Creatures no longer spawn outside their biome

I came back to DST after a hiatus of around 6 months and was ecstatic to see the variety of world generation settings ( new settings and selection). But when I spawned i realized that creatures only spawned in their own biomes? In my past server, I had beefalos going on rampage on every biome, wrecking pigs/tall birds. But now it just seems kind of empty? Btw i had beefalo spawn turned on "insane". Is there a setting to turn on "Spawn outside respective biome" or a Mod that allows this?

8 minutes ago, Rommmy said:

I came back to DST after a hiatus of around 6 months and was ecstatic to see the variety of world generation settings ( new settings and selection). But when I spawned i realized that creatures only spawned in their own biomes? In my past server, I had beefalos going on rampage on every biome, wrecking pigs/tall birds. But now it just seems kind of empty? Btw i had beefalo spawn turned on "insane". Is there a setting to turn on "Spawn outside respective biome" or a Mod that allows this?

In my current solo world there was a beefalo that ventured outside of their savanna. I think it was the one I tamed however. Settings are untouched and I only use geometric placement, combined status and minimap.

Theory:

As far as I know in theory beefalo are not tied to a biome, they are simply spawned there naturally. But the herd mechanics are some of the more complex behaviors. Beefalo can split their herd, create new ones and the herd doesn't have a simple center location as volt goats for example have, but its more dynamic.

Also I think they have a similar anti overpopulation mechanic as rock lobsters, so they shouldn't completely overrun a world (anymore). So the "insane" setting you mentioned might just influence the initial spawns but I assume they will still follow anti overpopulation.

Then there have been single reports of beefalo behaving weird and being buggy in very, very long runs with thousands of days. But that might be worlds that are several patches old.

But all of that is just something I read or heard. Never looked at the actual code or tested it myself.

To answer your question, No. You cannot have mobs spawn outside their biome even on ' insane' setting.

The previous 'insane' settings that made mobs spawn everywhere was unplayable because of lag. It was for trolling.

But if you are just looking for troll worlds and, then yes, it would be nice to add a 'chaos' feature that brings back the previous insane world generation

3 hours ago, JWalker1311 said:

To answer your question, No. You cannot have mobs spawn outside their biome even on ' insane' setting.

The previous 'insane' settings that made mobs spawn everywhere was unplayable because of lag. It was for trolling.

But if you are just looking for troll worlds and, then yes, it would be nice to add a 'chaos' feature that brings back the previous insane world generation

I KNEW IT. 
How long has this been a setting? I created an "everything set to insane" world about 5 months ago and it was fantastic. 
I made the same world again last month and it was essentially just a regular world with slightly more grass. Extremely disappointing. 

4 hours ago, JWalker1311 said:

It was only unplayably laggy if you set a lot of things to insane. If all you do is set beefalo to insane it works just fine. Not sure why you'd want so many beefalo, though.

Archived