lore on the merms

Merms have always been a weird creature to me like they don't seem important at first but every time i try to make sense of them. this is my first time trying to find lore at all, so most of the stuff i say will be 99% bullcrap. so we know the merms were an ancient species/civilization since they existed before maxwells reign as seen by maxwell's examination of them, but i wonder how they got to the constant. there are 2 explanations to this for me, either they originated from the constant were advanced enough to get to the gorge had become cursed and somehow got back to the constant or were a species which originated from the gorge and were cursed by the maw and came to the constant as an "escape" which turned out bad for them. either way they somehow showed up in different dimensions meaning they had some advanced form to the. thing is when they came to the constant they somehow reverted to basic instincts this is weird but its probably because they evolved to survive since being intelligent did not benefit them in anyway so they reverted to base instincts since their old ones were not needed which is why we see that merms in the gorge are more advanced since those instincts have a use since if they didn't the gnaw could subjugate them further. this is stuff we all learned before RoT but with the new trailer i'm more confused on the merms since we see two characters highlighted in the eye of the storm after the moonstorm event wurt/merms and woodie. woodie makes sense since his curse is based off the full moon but why the merms. they seem to be aggravated once this happens, so what connection do they have to the moon. were they an ancient civilization that had connections to the moon until the moon betrayed them or they were always against the moon are they now having bad blood with the moon do i know how the hell i'm going to end this f*** no (sorry for the bad explanation on things i just couldn't stop delving into merm rabbit hole they are just such a weird creature in the constant that i really want to know more about tell me what's wrong with any info i gave and any speculation you have and why i'm a dummy dum with my explanations)

7 minutes ago, Dextops said:

thing is when they came to the constant they somehow reverted to basic instincts this is weird but its probably because they evolved to survive since being intelligent did not benefit them in anyway so they reverted to base instincts since their old ones were not needed which is why we see that merms in the gorge are more advanced since those instincts have a use 

There's a lot to digest in this post, but I'll only nitpick this. IMO, it's not that the Merms in the Gorge are smart it's that the Goats were smart. The Goats turned into Merms via Gnaw and overtime those converted Goats' intelligence (now Merms) deteriorated due to the transformation.

"Sammy's facilities are slipping, but you didn't hear it from me." - Pipton

Pipton comments on Sammy's deteriorating mental state—and we can see it in Sammy's lines. They're often confused and forgetful. Presumably, at the height of the curse they become much closer to the Merms we know today.

there 2 types of merms the ones that turn into them and the ones that alredy exist the gorge merms and normal merms can be 2 differend types of merms same goes to the fisher merms from shipwreck there just differend just because something in the sky can transform you into a merm dont mean that all merms were something else first like woodie can transform into other things but does that mean every beaver were humans? no of course not and why the merms get angry is because they feel the energy that came whit it and they know that it cant be good

29 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

There's a lot to digest in this post,

yeah i really could've done a lot better with organizing this post up to now all my posts have been short or just witty comments this is my first in depth post and thanks for clearing up why the merms seemed to have devolved it was something i had a lot of trouble trying to figure out :wilson_love:  

Archived