The current dupe radiaiton resistance seems a bit off. We got meds and food increasing resistance and protective suits bu we don`t need any of that. A dupe removes 100 rads/cycle. There are barely any sources that can expose dupes to more than that. Moreso for it to matter a dupe would have to spend his entire cycle near such a source to beat the natural resistance (which can be enhanced). It makes the protective stuff kinda redundant when dupes are so resistant.

Another thing is that most of the time you don`t need too much radiation to power your radbolt collectors. Basically anything above 0 will produce a radbolt eventually. This makes radiation feel like more of a benefit than threat. It becomes useful long before it becomes dangerous and it probably should be the other way around. Currently having 50-100 rads/cycle in one spot is enough to get most research done and power a resource cannon as well. The same amount effectively adds ~10-15 rads/cycle max to dupes working nearby.

I`m not saying we should nerf how efficient radbolt gathering is but rather the resistance should be nerfed. At 1/3rd of the current one dupes will still be ok for the most part. Even at 10 dupes wouldn`t get dangerous doses except astronauts and shinebug ranchers and those would still take multiple cycles to accumulate over 100 rads.

Resistances are not the issue. You can go completely without them and be completely fine, which means nerfing them will have no effect except making them even less pointless to try to get.

The problem is that dupes shed rads too fast without medical intervention and the stages of sickness are pretty lenient. The rads shed per cycle, and minimums for each level of sickness, should be halved.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

A dupe removes 100 rads/cycle

I think it's -60 per bath use (reduced from the 100 it was at the beginning). Dupes start having symptoms at 100 rads absorbed but vomiting starts at 500 if I'm not mistaken. I've only seen them reach 100 if there were multiple wheezeworts all over the base for cooling or they start loitering for too long near the fallen satellite, otherwise they won't get sick.

Reducing removed rads even to -30 per bath use, would not have much of a dent in new bases (more than a full cycle moving around the top of the space biome) but some totally dug out unprotected ones would show problems.

Resistances doesn't matter because radiation is very easy to confine.

You could have dupes remove 1 rad per whole cycle and start having symptoms at 10 and it would still not "be enough" with some basic engineering, like adding a few layers of tiles between solars and base. Only dupes on rockets would be hurt.

9 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Reducing removed rads even to -30 per bath use, would not have much of a dent in new bases (more than a full cycle moving around the top of the space biome) but some totally dug out unprotected ones would show problems.

That`s my point. Make it a threat on the radiated planetoid where it should be one but not on the starting ones so shinebugs aren`t a danger.

39 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Only dupes on rockets would be hurt.

It might be interesting if you had to consider radiation protection in space at least through the rad pills. Some might consider an extra layer of lead tiles on the top of the module but in the end it might be jsut another thing to consider when doing rockets. IMO it should only matter on longer trips though.

14 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

It might be interesting if you had to consider radiation protection in space at least through the rad pills.

Consider the tedium, though. We don't have good mechanics for putting items inside rockets, nor for sorting food by rot (to feed pilots seafood).

The DLC is rather unfinished...

10 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

That`s my point. Make it a threat on the radiated planetoid where it should be one but not on the starting ones so shinebugs aren`t a danger.

It might be interesting if you had to consider radiation protection in space at least through the rad pills. Some might consider an extra layer of lead tiles on the top of the module but in the end it might be jsut another thing to consider when doing rockets. IMO it should only matter on longer trips though.

Rad pills for space would be a bridge too far I think, unless atmo suits blocked some radiation. Astronauts in the real world deal fine with the radiation they get.

The problem is just that my dupes can literally go stand in a pile of molten sucrose that has several thousand rads a cycle from radioactive contaminants, and the time it takes for them to build a few things means they at worst get a minor penalty for a cycle. The temperature of it all is a bigger threat than the radiation through an insulating suit, in conditions that make normal sources of radiation like reactor meltdowns and Beeta Hives look pitiful.

A dupe with 160 rads shouldn't just be kinda tired until peeing a few times, basically.

16 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Rad pills for space would be a bridge too far I think, unless atmo suits blocked some radiation. Astronauts in the real world deal fine with the radiation they get.

Even if they remoed 10 rads/cycle (1/6th of the current) that would take like 10 cycles before they get first symptoms and that`s assuming the top of the module doesn`t block anything. You`d only need to consider it for longer journeys.

16 hours ago, Nebbie said:

The problem is just that my dupes can literally go stand in a pile of molten sucrose that has several thousand rads a cycle from radioactive contaminants, and the time it takes for them to build a few things means they at worst get a minor penalty for a cycle.

Maybe the sickness threshold should be lowered as well. As i said in the OP radiation becomes useful way before it becomes a danger. Meanwhile it should be a danger in the useful levels. Dupes working near 3-4 wheezeworts for 1/4th of a cycle should need some sort of protection or get radiation sickness.

Archived