Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

JosePapp

Small summer tweaks

Recommended Posts

So a lot of people want a full on summer rework, but I'll try to propose something that would drastically improve the season without requiring a lot of work.

•Make cactus immune to wildfires (because it's a desert plant). 

•Make reeds permanently wet (because it's on swamp soil) and immune to wildfires.

• Allow the prototyping of desert and fashion goggles, make oasis fishing yield random blueprints instead.

•Make boats fireproof but still able to catch on fire from structures.

I feel like those few changes alone would go a long way to make summer less tedious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

while these all make the main problems with summer less of a problem (resources going extinct), it doesnt fix the fact that summer just straight up has no worthwhile content. take winterm you have deerclops, mactusk, permanent wetness in the caves, ice, pengulls (which spawn more ice), klaus, and long nights (useful for wendy players and moonstone event farming).

summer on the other hand has antlion (no good drops in single player, whose only use in singleplayer is lowering sanity for free), oaisis fishing (which only gives winters feast lights during wf aka the only reason to fish there), random burning that 1. you can do with a torch and 2. often burns up valuable resources, and cactus flowers.

cactus and reeds should be immune to wildfires, i agree, but summer needs actual content. you could argue that the lazy deserter is fine because "its a multiplayer game", but that just means summer has 3 good things instead of 2. personally, i want to see more weapons in the game, so maybe resources to craft a specific weapon could spawn only during summer, meaning you have a reason to stay on the surface instead of just going into the caves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JosePapp said:

•Make cactus immune to wildfires (because it's a desert plant). 

•Make reeds permanently wet (because it's on swamp soil) and immune to wildfires.

 

2 hours ago, Baark0 said:

cactus and reeds should be immune to wildfires

I don't remember if reeds are but cacti are indeed immune to wildfires as it stands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

 

I don't remember if reeds are but cacti are indeed immune to wildfires as it stands

I assume he is mentioning the ones at Dragonfly Desert. Oasis Desert has sandstorm which prevents wildfires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Baark0 said:

while these all make the main problems with summer less of a problem (resources going extinct), it doesnt fix the fact that summer just straight up has no worthwhile content. take winterm you have deerclops, mactusk, permanent wetness in the caves, ice, pengulls (which spawn more ice), klaus, and long nights (useful for wendy players and moonstone event farming).

summer on the other hand has antlion (no good drops in single player, whose only use in singleplayer is lowering sanity for free), oaisis fishing (which only gives winters feast lights during wf aka the only reason to fish there), random burning that 1. you can do with a torch and 2. often burns up valuable resources, and cactus flowers.

cactus and reeds should be immune to wildfires, i agree, but summer needs actual content. you could argue that the lazy deserter is fine because "its a multiplayer game", but that just means summer has 3 good things instead of 2. personally, i want to see more weapons in the game, so maybe resources to craft a specific weapon could spawn only during summer, meaning you have a reason to stay on the surface instead of just going into the caves.

Thing is, bigger things have been suggested already to no avail, so i tried to suggest things that could be easily done on a qol update before an actual summer rework comes out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Spino43 said:

I assume he is mentioning the ones at Dragonfly Desert. Oasis Desert has sandstorm which prevents wildfires.

all types of cacti are explicitly listed in the code as being "wildfire protected" and won't smolder from wildfires

edit: spiky bushes and reeds are also wildfire protected

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly the only thing I can add to this is.
- Give some interesting counterpart to the walking cane and tam you can get in winter.
- Make wildfires start disabled by default in the config, or offer a much less tedious, late game alternative to the flingomatic. Like an item that makes it "rain" on you during any season but summer, where it just prevents wildfires in a large radius around you. Can work exactly the same like the flingomatic, where items still smolder but get extinguished, as to not use up too many server resources...  Or an infinite flingomatic that doesn't freeze, simply extinguishing smouldering plants rather than full blown fires.

Wildfires really don't tend to kill players that often. They'll just base in the desert to avoid the tedium of constantly refueling flingomatics. Or abuse lureplant burning priority to build significantly less of them. If anything, they're a chore. Overheating or joining in during the middle of summer? Now that's a much more likely and direct threat. Disease was disabled as well, because it's similar levels of. "Ah, guess my base is randomly ruined." Except it had no counter whatsoever. 

That doesn't mean wildfires in generally aren't something that can't be interesting. Hound waves exist to punish anyone unprepared with a fiery death. There can always be some other fiery threat that's more well defined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites