Just some Webber tips

Thought I'd share a few 'wish-I'd-known' type intermediate tips I've learned playing Webber in a two player world.

• Don't store your spider army in a commonly loaded area. Just don't. Walling off the decorated den works for a while, but sooner or later a spider will get hurt somewhere, the decorations will fall off, and your companions and pets will get swarmed by angry spiders. For me this ended up being a seasonal occurrence, with the spider flood breaking out every frog rain.
  • Spiders aren't very good against hounds. Your entire army can be frozen by a single ice hound, or set alight by a single fire hound (and lit spiders can set other things alight). They will win eventually, but it will take a long time compared to tooth traps.
  • Speaking of tooth traps, make sure your spider army isn't following you when you seek refuge in the trap field.
  • Dragonfly will kill of all your spiders the moment she enrages. Be ready with the pan flute.
  • Spiders on fire will spread fire to other spiders and do fire-tick damage to you. If you have a large enough spider army, and something sets them alight, you will quickly learn how the mobs in fire farms feel.
  • Webber (and other monster characters) can still feed pigs monster meat to make werepigs. Just dodge their attack, then counter-feed.
  • Build an exterior wall *before* putting the bait in your pig farm.
  • Spider followers lose their allegiance and return to their nests when you leave the caves, but they don't despawn. If your cave base is built around an upward staircase, this can be a lot of fun for your companions.
  • Feeding a wild spider that is already hostile to an ally doesn't suddenly make it friendly. It'll continue trying to murder them with a goofy grin on it's face.

Okay so- spiders can be stored in WintersFeast bundling wraps, Webber can carry them in his inventory (in and out of caves) find a Spider Queen and tame at minimum two nurse spiders- When your low on health smack one of the nurse spiders, this will cause the two of them to fight each other AND provide infinite healing as they fight. Giving heals to you, to themselves, to the other nurse it’s fighting, when your done healing pick up one of the nurse spiders so the second one stops attacking.

You don’t even need to use healing items as Webber anymore unless your in a hurry to heal..

3 or 4 decorated dens with a large enough army living there permanently will lag your server to death if you play with other people, specially during moon storms or frog rains. This method probably works if you play alone, though.

Bundling your specialized spiders is probably better in the long run in coop servers.

6 hours ago, QuQuasar said:
  • Don't store your spider army in a commonly loaded area. Just don't. Walling off the decorated den works for a while, but sooner or later a spider will get hurt somewhere, the decorations will fall off, and your companions and pets will get swarmed by angry spiders. For me this ended up being a seasonal occurrence, with the spider flood breaking out every frog rain.

I agree that placing the army in an unloaded area AND walling them up is the best way to keep the spider army. I usually keep 2 armies nearby Dfly and BQ so that I can consistently farm them boss drops. Plus, an army big enough will make the server lag horribly whenever weathers change. I have like 300 spiders and I sufffer from hellish lag whenever I walk past the 'spider zoo' every snowing or rain.

• Spider followers lose their allegiance and return to their nests when you leave the caves, but they don't despawn. If your cave base is built around an upward staircase, this can be a lot of fun for your companions.
Spoiler

Perhaps you could help me answer this weird thing I discovered right before the Waterlogged update. Did something change how spider followers work when you leave shards?

Feeding a wild spider that is already hostile to an ally doesn't suddenly make it friendly. It'll continue trying to murder them with a goofy grin on it's face.

But you can pick them up or use a Webby Whistle to stop them from attacking.

A couple of tips from me:

• After you tame a few spiders from their dens nearby, whenever you use a Shoo Box, they will try to run back to their respective dens, and if you disconnect + reconnect your world, or unload the area, the spiders will be forcefully despawned. If you want to keep the spiders (aka dissociating them with their dens), a way to do it is to wrap them in bundling wrap then unwrap them. Placing them in your inventory and then disconnecting + reconnecting your world will work as well. I sometimes collect spider warriors to expand my army so I do this trick all the time.
  • Pigskin is a fairly expensive but effective way of gathering spiders when travelling long term in the caves, because of 4 reasons: they stack up to 40 AND never spoil AND they can be used to make armor AND weapons on the fly AND they only take up one inventory slot as opposed to other food types. This might probably be a late-game method though.
  • Spoiler

So, if you think that pigskin is too expensive to farm, think again. If diligent enough, you can get ~100 pigskin per year.

Seems most of the tips I was planning to give have been said so here's some minor ones

-You can stockpile doodles of all the spider types for when you swap character or another Webber joins having a Webber who doesn't know the recipe for the doodle feed it to a spider will teach it to him since it still counts as befriending the types

-Shattered spiders are the fastest spiders so their best to put miner hats on them if you need extra light

•   Also picking up spiders or spiders returning to dens removes their hats

-Spiders caught in traps actually spawn as new spiders detached from dens with max hp meaning the dens will be able to spawn new spiders

-When blowing the whistle for a short time after loyal spiders will not eat anything around them

-A dead player can haunt a tier 3 spider den to spawn queens at a certain rate

-You can sleep in spider dens to warm up

-You can recruit spiders outside of your inventory by feeding a spider inside

-If a spider in your inventory isn't loyal it will become hostile if you harm a spider the moment you drop it unless you feed it(since your carrying it you can't leave it's aggression range)

Archived