Why so accurate ?

(Pardon my bad English)

It seems that in ONI system ,the minimum unit of air amount is 1 microgram ,and the temperature is 10^-6℃.

The small changes of temperature and amount between materials far from players's reach does not lead to a qualitative change. But they really stressed the computer, making mid-late term game FPS considerable low, especially on low configuration computers. Someone may choose to fill their colony with vacuum as much as possible and try not to reveal the places they will never develop. As for me ,my laptop can't support me to hold until that time and sometimes I wish I have a tool to cover those area with the black screen like I never been there.

My suggest is change the minimum amount of air to 1 milligram and temperature to  0.01℃.Cut unnecessary operation (and critters movement,especially multiple shove vole and puft) if possible. I don't want to watch "slides" when I reach the day 500 anymore.

I wonder how much would it change if you could addjust the accuracy of the simulation. For sure it would make vacuuming rooms much faster. As for temperature there seems to be a threshold below which there is no heat transfer (usually hit by adjacent insulated tiles). The game treats microgram tiles the same as kilogram tiles so it doesn`t look like it would change that much other than random tiny chunks of gases moving around which might help with performance. But at worldgen there are none of those as most romms are generated with 2kg/til;e gasses.

Temperature calculations are a different story though. Ideally the worldgen would create stuff at a thermal equlibrium so there is little to no heat transfer around the biomes and biomes are separated by insulated layers of abyssalite. That should reduce the heat transfer to minimum. But would it reduce the calculations? The game still needs to do the same calculation to see if there needs to be heat transfer or not. Reducing the temperature accuracy would help in this regard either as the calculation is the same.

Dupes carrying grams can also lead to humor moments, especially when they started working on the game.

I`ll never forget seeing one dupe picking up 16 grams, starting to carry it and then Stinky comes along and picks up 2 grams and starts overtaking the other dupe. My yaw dropped down, watching the epic Olympic run of carrying GRAMMMS ! I laughed out so loud that my belly hurt. I would be great if those times would come back. Is this actually still possible in the current game ??? With Noodle Arms or so ??? Dupes carrying gram`s :confused::confused::confused:

Spoiler

You picked up 17 grams - You won the weighttlifting contest! :lemo:

On 10/6/2021 at 2:31 PM, Deltic said:

My suggest is change the minimum amount of air to 1 milligram and temperature to  0.01℃.

I suppose game operate with numbers type float. Round this number for 2 numbers or 4 number after zero is much more expensive then just perform  calculations, so, most probably, it would be never changed.

Archived