Preserving only as much as one needs to

With the most recent update and the average endgame player seeming to want to preserve literally all of their food in some kind perfect storage, I find myself wondering...why do we need to preserve all of that food ..?

The purpose of preserving food is in order to hold dupes over until the next batch arrives, so is there any problem with keeping as much as one needs and then letting the rest rot away for more dirt/pair...?

32 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

With the most recent update and the average endgame player seeming to want to preserve literally all of their food in some kind perfect storage, I find myself wondering...why do we need to preserve all of that food ..?

The purpose of preserving food is in order to hold dupes over until the next batch arrives, so is there any problem with keeping as much as one needs and then letting the rest rot away for more dirt/pair...?

If you have mostly wild farms I would say sure let it rot, if you are putting resources into farming plants then I would say preserve unless you are overflowing.
I prefer to simply automate it so that the farms are only in uptime when there is a demand for food. Otherwise those resources go elsewhere or storage.

Yeh i always was baffled why poeple sit at literaly milions of calories. Experiment 52B now partially gives a reason for that but still even with this im up for controlling my food flow (which i am always failing at)

12 hours ago, crbd115 said:

I prefer to simply automate it so that the farms are only in uptime when there is a demand for food. Otherwise those resources go elsewhere or storage.

im curious about your method of controlling the farms in this way 

23 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Are we not going to talk about the resin tree? That thing will eat more calories than you can possibly produce.

If you have surplus calories make some sweet isoresin, don't let it go to waste.

Not in my case :razz: The resin tree does not eat as much as I throw to it. So the food gets spoiled at resin tree plate and slowly turns into polluted soil.

Sending food from 4 asteroids via planetary launcher.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3712449c4d3f01986597cfdbb3894a98.png

3 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

Not in my case :razz: The resin tree does not eat as much as I throw to it. So the food gets spoiled at resin tree plate and slowly turns into polluted soil.

Thats impressive. It was easily eating 56000kcal/per cycle in my testing. How much food are you making?

8 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Thats impressive. It was easily eating 56000kcal/per cycle in my testing. How much food are you making?

I do not know; currently the main base has 30mln kkal (15mln kkal the second base) and the number is growing as the launcher cannot cope with the volume. I need to think about more radiation to make for the launcher. Also the food comes in butches (due to launcher nature) and sometimes it is too many and sometimes there is a window of no food.

Most food is coming from automated fish farms. I need a lot of seeds for them and hence mutant plants are not really a good option for me.

I use pip planted seed farms.

The problem is I do not know where to use the isoresin as I do not have hydrogen rockets (in the current build it is not needed sadly). I would not use it for thermal constructions as they are already built with ceramic and changes are hard (and really unnecessary) to make when they are functioning.

You can use excess food to make sand. Environmental more friendly than crashing igneous rock.

also the trick is to use high kkal food! I do not send raw food but always cooked to increase kkal value per kg.

Archived