Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Electroely

Please make spiders less annoying to befriend

I'll preface this by saying: I'm loving the Webber update so far. Making spider friendship last forever was a great way to make spider armies so much more fun to control, and the whistle is almost on-par with Wendy's rework in terms of allowing for better control of followers. I'm plenty satisfied as-is.

I only have a few complaints; they're not too major but they really bog down the entire gameplay for me.

For one, friendly spiders eating meat is a huge annoyance. Racing them for mob drops is hard (and sometimes outright impossible), and my friends definitely don't like it when they lose meat they dropped because I was nearby. (I even had a friend lose their hatching tallbird egg...). I understand some could say "why are you dropping meat in the first place" or "tallbirds are pointless to raise", but this isn't about myself; I don't want to punish my friends for playing "inefficiently" just because of my character choice.

Another thing is the insanity aura; everyone that isn't Webber suffers from me being nearby because my spiders actively drain their sanity. I understand spiders are scary, but... wouldn't those cute smiles help a bit?
unknown.png

One last significant complaint I have is losing all my spiders when I disconnect. I often take short breaks while I play, to avoid eye strain and headaches and the such, but with how much monster meat I invest into a decently-sized army it feels awful having to disconnect and lose them all, especially when they decide to walk by the base and attack my friends and Chester. I feel like disconnection shouldn't even have a gameplay effect - I'd rather not get punished for wanting to get a drink, for example.

A lot of my more minor complaints have already been addressed (like having to tame spiders separately from mutating them and them attacking walls despite being friendly), but I still have a couple more:
- Friendly spiders blocking placement makes it annoying to do certain things while they're befriended
- Picking up spiders, especially specific ones, can be difficult when Webber doesn't get access to some of the cheaper sleeping items like Wickerbottom's Sleepytime Stories. Traps are expensive and kind of annoying to use, but I do use them when I have to.

6 hours ago, Electroely said:

Picking up spiders, especially specific ones, can be difficult when Webber doesn't get access to some of the cheaper sleeping items like Wickerbottom's Sleepytime Stories. Traps are expensive and kind of annoying to use, but I do use them when I have to.

I don't have a big issue with that tbh. You only need traps for the first time you catch a spider. Afterwards, it becomes officially homeless, so you can put it to sleep by using the Shoo Box during the day.
Also, you can render a lot of spiders homeless in one go using a razor. But I suppose that could be a bit mean...

Then again, maybe traps are too expensive and spiders should learn to pick grass and twigs to compensate. :D

On 6/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, Electroely said:

For one, friendly spiders eating meat is a huge annoyance. Racing them for mob drops is hard (and sometimes outright impossible), and my friends definitely don't like it when they lose meat they dropped because I was nearby. (I even had a friend lose their hatching tallbird egg...). I understand some could say "why are you dropping meat in the first place" or "tallbirds are pointless to raise", but this isn't about myself; I don't want to punish my friends for playing "inefficiently" just because of my character choice.

With my tests, I've found that tamed spiders put into the defense mode by the webby whistle will not go after meat on the ground. I'm not 100% sure how long the defense mode lasts, but make sure you blow your whistle when the mob goes down

image.png.b490ce2cfb2a9a132775bb530d3770d1.png