Share your designs!  Am I the only purifying water this way?

Image is from current game.  It's a combined water purifier and power plant built around the mighty minor volcano.  Dupe accessible so they can recover the salt and dirt that forms.  Initially, it didn't have power plant and it melted the iron tiles because the boiler wasn't consuming enough heat.  Built it before the colony had any steel or plastic.  We've remodeled it a few times since then.  Cleans 4kg/s nonstop.  It has proven to be remarkably efficient and reliable (once the bugs were worked out).

boiler1.png

Here is mine,  I use a magma dropper (i saw it in @JohnFrancis video), the rest is mine.

It goes to 10 kg/s with no pre heating , no counter flow. It works on 2 stages

Stage 1 - force to work as purifier until a point in my main tank, after that only works as power sourcer

Stage 2 - power source - creates power on demand and clean water.

For now even when it works as power source it cleans a lot of water, my colony uses 3-4 kg/s for oxygen and toilets

If i make counter flow it will clean much more water (now i drop -10C brine and 30C pwater (10kg/s each, then the pressure goes to a point i stop the dumping and only take the steam))

20211026225907_1.thumb.jpg.2ce672dc10c507ce9a794ac60f7466be.jpg

20211026231135_1.thumb.jpg.82703b16c04ff9c41f6581c153bb18bd.jpg20211026231159_1.thumb.jpg.f8ee75bc34bb479d3579ae24c7c5acd9.jpg

I have a magma tank and i plan after a take all energy from the core to put the magma from 2 minor Volcanoes ( for now 1 minor with 560gr/s is more than enough )

the problem with my designs is that it can't take more than 10kg/s steam, the system produces 15 kg/s, so I'm thinking how to split the steam to different systems 

Most of the magic is done with piping and overflow plus a little automation.

I force it 50-60 circles on 100% load, it did not overheat , did not break, it works and you will get all of the salt and dirt from it as soon as it stops injecting water.

If you want i will explain more

Sorry for my English

9 minutes ago, MilesLong4200 said:

Wow this makes a lot of sense... I was about to setup a sieve/desalinator setup for my 2 geysers but this looks like more fun

You will get all the salt without any work from dups and you will get a lot of power (between 650W - 780W/ per turbine)

I have 70-90% of the turbines (it deepens, if you put it to work 24/7 you will get 70%, but this can be changed with few setting in the automation. I inject heat until it reaches 150C - 160C, you just simple set the termo sensor to 200 and you will get 90% on 24/7)

6 minutes ago, DamnLord said:

You will get all the salt without any work from dups and you will get a lot of power (between 650W - 780W/ per turbine)

I have 70-90% of the turbines (it deepens, if you put it to work 24/7 you will get 70%, but this can be changed with few setting in the automation. I inject heat until it reaches 150C - 160C, you just simple set the termo sensor to 200 and you will get 90% on 24/7)

Great thank you! Now I just need to find a volcano lol. I had a nice one on my last map but haven't found any on my latest spaced out terra start

Just now, MilesLong4200 said:

Great thank you! Now I just need to find a volcano lol. I had a nice one on my last map but haven't found any on my latest spaced out terra start

All the other ways to clean water are too energy consuming (and i mean non conventional ways), if you put counter flow you will get more water for the same amount of magma and you will get cooler clean water, so take this from the OP :) i just don't need it in my base

The counterflow is bulky, but it is exceptionally efficient.  I could easily process 10kg/s, but the 1 water source I have only has an average output of just under 3kg/s.  The main reason to counterflow is that the water feeds my berry sludge operations so that means less power consumption elsewhere.  There's only about a 6 degree difference between the incoming and outgoing water. 

4 minutes ago, NewWorldDan said:

The counterflow is bulky, but it is exceptionally efficient.  I could easily process 10kg/s, but the 1 water source I have only has an average output of just under 3kg/s.  The main reason to counterflow is that the water feeds my berry sludge operations so that means less power consumption elsewhere.  There's only about a 6 degree difference between the incoming and outgoing water. 

6 degree in water is very good for such counter flow.

You can stack different water sources (3kg/s pwater + brine 1kg/s plus 1kg/s salt water ... plus your pwater from toilets and showers )

Not sure for the lack of magma tank, you will have to have a big storage tank for clean water in order to have water when the volcano is dormant, i'm not a big fan of using so much power only when you have magma. I can see that you have you turbine hook up with automation so some magma in reserve will help you cut down on other power sources like nat gas or petrol

4 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

its not ready yet but i was planned use the steam vents to transfer  110 steam to turbine rooms

that converts to somewhere 95c water

im not sure yet tho what i todo all that water.

water -> blossem -> tree -> get rich :) (nah with eggs and auto omelet is much easy.

I will have a little time after a few days and will try something maybe we can compare notes after that :)

8 minutes ago, DamnLord said:

water -> blossem -> tree -> get rich :) (nah with eggs and auto omelet is much easy.

I will have a little time after a few days and will try something maybe we can compare notes after that :)

you mean that tree what eat materials?  man i not even used that yet. , lol i not even used rockets yet to travel to other planets.

and how long been dlc out already , lol

Here's mine:

984800329_ScreenShot2021-10-15at22_29_06.thumb.png.a75e67adaf938ca14957e77a45f77685.png

mixed pool pumps into the steam room when pressure gets too low, drips into hot plate in the lower right. steam gets sucked into STs and dumped to the right.

upper ATs are a cooling loop for the steam turbines. lower ATs are coolers for the hot water that came from the STs, loops until water gets below 80F

I've made a few tweaks to this design since this screenshot (still am tweaking). I also need to clean up - I'm only using one of the upper ATs anymore (i had three initially to help speed up cooling the petroleum loop).

The buggy part of this design is PW, when it hits the hot plate it can off-gas and get in the way of the steam turbine. That's what the gas pump on the left is for, but it's very inefficient. Not sure how to solve that yet.

Last night I had an idea for one of my satellite colonies.  They only need around 1kg/s of water, so I made this.  Aquatuner driven, 0 net heat - the aquatuner boils the water and cools the output tank.  At 2kg/s, the Aquatuner runs about 30% (average 360 watts) with polluted water as a coolant.  With supercoolant, that would drop in half.  This, I think, is going to be my reference design going forward.  

2kg.thumb.png.2b2758759e6235139b9e3f61aaa981cf.png

Archived