, so summoning them is just a bad time. Basically i think its a little too easy to pull off, especially since i play lights out and have so much time to work with.

These items are huge for non-backpack playstyles. Day to day use can save so many slots. Before you had to either carry only one weapon and one armor with the possibility of becoming vulnerable (thul suit durability meant that usually wasn't a problem but still needed periodic replacement) or dedicate a lot of slots to them. Now you can have infinite weapons and infinite armor on just a single slot, with either a single extra slot taken for feeding it food you won't eat or no extra slots at all and just feed it the food you're already eating. Great items, really let you change up the game.

Only 'downside' is they look a little silly and a bit overboard on the eye of cthulhu aesthetic. They're supposed to look like that since they're good recreations of the items in Terraria, but if they come out with a skin to change them to a more serious looking thing I'd be first in line.

5 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

I’m not going to lie i hope they shut it down somehow, like make the small eyeballs eat all types of loot except for things the twins themselves will drop, or make them not take damage from any boss, so summoning them is just a bad time. Basically i think its a little too easy to pull off, especially since i play lights out and have so much time to work with.

Dude don't kill the fun of others if you yourself can't resist using it and feel bad about it... just don't do it yourself. 

24 minutes ago, SaphironX said:

Dude don't kill the fun of others if you yourself can't resist using it and feel bad about it... just don't do it yourself. 

“Kill the fun of others” i am allowed to have an opinion even if it differs from the popular one.

Archived