Colonizing regolith asteroid

Ok, the Regolith asteroid is even more screwed up for me. I finally managed to land, but my dupe keeps digging forever at every Regolith tile. Even when there is none, it cannot build anything because it digs non-existent material forever first. Something is really really broken. Bug filed.

I guess not to many people have made it even down there so far.

Last night I just landed to regolith asteroid for the first time (900+ cycles). It takes luck to find a flat ground to land my rover because too many regolith there.

After land my rover, I can clear out a landing zone for trailblazer/lander. But it not easy to survive here when we can't detect meteor showers in DLC. I guess it may need to plan more ahead before landing.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, Sturm58 said:

Amazing work - how do you feed the dupes?

Thanks. At the beginning I was sending them food from another asteroid through interplanetary launcher (preferably sludge berries as they do not spoil). Later I collected eggs of shove vols (quite plentiful on the asteroid) and made a farm. There is a guide about farming shove vols but basically:

1. They do not have any overcrowded rebuff so you can have as many as you want in a very small room.

2. They have a very wide temperature and pressure range; effectively you can keep them in a steam room where hot regolith is delivered.

3. The walls of the room is to be made of refined metal (gold, cooper, iron, aluminium or steel). Also obsidian from non-metal and abyssalite prevents them from escaping. The door is to be made of steel.  

4. They consume regolith (that what every one feeds with) or iron ore or dirt. They excrete 50% back in a form of tile; hence, you need a robo-miner in the farm (or two to dig each other; I usually have one at the top and in the most cases it was enough).

You can use obsidian thermal tiles at the top of the room and have the steam turbine to produce electricity and have a conveyor to deliver hot regolith into the farm. Do zigzag conveyor rails as shove vols consume regolith amazingly fast.

Also it can be hungry farm (either wild - the population will remain constant and no dupe time or feeding is required or partial feeding with care).

On 9/27/2021 at 12:41 AM, Gurgel said:

Ok, the Regolith asteroid is even more screwed up for me. I finally managed to land, but my dupe keeps digging forever at every Regolith tile. Even when there is none, it cannot build anything because it digs non-existent material forever first. Something is really really broken. Bug filed.

I guess not to many people have made it even down there so far.

yes, some tiles are "broken". I filed the bug report a while ago. It is like vertical lines where you cannot build due to non-stop digging. It did not prevent me to colonize but I could not complete the cover with bunker doors in 3-4 places. 

2 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

yes, some tiles are "broken". I filed the bug report a while ago. It is like vertical lines where you cannot build due to non-stop digging. It did not prevent me to colonize but I could not complete the cover with bunker doors in 3-4 places. 

"Vertical lines" makes a lot of sense. It seems they accumulate over time. Around cycle 8000 it looks like the picture below. Double ladders are where I can still build things, rest was done in sandbox to set up the experiment. Apparently I can still build things in a small area on the left side.

I think I will file a second bug report, this is a lot worse than I thought and obviously not limited to me.

040.thumb.png.29277dd34ea8479b7cdc471f6d3f47f3.png

On 9/20/2021 at 10:08 AM, sakura_sk said:

What is the "infinite source of sand" we have in dlc?

Arbor Tree -> Ethanol Distiller -> Polluted Dirt -> Pokeshells -> Sand

It's a production chain that also produces power, polluted water, and lime, and all the CO2 you could possibly want to feed to slicksters.  If you incorporate a fertilizer synthesizer and farm station, you'll have more resources than you know what to do with.  It's water positive. 

Once I've got access to super coolant (and even before), I boil water, so I don't really need the sand anyway, but the pokeshells are a good source of lime.

5 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Arbor Tree -> Ethanol Distiller -> Polluted Dirt -> Pokeshells -> Sand

It's a production chain that also produces power, polluted water, and lime, and all the CO2 you could possibly want to feed to slicksters.  If you incorporate a fertilizer synthesizer and farm station, you'll have more resources than you know what to do with.  It's water positive. 

Once I've got access to super coolant (and even before), I boil water, so I don't really need the sand anyway, but the pokeshells are a good source of lime.

We can use brine if cool salt slush geyser is in the map.

Brine -> Desalinator -> Salt -> Rock Crusher -> Table Salt + Sand

Btw, I enjoy reading the forum because there are so many creative ideas. :-D

10 hours ago, DolphinWing said:

We can use brine if cool salt slush geyser is in the map.

Brine -> Desalinator -> Salt -> Rock Crusher -> Table Salt + Sand

Or to a lesser degree, the same with Saltwater.

The beauty of Arbor Tree approach is that it scales up, can be done anywhere and should be fully self-contained because it also produces energy and pWater if you burn the ethanol. It has a 2nd path to sand as well, namely composting and then heating up the dirt.

I wanted to try this for a fully self-sufficient colony on the Regolith Asteroid, but it seems I will have to defer that for the moment (see above).

On 9/28/2021 at 3:18 PM, Gurgel said:

"Vertical lines" makes a lot of sense. It seems they accumulate over time. Around cycle 8000 it looks like the picture below. Double ladders are where I can still build things, rest was done in sandbox to set up the experiment. Apparently I can still build things in a small area on the left side.

I think I will file a second bug report, this is a lot worse than I thought and obviously not limited to me.

040.thumb.png.29277dd34ea8479b7cdc471f6d3f47f3.png

I do not think it is time related but it is like if something is falling down and leaving an invisible trace which prevents constructing in this tile and should be dug but nothing there is to dig. I went all way to the bottom and I could build a long pipe from one side to another  (though the vertical lines had limits. But as soon as I broke the cover which held regolith then the vertical lines got extended (with regolith falling) all way down and I could not rebuilt the long pipe in some places. The vertical lines got extended to the whole map from top to bottom.

2 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

I do not think it is time related but it is like if something is falling down and leaving an invisible trace which prevents constructing in this tile and should be dug but nothing there is to dig. I went all way to the bottom and I could build a long pipe from one side to another  (though the vertical lines had limits. But as soon as I broke the cover which held regolith then the vertical lines got extended (with regolith falling) all way down and I could not rebuilt the long pipe in some places. The vertical lines got extended to the whole map from top to bottom.

Time related only in the sense that there is a relatively rare event that will block one vertical line and if you play a long game (like me), all the lines where it can happen are affected, simply by saturation. That there is a stretch on the left that is completely unaffected is interesting though. I suspect something on this map is misconfigured.

I also tried building things on the bottom without removing the covering layers and that does work. When I made the picture I first put in a layer of bunker tiles at the very top in sandbox, and that blocked the effect. Had to try again without.

Archived