I'm surely still missing something at late-game

I bit the bullet and made the switch to Spaced Out. 

I've done play-throughs of the classic and cluster options. However, I still get to the point of wondering why go to space. 

I like the extra complexity of maintaining two bases at the ends of teleporters to be able to establish a stable base for my dupes. I even liked the challenge of researching the tech to get a long-range rockets into space. Then I stall. 

I have a stable base across two asteroids with water, power, food and temperature that is OK for the next 1000 cycles. So what am I getting from going to the non-teleporter asteroids and making bases there or visiting the other space objects?

Try one of the harder spaced out starts, the ones with 4 nearby asteroids. I personally really like the radioactive ocean one, since you start on a world with plenty of water, and your teleporter world is great for food production, but in terms of getting mid game resources like steel and reed fiber you will need rockets. The abundance of local destinations makes planet hoping very viable.

the outer asteroids provide familiar "space-age" materials, like super coolant or thermium. Also, Unique challenges like Yobbo stated. Notably, the tree that produces resin (which can then be processed into isoresin) is an absolute monster in terms of literal food consumption, and producing food in abundance to acquire an abundance of isoresin may prove to be an interesting engineering challenge for you.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:48 AM, Yobbo said:

Try making a base on the water planet, or the regolith asteroid, for example.

I can understand regolith asteroid causing difficulties, but why would water one be a challenge?

Temperature is in a comfortable range, water source for plants and oxygen, salt geyser (not sure if it's warrantied) for additional water, salt and sand, a lot of free space. The only two difficulties are range and lack of initial building materials, neither of which are unique to ocean asteroid, and once you set up initial colony it's fully self sustainable.

1 minute ago, AndreyKl said:

I can understand regolith asteroid causing difficulties, but why would water one be a challenge?

Building underwater and preventing flooding is a unique challenge. Not a particularly difficult one, but it can be fun, which is the important thing here.

I still think there's purpose missing from later-game. 

I think it would be satisfying if there was an explorable end-game place to be reached by asteroid hopping. The player having to establish bases on a trail of asteroids to reach this distant location. Maybe make a reward at this location of deployable teleporters so that you can go back and retrofit your various bases with the tech and so create a cohesive super-base.   

39 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I still think there's purpose missing from later-game. 

I think it would be satisfying if there was an explorable end-game place to be reached by asteroid hopping. The player having to establish bases on a trail of asteroids to reach this distant location. Maybe make a reward at this location of deployable teleporters so that you can go back and retrofit your various bases with the tech and so create a cohesive super-base.   

Okay, I can see how that would make you strive towards some kind of goal and you might be challenged along the way and it might be quite enjoyable. Let's say that you do that, then what? This is a one time thing. Like building a monument or sending a rocket through the tear, for example.

I don't know if you see where I am going with this. ONI is a sandbox, you will always reach a point where you need to ask yourself "so, what should I do now?" Some of the times, it is self-imposed by the game and your current colony needs. As you pointed out, once you've got oxygen and food going sustainably, your colony's main needs are pretty much covered. Some other times, others can help (see above suggestions). Most of the times, you are left to answer that on your own. This is why I originally asked you what -you- wanted to get from it. What do you feel like working on in the late game once you are done with the "quest like" objectives? There are a lot of possibilities, but I don't know what feels fun and exciting for you personally. You are the best person to answer that! :-)

In fact you don't have to play to late game... You can invent goals, play styles and achievements on your own, to make game end where you want, or play endless game because you can. This game is limited only by your imagination.

For example you can take up a 'accept every dupe' challenge and late game will be of table. And there is many many more ways to make your game end before you would ask what to do next?...

Archived