Convert the Pick/Axe to a Multi-tool

I think the pick/axe should be converted into a multitool geared towards ruins clearing (the axe function can't be used in the ruins, let's be honest). 

It should also have more durability because of the increased functionality and maybe a slight bump in its efficiency for a more noticable change in how fast things are worked on. It shouldn't be glass axe good, but maybe like maybe 2-3 less chops than its current state (I barely notice a difference as is in how fast it breaks stuff).

Here's why I think this: 

1. Adding a hammer functionality frees up a slot when clearing ruins (cause you hammer the junk piles).

2. The pick feature for obviously mining the Thulecite Statues.

3. A shovel feature so that late-game, you can dig the molehills that overrun your ruins at times.

4. Axe feature for legacy sake and for use on the surface.

With this suggestion, I'd say the the tool would go from being a very niche thing that would only normally be taken if it spawned in a labyrinth chest to an incredibly nice QoL tool that would be made on every trip when clearing the ruins and an incredibly nice tool to have when base building.

What do people think?

I really like the idea, though I would prefer a more elaborated Upgrade Quest to earn a Thulian MultiThul that deserves its name. A Top Tier Late Game EDC. Something like:

1A. Golden Pickaxe + Golden Axe + Thulecite = Pick/Axe

1B. Golden Shovel + Golden Hammer + Thulecite = Shovel/Hammer

1C. Golden Pitchfork + Golden Gardening Hoe + Thulecite = Pitchfork/Gardening Hoe

2. 1A + 1B + 1C + 3 (rare) ressources into Ancient Chest in Caves during Nightmare Cycle = Thulian MultiThul

Perks:

All 6 Basic Tools Features (Axe, Pickaxe, Shovel, Hammer, Pitchfork, Gardening Hoe) + Repairable via Thulecite or Nightmare Fuel

8 hours ago, lakhnish said:

I'm surprised people keep suggesting adding the functionality of existing tools. I don't see how this would solve the problem we have currently with how viable this weapon is.

Lets break it down:

Requires 2 thelucite: Firstly, I wouldn't want to use a dark sword to farm nightmare fuel because then I'm not reaping the full benefit of my time spent farming. Same situation applies here, it literally rains flint and stone from the sky so why would I want to waste the materials for a thelucite crown (with construction amulet),magi, or construction amulet to mine more thelucite? Doesn't make sense. I'm also not going to waste a use of my construction amulet when the place gets quickly overran by flint and stone. This applies more so when your ruins have a limited amount of thelucite. We don't need a glorified overzealous basic tool. 

Why I suggest adding a gem slot: I think people are underestimating how this could potentially push this tool to the end game.

Orange gem- What makes Maxwell such a great wood cutter? The fact that he can cut wood, dig it up and pick it up at the same time. What if everyone had a chance to do this? The tool could pick up the wood and the stump at the same time as long as you have used the tool at least once on the resource point. Imagine the potential in the hands of Wurt, Woodie, Warly and Maxwell. A free shovel shadow and picking up the items for you.

Red Gem- What is the one draw of the suncaller staff? That once you place a dwarf star it cannot be moved. We have seen this functionality with the obsidian axe and how you can stay warm indefinitely as long as you stop to chop every so often. You also get to keep any wood you chopped instead of using it to craft a campfire. Only change I would make is that it does not produce light only warmth. Making the warmth an area of effect and you can warm up all your buddies. Pair with warm clothing or a thermal stone and it has a place as an end game tool.

Blue gem- Same as red gem only viable in summer. 

Yellow gem- Three words: Light and Speed. What is something that can be annoying in the mid game even with a suncaller staff? Constant switching between your tool and Walking cane. Having to drop your lantern to mine because you're out of the light radius of your dwarf star/polar star and you're too cheap to cast another one. Say no more fam. With a yellow gem, chopping/mining could increase your speed and provide a light radius monetarily. You can move a fair way out of the radius of your summoned astrological anomaly and zoom around gathering items, just to make back in time before your thermal stone runs out.

Green gem- Maybe you're Maxwell, Warly, Woody and/or Wurt and you don't want faster chopping/mining. Maybe you're content with mediocrity but still want to reap the rewards of your effort. Imagine a tool that nets you more items? What if every tree cut and boulder mined gave you an extra log or rock (or more?)? It will build up pretty fast. Not even bearger could do that.

Purple gem- Easy, enemies wont aggro onto you while you are greedily filling your pockets (makes you semi-invisible, power of shadow and all that). Yes, even nightmares (or not whatever makes the most sense to klei). Just don't run out of statues while surrounded by them... Or while mining that one tall bird fortress or the hound fortress set pieces.

Why are we afraid to make this item actually good. As it is now its a basic tool with barely any extra efficiency (like 20%?). Why cant we see a bigger picture? Lets let this item actually change our lives. Everything else in the ruins already seems to do so.

I'd also change the recipe to require living logs  instead of golden tools. For lore reasons (you're essentially molding a stave or necklace into a tool, thus retaining some effects but only when used) and because having to go out of your way to craft a tool to make another tool is a waste of time and slots AND crafting time. Also it would be more balanced.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:01 AM, lakhnish said:

I think the pick/axe should be converted into a multitool geared towards ruins clearing (the axe function can't be used in the ruins, let's be honest). 

It should also have more durability because of the increased functionality and maybe a slight bump in its efficiency for a more noticable change in how fast things are worked on. It shouldn't be glass axe good, but maybe like maybe 2-3 less chops than its current state (I barely notice a difference as is in how fast it breaks stuff).

Here's why I think this: 

1. Adding a hammer functionality frees up a slot when clearing ruins (cause you hammer the junk piles).

2. The pick feature for obviously mining the Thulecite Statues.

3. A shovel feature so that late-game, you can dig the molehills that overrun your ruins at times.

4. Axe feature for legacy sake and for use on the surface.

With this suggestion, I'd say the the tool would go from being a very niche thing that would only normally be taken if it spawned in a labyrinth chest to an incredibly nice QoL tool that would be made on every trip when clearing the ruins and an incredibly nice tool to have when base building.

What do people think?

I really like this idea! I posted in the QoL update thread some other suggestions, but they were mostly focused on how to make the tool useful as is. I would 100% use this when base building, and I love that we could actually have an improved hammer.

I'd still like to see it be prototyped vs only craftable at APS, but perhaps the utility here is high enough that it would be fine having to go to ruins.

Archived