Idea: genetic databank!

It seems this post of mine on another thread is getting a lot of likes. I'm happy other players think so.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:39 AM, silverbluep said:

Plant mutations are for isoresin and making colonizing other asteroids easier.

What I wish is that once you discover a mutation seed, you could manufacture it. Along with eggs and morphs. Botanical seed analyzer consumes one critter egg/mutated seed to upload it's genetic data to your research data-bank. Then you can print the egg/seed using a bunch of radbolts and some hard to get material. And rad lamps so that we can reserve wheezeworts to industrial solutions.

I think it can be nice to have it's own discussion here.

The problem I saw was; when you tame critters they can go extinct if you stop caring for them. And sometimes you want mutated plant seeds of a certain type but it's a pain to get them consistently. So i suggested some alternative use to the botanical seed analyser (but probably could go into another or a couple other buildings).

You can analyse (one or a number of them, say like 5 of each type/mutation) seeds or eggs for it's genetic material; which costs you that many of eggs/seeds. They unlock recipes to manifacture these eggs/seeds. Manifacturing would be a building that takes power, radbolts and a unique (hard to get) resource related to that thing. So a wheezewort seed would need 100kg of insulation and 100kg of enriched uranium for example. Or a thimble reed seed would need 5 reed fibers and 500kg polluted water. Or an exhuberant sleet wheat seed using 100kg super coolant, 250kg thermium and 1000kg dirt and maybe like 10 orbital databanks. Stuff like that.

This provides a way to make wild populations of critters you tamed, don't fear too much about extinction, ease transfer of critters across planets, make dedicated seed farms without resorting to duplication

What do you think? It lets you not put in effort to sustain novel populations while still giving you access to morphs in the late game.

Yeah, there is a problem, that it is hard to separate mutated seed types, for example use for allergy medication only original bristle blossom seeds and save mutated ones. Or use for pepper bread only not mutated wheat. And it is hard to store sleet wheat mutated seeds as it will spoil. I stored it in fridge, then it got full and i built infinite food storage for mutated wheat using autosweepers and made it closed for dupes. But dupe can still pick up mutated wheat from botanical analyzer before autosweeper and bring it to gas range. So it is easy to lost seeds, and manufacturing them could be a workaround.

We could use a building to purposely mutate seeds into the variant we already analyzed. I think the 5 seed requirement isn`t a good idea. It will take time to get 5 of the type you want and then you can`t plant them. Instead i think the machine should be able tyo convert regular seeds (which are abundant) into the specific mutation you already analyzed. You could set the amount you want to mutate. Would make sense for the machine to use radbolts.

9 minutes ago, TeDeum said:

Yeah, there is a problem, that it is hard to separate mutated seed types,

We need some QoL for managing different seed types. A subcathegory would work but will be a lot of clicking. Maybe a checkbox on the analyzer to allow/disallow using mutated seeds for regular things.

1 hour ago, silverbluep said:

You can analyse (one or a number of them, say like 5 of each type/mutation) seeds or eggs for it's genetic material; which costs you that many of eggs/seeds. They unlock recipes to manifacture these eggs/seeds. Manifacturing would be a building that takes power, radbolts and a unique (hard to get) resource related to that thing.

I believe that basic seed + radbolts is enough cost and much easier to design.

But yes, 100% agreed, we need a building to manufacture biological things. Bio Forge

16 minutes ago, pether said:

I believe that basic seed + radbolts is enough cost and much easier to design.

But yes, 100% agreed, we need a building to manufacture biological things. Bio Forge

Bio Forge sound great - It needs a mixer ! :beguiled:

Archived