Last game Sep 2019 - is the game more challenging now?

Hi, I really enjoyed playing ONI when it was released, fondly remember the first really challenging playthroughs. After understanding the system it was nice to explore all tech and launch rockets but after a while there was no incentive to start yet another game for me. (I was already starting on a tough planet, tough settings and using house rules such as no recreational buildings, always promote, no exploits)

I would love to play again if there is way to recapture the initial challenge. It was a great gaming experience.

So has the game become more challenging since 2019? Maybe with the DLC? Or do mods exists nowadays that make it challenging? Any additional house rules that will make it a challenge? 

I guess you mean you played either Volcanea, The Badlands or Oasisse, which are still the hardest starts in the base game. I think the base game hasn't change much in difficulty, but the DLC swamp start is easier than the easiest was before.

A popular mod for giving yourself a new challenge is MiniBase, which I'm sure inspired them in some aspects of the DLC. There are some other maps or system changes available as mods which you can look through. There are also achievements which can be challenging, especially if you try to do as many of them in a single map as you can.

It might not be the challenge you're after, but I think you may find yourself enjoying the updated game or especially the DLC if only for the new experience, tech paths and content they've made along the way.

Archived