why 64 bit version cant use more ram?

im trying these days the new 64 bit version. I had 8gb ram and the game just didnt run properly so checking my task manager i realised that i need more ram but now, with 16gb ram, the game still running at low fps (just a little better than before in certain areas). The 1st time i tried the new ram with dst i had only it opened and i notice that the task manager didnt pass throw 8ram so im guessing the game isnt using the 2nd ram (i have 2x8gb ram)

I dont know if i need to config something or if it has something to do with the fact that the game doesnt allow me to change settings (idk why, i tried many things, i can put the game in full screen thanks to @Slagger).

i hope someone can help me

here is a couple of screenshot i did in the most performance demanding of my world where i barely get 30fps when all the components are on their ~50% of their usage. The only mod i was using was gemcore and pause mod but i diseable them to take the test again and take the screenshots

image.thumb.png.6dfac8aed516ad18ba7418c2768c57d5.png

image.thumb.png.dc82418f0ac086b5f41972362e5583d6.png 

Throwing more memory at a process won't make it perform better unless the memory was the bottleneck by being paged to start with.

DST uses Dx9 for its renderer which is practically OpenGL 2.1, so your biggest bottleneck is going to be the number of nearby entities (draw calls) and the number of unique type entities (texture swaps).  It's a single threaded LUA instance, too, so having a bunch of CPU cores won't really help either.

Since you're playing on a caverns enabled server, you can test if your CPU->GPU bandwidth is the bottleneck by hiding all of the entities your client sees via:

for _,v in pairs(Ents) do v:Hide() end

This will hide all entities at the time and you should see an immediate framerate response.  To get your entities back, rejoin the server.

6 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Throwing more memory at a process won't make it perform better unless the memory was the bottleneck by being paged to start with.

DST uses Dx9 for its renderer which is practically OpenGL 2.1, so your biggest bottleneck is going to be the number of nearby entities (draw calls) and the number of unique type entities (texture swaps).  It's a single threaded LUA instance, too, so having a bunch of CPU cores won't really help either.

Since you're playing on a caverns enabled server, you can test if your CPU->GPU bandwidth is the bottleneck by hiding all of the entities your client sees via:

for _,v in pairs(Ents) do v:Hide() end

This will hide all entities at the time and you should see an immediate framerate response.  To get your entities back, rejoin the server.

i used the command and i got almost 60fps but i dont really understand how to make the game work properly (i dont know much about these things) i though was a ram problem since it was always at +90% with 8ram but this means i just throw to the bin 60€? :_) (ddr3 ram so i wont use it for future computers...)

34 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

you can test if your CPU->GPU bandwidth is the bottleneck

should i overclock the cpu?

20 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

so checking my task manager i realised that i need more ram but now, with 16gb ram,

And

19 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i though was a ram problem since it was always at +90% with 8ram but this means i just throw to the bin 60€?

Looks like your computer was overall starving for RAM and the extra 8GB give it space for working since now you are using 58% (8% over the 8GB mark), so it was not a waste.

20 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

why 64 bit version cant use more ram?

It is using more ram. Is you look at the screenshot you will see that the game is using a more than 4GB, so the 64bits is allowing the game to use more ram (if the game needs to).

7 minutes ago, tsuna87 said:

And

Looks like your computer was overall starving for RAM and the extra 8GB give it space for working since now you are using 58% (8% over the 8GB mark), so it was not a waste.

It is using more ram. Is you look at the screenshot you will see that the game is using a more than 4GB, so the 64bits is allowing the game to use more ram (if the game needs to).

Yes but i was confused by the fact that the game was at 30fps but wasting only 50% of cpu, gpu and ram. Since ram was the component that, when i had 8gb, reach the 90% of used memory i though it should be using more

The game works way better (even in 32bits) since others apps doesnt disturb the performance. I guess in 64bits is working that bad because isnt in the native resolution due to a bug in the settings

Anyways, i will think about buying some fans and overclock a little the cpu (maybe that will work)

i do not know if it's works, but you can try vulkan !

With it (vulkan) maybe you will have one little bit more performance, but i can not guarantee.

Try to install DXVK on your install folder to translate DX calls to vulkan and comeback here to give to us some feedback!

11 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Yes but i was confused by the fact that the game was at 30fps but wasting only 50% of cpu, gpu and ram. Since ram was the component that, when i had 8gb, reach the 90% of used memory i though it should be using more

The game works way better (even in 32bits) since others apps doesnt disturb the performance. I guess in 64bits is working that bad because isnt in the native resolution due to a bug in the settings

Anyways, i will think about buying some fans and overclock a little the cpu (maybe that will work)

So, did you tried ??

I'm curious about the performance

2 minutes ago, quarentenado said:

So, did you tried ??

I'm curious about the performance

not yet. It work well in 32 bits with the new ram, i guess the problem with the 64bits version is due to not being able to play in native resolution due to a bug with the settings

i will tell you if try it

On 8/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i used the command and i got almost 60fps but i dont really understand how to make the game work properly (i dont know much about these things) i though was a ram problem since it was always at +90% with 8ram but this means i just throw to the bin 60€? :_) (ddr3 ram so i wont use it for future computers...)

should i overclock the cpu?

Aye, as I suspected.  The bottleneck you're facing is the throughput of render commands being sent to the GPU.  There's really nothing you can do to change to fix that as that's an engine related thing with the graphics context handling.

Overclocking the CPU wouldn't really do much as it's not hitting 100% utilization to begin with.

As for having 16GB of RAM I'd say that's a nice investment to have anyway as it lets you run multiple things at once or do some fancy stuff in some programs like rendering and editing of videos/etc.

Pushing the DirectX calls into Vulkan could theoretically work if it handled things differently, but I surmise that it's just a wrapper rather than a whole rendering stack made for performance optimizations.

Archived